• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are South Africa now world no 2 in tests ?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Well I will be gracious in defeat....the Saffies have played very well to win the test series in Pakistan.

Now they have won 4 on the trot 2-0 v NZL, 2-1 v IND, 2-1 v PAK and 1-0 v Pak (away).....

Impressive stuff from Captain Smith and his merry men...
Well, can they call themselves the 2nd best team in the world now irrespective of the official rankings ? What are your opinions ?

I'm sure my good friend Richard "First Chance" Dickinson will be eager to reply - he must be absolutely stoked the team he loves above all (well with the possible exception of Manchester United ....wait you all do know Dicko supports Man U right ???) are on a roll :laugh:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Your habit of calling out English posters got pretty dull a while ago tbh. Especially considering you only seem to know three of them (us?).

Salamuddin

International Debutant
South Africa are heading in the right direction......Smith is providing good leadership....the team has a strong pace attack and Paul Harris is as decent as any spinner they've had since Apartheid ended.

Still need to strengthen the batting though....Amla isn't cut out at this level IMO and Gibbs has seen better days.

Big away tours coming up against India and England though....but the benchmark for any international team is Australia and that's gotta be Smith's ultimate goal. To lead a team that will beat Australia in 2 seasons time.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Your habit of calling out English posters got pretty dull a while ago tbh. Especially considering you only seem to know three of them (us?).
TBF, if Salam isn't being accused of hating everything SAfrican he's being accused of hating everything English...

And, well, everything except Pakistani, really.

Anyway... yes, I hope SA are once again going in the right direction and ever since we failed to beat Sri Lanka at home we've lost any right to be called 2nd-best IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A little team? :blink:

Looks fairly big to me TBH.

Well, unless Australia too come crashing down following Martyn, McGrath, Warne, Langer, Gilchrist and Hayden.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Probably a toss-up between SA & India right now, and still a heck of a lot of daylight between them & Aus.

Matt79

Global Moderator
A little team? :blink:

Looks fairly big to me TBH.

Well, unless Australia too come crashing down following Martyn, McGrath, Warne, Langer, Gilchrist and Hayden.
Nah, we're going to increase the gap. That's right, you heard it here first! ;)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Anyway, I thought that #2 in Cricket was automatically whoever didn't hold the Ashes? Are there other teams? :ph34r:

Beleg

International Regular
lol

england are no where near being the second best

its south africa pretty easily

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Probably a toss-up between SA & India right now, and still a heck of a lot of daylight between them & Aus.
Well its a close run thing. Id back England to beat SA virtually any day of the week and whilst Im not trying anything to take away Indias victory in England but bad light and lots of rain saved India from a drawn series.

As for the SL series, England were clearly the better team. Im just making the comment and not saying it should count for anything as the series was fairly drawn. However, it wasnt the train smash people make out.

I think with these teams its pretty much a case of them all being capable of beating each other depending on form and fitness.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Well its a close run thing. Id back England to beat SA virtually any day of the week and whilst Im not trying anything to take away Indias victory in England but bad light and lots of rain saved India from a drawn series.

As for the SL series, England were clearly the better team. Im just making the comment and not saying it should count for anything as the series was fairly drawn. However, it wasnt the train smash people make out.

I think with these teams its pretty much a case of them all being capable of beating each other depending on form and fitness.
I'd fancy South Africa's chances against England tbh....England I feel will struggle to get 20 wickets away from home without a fully fit Flintoff.
And I fear Simon Jones may never play again for England which would be a great shame because I rate him the most of talented of England's bowlers.