• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin Tendulkar

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Anyone pointificating that Tendulkar's career has had more lows than highs needs 2nd lesson to be devoted to "cricket".

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
stupid question... If Sachin was not a level tempered guy, we might have actually seen a better answer.
I don't think it's a stupid question. I'm not gonna talk about too long ago, but certainly in the last year or two even though Tendulkar's average would be decent in that period, I haven't seen him play any good innings under pressure or in difficult conditions and I've followed pretty much most of the games if not all since that period.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think it's a stupid question. I'm not gonna talk about too long ago, but certainly in the last year or two even though Tendulkar's average would be decent in that period, I haven't seen him play any good innings under pressure or in difficult conditions and I've followed pretty much most of the games if not all since that period.
So? He had a poor run. Almost every player has had one in his career. How does that poor run become a reference for his entire career ?

Still stupid.

jeevan

International 12th Man
The last 2 innings from Tendulkar were certainly delivering the goods under pressure or under difficult conditions.( For most of the pathetic Indian innings in the 5th ODI, he was the only one to score any runs at all and ended with 47.)

Pretty ironic to make this particular comment today. It is only the comparison with his own previous self of several years ago that makes him look bad.

ps. I too was carried away after T20 and wanted Gambhir & co to carry on. But the gulf is too wide.

Last edited:

Salmon Butt

Cricket Spectator
Mmm..ok.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He didn't ask him about the last two years though. He asked him about his career as a whole. So it was a very stupid question indeed.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Given below are the odi batting stats for Indian batsmen for the year 2007. These are while playing for India against non-minnows.

Tendulkar tops the list.

Anyone who thinks he hasn't done well this year or hasn't performed in pressure situations should get his eye sight and advisedly some other parts of the body examined too.

Code:
[B]Batsman	Inns	Runs	Balls	Avg	St Rt	100's	50's[/B]
SRT 	21	1005	1245	47.9	80.7	1	9
Yuvraj	15	709	820	47.3	86.5	1	2
Ganguly	18	717	988	39.8	72.6	0	7
Dhoni	14	557	648	39.8	86.0	0	5
Dravid	19	721	866	37.9	83.3	0	8
Uthappa	9	320	247	35.6	129.6	0	2
Karthik	10	287	379	28.7	75.7	0	1
Gambhir	11	206	301	18.7	68.4	0	1

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
He has, in his eleven fifties, four scores in the nineties. In fact three of the top four and five of the top eight innings played by Indian batsmen are by him.

Code:
[B][SIZE="3"]Batsman Date	    Against	Score[/SIZE][/B]
Yuvraj	 05/10/2007	 AUS	121
[B]Sachin	 31/01/2007	 WIN	100
Sachin	 24/08/2007	 ENG	99
Sachin	 26/06/2007	 SAF	99[/B]
Ganguly	 21/01/2007	 WIN	98
Yuvraj	 17/02/2007	 SRL	95
[B]Sachin	 05/09/2007	 ENG	94
Sachin	 29/06/2007	 SAF	93[/B]
Dravid	 24/08/2007	 ENG	92
Uthappa	 15/04/2006	 ENG	86
[B]Sachin	 08/10/2007	 AUS	79[/B]
Dravid	 31/01/2007	 WIN	78
Dravid	 26/06/2007	 SAF	74
Ganguly	 23/06/2007	 IRE	73
Yuvraj	 02/09/2007	 ENG	72
Ganguly	 27/08/2007	 ENG	72
[B]Sachin	 02/09/2007	 ENG	71[/B]
Yuvraj	 30/08/2007	 ENG	71
Uthappa	 27/01/2007	 WIN	70
Ganguly	 31/01/2007	 WIN	68
Dhoni	 14/02/2007	 SRL	67
Dravid	 14/02/2007	 SRL	66
Karthik	 24/01/2007	 WIN	63
Ganguly	 11/02/2007	 SRL	62
Dhoni	 21/01/2007	 WIN	62
Yuvraj	 01/07/2007	 SAF	61
Dravid	 23/03/2007	 SRL	60
[B]Sachin	 27/01/2007	 WIN	60[/B]
Ganguly	 02/09/2007	 ENG	59
Dhoni	 02/10/2007	 AUS	58
Ganguly	 17/02/2007	 SRL	58
Dravid	 27/01/2007	 WIN	57
Dravid	 27/08/2007	 ENG	56
[B]Sachin	 30/08/2007	 ENG	55
Sachin	 11/02/2007	 SRL	54[/B]
Dravid	 21/01/2007	 WIN	54
Ganguly	 05/09/2007	 ENG	53
Uthappa	 17/02/2007	 SRL	52
Dhoni	 08/10/2007	 AUS	50
Dhoni	 08/09/2007	 ENG	50

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Was the question about him, or the team, experiencing more lows than highs. Anyways, stupid question, because I think all that "lows" and "highs" stuff is a bit silly. It's just about enjoying it, and it is possible to enjoy a game even though you're losing more than winning.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Was the question about him, or the team, experiencing more lows than highs. Anyways, stupid question, because I think all that "lows" and "highs" stuff is a bit silly. It's just about enjoying it, and it is possible to enjoy a game even though you're losing more than winning.
It was specifically about him. The electronic media has been on a Sachin bashing trip in India now for over a year. It s amazing what these guys will talk. Sometimes the cricketers on the same show feel embarassed by the vitriol.

The other day Zaheer Abbas said on an Indian channel, "you guys have no idea how lucky you are to have a player like Sachin. Please do not treat him so shabbily"

Unfortunately there are millions of Indians who have absolutely no great knowledge of the game and what the electronic media says has a great impact on these idiots. They just parrot what they hear.

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
So? He had a poor run. Almost every player has had one in his career. How does that poor run become a reference for his entire career ?

Still stupid.

The last 2 innings from Tendulkar were certainly delivering the goods under pressure or under difficult conditions.( For most of the pathetic Indian innings in the 5th ODI, he was the only one to score any runs at all and ended with 47.)

Pretty ironic to make this particular comment today. It is only the comparison with his own previous self of several years ago that makes him look bad.

ps. I too was carried away after T20 and wanted Gambhir & co to carry on. But the gulf is too wide.
He didn't ask him about the last two years though. He asked him about his career as a whole. So it was a very stupid question indeed.

I just talked about last year or two as an example because that's when I've seen most of the games. Even though he's average may be higher, point is he doesn't deliver under pressure like for example, against England when they were in India or SA. Even the last game against Aus, even if he was the highest run scorer, he never looked threatening at all and struggled to get his runs, you can see that by his strike rate. Check out this article http://content-www.cricinfo.com/india/content/story/303542.html

"Figures say that Sachin has not been able to perform under pressure," he said. "Sachin has big records to his name but until he wins matches for India in these conditions, people will raise fingers at him."

That's Kapil Dev saying it, and he's talking about his overall career, not just last two or three years.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Considering his average in Tests is somewhere in the sixties, I'd say that quote is wrong. And in ODIs, his average in matches won is 57.39.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I just talked about last year or two as an example because that's when I've seen most of the games. Even though he's average may be higher, point is he doesn't deliver under pressure like for example, against England when they were in India or SA. Even the last game against Aus, even if he was the highest run scorer, he never looked threatening at all and struggled to get his runs, you can see that by his strike rate. Check out this article http://content-www.cricinfo.com/india/content/story/303542.html

"Figures say that Sachin has not been able to perform under pressure," he said. "Sachin has big records to his name but until he wins matches for India in these conditions, people will raise fingers at him."

That's Kapil Dev saying it, and he's talking about his overall career, not just last two or three years.
This has to be the most tired cricket stereotype in history.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Strike rate in the latest ODI was an issue??? India had ten more overs left at the end of that disaster. Sachin could've taken another 24 deliveries for his 47 and noone would've cared in that match.

Also Tendulkar top scored in the very next match after the Kapil article, and India got a crucial 1st innings lead of 280 runs and won that test.

funnygirl

State Regular
i won't blame Tendulkar like a lot of ungrateful fans .But he way past his best . I mean his best .

And his century against Bangaldesh was one of the pathetic innings i have ever seen.

Tendulkar is a legend for what he was in the past .He played plenty of matches in pressure situations as well . But later, i was expecting him to play at Lords ,he didn't .

But he did score against Bangladesh a meanigless century at a ''snail '' pace . Which was extremely boring to watch . it is not about that century the way he batted ,too slow .Too much an '' i have to care my average '' innings.