• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Styris or Collingwod-who's the better player?

Who is the better player?

• Total voters

Flem274*

123/5
These two have similar roles for their respective teams and I'm interested on who people think is better.

pup11

International Coach
I don't think there is much to choose between the two, but i still think Collingwood has improved a lot in the last 2 seasons as a batsman and there seems to be lot more flair in his batting (but he should stop visiting strip-clubs :laugh:) so i would rate him slightly ahead of Styris as a batsman, but Styris is a slightly better bowler than Collingwood because he bowls his cutters very well in the middle-overs and Collingwood is easily the better fielder.

thierry henry

International Coach
I don't think there is much to choose between the two, but i still think Collingwood has improved a lot in the last 2 seasons as a batsman and there seems to be lot more flair in his batting (but he should stop visiting strip-clubs :laugh:) so i would rate him slightly ahead of Styris as a batsman, but Styris is a slightly better bowler than Collingwood because he bowls his cutters very well in the middle-overs and Collingwood is easily the better fielder.

I don't know how you could say there was more flair in Collingwood's batting than Styris' tbh. Styris has the potential to score quicker and is the bigger 6 hitter.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Piggo because of my Kiwi bias but as you bring it up as batsman and bowlers there is very little between them, equal terms on batting, Styris the slightly stronger bowler, yet Collingwood also has superb fielding on his side. To great team workhorses respectively, underrated and underappreciated players

thierry henry

International Coach
I think Styris is a much better bowler itbt. Although I don't really dig the whole "slow off-cutters" thing that has become pretty much his permanent stock-standard for about the last 3 years. He actually had more success in the years 2002-2004ish bowling seam up, dead straight at 130kph (in ODIs).

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think Styris is a much better bowler itbt. Although I don't really dig the whole "slow off-cutters" thing that has become pretty much his permanent stock-standard for about the last 3 years. He actually had more success in the years 2002-2004ish bowling seam up, dead straight at 130kph (in ODIs).
His knees don't really allow him to do that anymore though; he was reduced to about 120km/hr mostly and it was just too hitable so he reverted to the changes of pace he employs now. He's really not a very good bowler anymore, but he certainly was under-rated in that regard in about 2005.

I definitely wouldnt have voted Styris a year ago, based on the fact that I rate the batting fairly evenly with Styris's bowling significantly better. But Collingwood's bowling is on the rise (bowling a little quicker, getting more swing, even becoming more accurate..) while Styris has gone from an allrounder to a batsman who can bowl a bit - like Collingwood - so it's all fairly close now. I voted for Styris anyway because he has a better batting technique. :p

thierry henry

International Coach
His knees don't really allow him to do that anymore though; he was reduced to about 120km/hr mostly and it was just too hitable so he reverted to the changes of pace he employs now. He's really not a very good bowler anymore, but he certainly was under-rated in that regard in about 2005.

I definitely wouldnt have voted Styris a year ago, based on the fact that I rate the batting fairly evenly with Styris's bowling significantly better. But Collingwood's bowling is on the rise (bowling a little quicker, getting more swing, even becoming more accurate..) while Styris has gone from an allrounder to a batsman who can bowl a bit - like Collingwood - so it's all fairly close now. I voted for Styris anyway because he has a better batting technique. :p
His knees? I'll take your word for it although I'm impressed you have this inside knowledge of Styris' body parts.

I know he's had injuries but I just made the assumption that he was back to full fitness and ready to go. It'd certainly explain the change in approach to bowling, although I've still seen him bowl the odd "quicker ball" (i.e. normal ball) around the 125-130kph mark.

Styris' bowling was embarrassingly dire in the lead up to the world cup, he went something like 10-12 games and took 1 wicket for 200 or something. However, it was excellent at the World Cup. I daresay it'll only be downhill from here if he can't bowl over 120kph. He might as well give it away completely and concentrate even more on his batting for what I assume will be the last 3-4 years of his career (I hope he stays around that long, NZ players have a habit of retiring young.)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
thierry henry said:
His knees? I'll take your word for it although I'm impressed you have this inside knowledge of Styris' body parts.
There was something on cricinfo a year or so back about it IIRC. He's had ongoing knee problems and his bowling makes it worse. Given he's primarily a batsman these days, he decided to change the approach to his bowling to preserve himself a bit more. Bracewell wanted him to bowl off spin but they compromised to give us what we have now...

thierry henry said:
although I've still seen him bowl the odd "quicker ball" (i.e. normal ball) around the 125-130kph mark.
Yeah, he's still capable of it in a one-off sense; he's just not capable of doing it consistently without really hurting his knees.

thierry henry said:
Styris' bowling was embarrassingly dire in the lead up to the world cup, he went something like 10-12 games and took 1 wicket for 200 or something. However, it was excellent at the World Cup. I daresay it'll only be downhill from here if he can't bowl over 120kph. He might as well give it away completely and concentrate even more on his batting for what I assume will be the last 3-4 years of his career (I hope he stays around that long, NZ players have a habit of retiring young.)
Yeah, I agree. His new bowling style will be pretty dire on 99% of international pitches IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can't say I've ever rated either of them much TBH.

Hope we see a post from Beevs in the usual "how DARE you compare a Kiwi to a Durham player, you all know Liam Plunkett was better than Dayle Hadlee" manner.

analyst

U19 12th Man
The thing that makes it simple for me to answer this comparison between these players is one has a double century against Australia in Australia and one doesnt. One is one of the presently better ODI players in world cricket and the other is not. There is definitely a difference, a couple of years ago, Styris would have perhaps been on par with Collingwood, but as Collingwood was given his run in test cricket, he has really grown in confidence and is starting to become more than just your average international player.