• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andrew Symonds is at fault himself

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I don't condone racial abuse of Andrew Symonds but this whole thing could have been easily avoided if he had been a lot more circumspect.

By opening his big mouth about how humble the Aussies were relative to the Indians (which honestly is the biggest load of codswallop I've heard), he wasn't exactly going to endear himself to the Indian players/crowds.
He should have shown a lot more common sense and decorum and I think he may have saved himself a lot of trouble.

It's a bit ridiculous to put all the blame on Sreesanth or the opposition players/crowd when you guys are not exactly saints yourself. :)

In any case Australia are the best team in the world....sure they perform but I don't see why they need to make comments like what Symonds made....it showed a total lack of sportsmanship and grace This is the think that really irks me about the Aussie players....they need to show their moral superiority in addition to their cricketing one.
The latter IMO is more than enough.
I haven't heard a single Aussie official or publication censuring Symonds for that. Which is very , very disappointing IMO.
If India want to go overboard with their celebrations that's their problem - no skin off my nose.
Australia IMO have to take some of the blame for the bad blood that has existed in this series.

Last edited:

anoop4real

U19 12th Man
I don't condone racial abuse of Andrew Symonds but this whole thing could have been easily avoided if he had been a lot more circumspect.

By opening his big mouth about how humble the Aussies were relative to the Indians (which honestly is the biggest load of codswallop I've heard), he wasn't exactly going to endear himself to the Indian players/crowds.
He should have shown a lot more common sense and decorum and I think he may have saved himself a lot of trouble.

It's a bit ridiculous to put all the blame on Sreesanth or the opposition players/crowd when you guys are not exactly saints yourself. :)

In any case Australia are the best team in the world....sure they perform but I don't see why they need to make comments like what Symonds made....it showed a total lack of sportsmanship and grace This is the think that really irks me about the Aussie players....they need to show their moral superiority in addition to their cricketing one.
The latter IMO is more than enough.
I haven't heard a single Aussie official or publication censuring Symonds for that. Which is very , very disappointing IMO.
If India want to go overboard with their celebrations that's their problem - no skin off my nose.
Australia IMO have to take some of the blame for the bad blood that has existed in this series.
Yo this is cool.......dude..... i go with u:cool:

archie mac

International Coach
Still can't see the problem, India should not let the Aussies get to them, they do this before and during every series (as do other countries) these days, and I wonder if it has had some effect on India's form?

I long for the days when players use do let their cricket to the talking:@

Again I think it just shows their are a few idiots in every country at almost every cricket ground, no big deal imho

The reporter on tele, said he was right above the trouble spots, but could not hear anything and he was told about it later, so it must have been a very tiny portion of the crowd

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Still can't see the problem, India should not let the Aussies get to them, they do this before and during every series (as do other countries) these days, and I wonder if it has had some effect on India's form?

I long for the days when players use do let their cricket to the talking:@

Again I think it just shows their are a few idiots in every country at almost every cricket ground, no big deal imho

The reporter on tele, said he was right above the trouble spots, but could not hear anything and he was told about it later, so it must have been a very tiny portion of the crowd

If it is all just a bit of fun on Symonds part and just "gamesmanship" or mental disintegration if you like, why make such a big deal of the fact that he has copped some stick then ??? :)

archie mac

International Coach
If it is all just a bit of fun on Symonds part and just "gamesmanship" or mental disintegration if you like, why make such a big deal of the fact that he has copped some stick then ??? :)
I thought my post suggested I did not think it a big deal?:unsure:

archie mac

International Coach
Yeah I shouldn't have quoted :laugh: .....was talking more in general terms
No worries, I can remember when they use to report on the cricket, not whether Shane Warne was having another affair, or some idiot in the crowd yelling out monkey:@

I must be honest I could not care less, show me the highlights of the match:)

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I KNOW...I KNOW...PICK ME!

Is it because it sounded racist miss?

Or am I answering the wrong question?

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Firstly, yeah, Symonds' comments before the series were poor and his behaviour during the series has been as well, but, no excuses or justification whatsoever for any racial comments. Yeah yeah, it could've been avoided etc, but the crowd didn't have to do anything to Symonds.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
That is the biggest load of crap I have ever read.

Australian supporters had to put up with the idea that we apparently have the only racist crowds in the world - and then you come out with this tripe that Symonds brought it on himself.

I don't care if he pissed on Sreesanth - its no justification for him to be racially abused.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Dire. So a black person can't make any controversial comments without provoking racial abuse. Pathetic attempt to turn an instance of an individual being wronged into the bad guy. By that standard, any racial abuse Sreesanth cops this summer will be his own fault because he makes controversial comments

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Yes, how dare he be black....

If he hadn't opened his big mouth in the first place, he wouldn't have been targeted.
The fact that the taunts were directed towards him and not any of the other players is pretty much testament to that......
As I said, he didn't exactly help his own case with some ill advised comments.

Matt79

Global Moderator
So if I make racially denigrating comments at you now Salamuddin, because I think you're talking crap in this thread, do you deserve it?

archie mac

International Coach
If he hadn't opened his big mouth in the first place, he wouldn't have been targeted.
The fact that the taunts were directed towards him and not any of the other players is pretty much testament to that......
Well, he is the only black player in the Aussie team, so do you think they would have made the monkey calls to any of the other players?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
That is the biggest load of crap I have ever read.

Australian supporters had to put up with the idea that we apparently have the only racist crowds in the world - and then you come out with this tripe that Symonds brought it on himself.

I don't care if he pissed on Sreesanth - its no justification for him to be racially abused.

You cannot deny that Symonds played a big part in fueling the bad blood that exists between the teams......what ensued IMO is unfortunate but he should have refrained from making those comments ITFP.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well, there's also the fact that he's black and the other players aren't.

Maybe a couple of people in the crowd weren't being racist though, just like when the South Africans were in Australia and a couple of people were yelling 'Kaffir'...they weren't being racist, they were selling lime leaves! :happy: