• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's the best Indian bowler ever?

Who's the best Indian bowler ever?

• Total voters

pup11

International Coach
Prasana is easily the best Indian bowler ever to play the game and i dare say he is among the top 5 spinners in the history of the game, he was truly a magician.

Bouncer

State Regular
Javagal Srinath, This guy never got the credit he deserved. worked like a horse for India, always seemed to be most threatening Indian bowlers and i am surprised he has got only my vote out of 8 votes.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Prasana is easily the best Indian bowler ever to play the game and i dare say he is among the top 5 spinners in the history of the game, he was truly a magician.
:huh: You sure you don't mean Chandrasekhar?

Bedi was easily a superior fingerspinner to Prasanna, and Chandra was a wristspinner, suggesting he could of times be better than both.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Probably be Mohammad Nissar or Amar Singh, just a shame they never got much of an opportunity to prove themselves at Test level.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Anyway, TBH I'd have to go Kapil Dev. It comes down to him or Chandrasekhar IMO, with Kumble and Bedi the next in line, and I'd almost always go for a seamer ahead of even a wristspinner unless the wristspinner is a superhuman Warne\Murali\Grimmett\Benaud\etc. (and if the seamer is a superhuman Marshall\Hadlee\etc. then the seamer easily again), so Kapil it is.

It's a great shame Nissar and Amar Singh didn't get more than the odd Test every 3 years in their day, though, a very great shame. Otherwise they could quite possibly have been recognised to be far better than anyone else. EDIT: as someone says pretty effectively just above as I was posting.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Gone for Kapil because I think he produced what he did despite almost all the factors working against him. Otherwise (or for spinners) it would be Kumble and Bedi.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Benaud's well acknowledged as one of the few ever to bowl wristspin with the requistite accuracy, while not sacrificing spin.

I mentioned Grimmett in the same post. :mellow: I could have mentioned an odd few others, too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well by common consent O'Reilly > Benaud, but Benaud was hardly bad, and it gets boring if everyone always says the same 4 names (Murali, Warne, Grimmett and O'Reilly), so I chucked Richie in for a bit of variation.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Well by common consent O'Reilly > Benaud, but Benaud was hardly bad, and it gets boring if everyone always says the same 4 names (Murali, Warne, Grimmett and O'Reilly), so I chucked Richie in for a bit of variation.
Yeah, but its interesting that you'd characterize him as superhuman. Unless of course you also consider someone like Tony Lock superhuman. And hes not even a wristspinner. 8-)