• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

which is better, shoe goo or toegaurds?

Salixiscool

Cricket Spectator
k I have just got a new bat and want to put some protection on the toe on the bat. The thing is I don't really know weather to put shoe goo on the bottom or a toeguard. Is there any major differences between them or anything? Is one just clearly better or are they pratically the same? Some advice would be great. Thnx

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
AWTA.

They do the same job, but shoe goo is sually cheaper or the same price as a toe gaurd and you can reuse more than once. If a toe gaurd peels of, you can glue it back, but shoe goo does the same job for cheaper.

BTW, do people actually still use goo or gaurds? I asked my friend for some shoe goo and it was dried up (also, maintain the goo) so it is toatlly unuseable, but I'm not fazed.

Salixiscool

Cricket Spectator
AWTA.

They do the same job, but shoe goo is sually cheaper or the same price as a toe gaurd and you can reuse more than once. If a toe gaurd peels of, you can glue it back, but shoe goo does the same job for cheaper.

BTW, do people actually still use goo or gaurds? I asked my friend for some shoe goo and it was dried up (also, maintain the goo) so it is toatlly unuseable, but I'm not fazed.
So basically they do the job the same, its just shoe goo is better value for money?

And yeah a lot of people where I live use shoe goo or toe guards.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Hate having to reapply shoe-goo twice a season. Can never get it smooth either. Toe guards ftw.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I don't use either, cbf. Had my bat for 4 or 5 seasons and it's had hardly any wear on the bottom, and I usually tap the ground hard as hell (though I only do it twice every time). Though most of that time I've been playing on turf wickets, which I'd imagine would be much easier on the bat, expecially the pieces of **** we play on.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
So basically they do the job the same, its just shoe goo is better value for money?

And yeah a lot of people where I live use shoe goo or toe guards.
Pretty much, a tube of goo costs $10 or so and toe gaurds cost around 15 with a few more to apply it.

Also, with the goo, might be worthwhile to go to a shoe shop first. Cricket/sport shops are usually too expensive.

Once it comes off though, you be like the poster above, simply CBF. I'm in the same position now. :)

Joe Ninety

School Boy/Girl Captain
Pretty much, a tube of goo costs $10 or so and toe gaurds cost around 15 with a few more to apply it.

Also, with the goo, might be worthwhile to go to a shoe shop first. Cricket/sport shops are usually too expensive.

Once it comes off though, you be like the poster above, simply CBF. I'm in the same position now. :)
CBF gets my vote.

deeps

International 12th Man
I put a toe guard on it when it was new, its' worn off on the edge but i cbf anymore

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I never liked to put a toe on the bat. Good bats dont break from the toe often enough to put something which alters the balance of the bat a fair bit.

I mostly used put a regular tape (cloth backed) at the toe to reduce some of the stress when the ball hit the toe. Nothing more.

Some people even put a strip of tape lengthwise on the edge. It prevents chipping at the edge to some extent.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
I always thought putting toes on was about preventing water from seeping into the bat and warping it and then the subsequent damage caused by such.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I always thought putting toes on was about preventing water from seeping into the bat and warping it and then the subsequent damage caused by such.
Why would water seep into the bat? I am asking seriously because I really dont understand the situation. I presume you are saying moisture from the ground (since we are talking toe)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I also find that people when they are playing the bat in (including by hammering it with a wooden mallet) dont always pay attention to the toe. If that is done the toe is pretty sturdy.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Why would water seep into the bat? I am asking seriously because I really dont understand the situation. I presume you are saying moisture from the ground (since we are talking toe)
Becuase the toe is not treated? And it has open pores down the bottom. I know chipping is one of the reasons people put toes on, but I thought warping of the toe was also a reason. I don't know when you have played or play cricket, but when I was a youngster we played at 8:oo with dew on the grass and pitch - and you know how kids are, they want to take care of their pride and joy, hence the application of a waterproof adhesive or a piece of rubber to block and water being absorbed into the bat.