• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

OMG Ponting!!

Eclipse

International Debutant
Please tell me Im not the only one to see that shot!

I cant beleve a batsman could play a shot like that and hit it so far back.

For people who dident see it it was just a flick of his hip that landed about 20m back over fine leg absoulutly massive!

Any one seen a batsman hit a shot like that I have seen simular but never one hit that well?

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
it certainly was the shot of a man in form.
How bout Hayden though in his 80* only 1 four but 4 sixes.
and considering he only faced 87 balls, thats fairly impressive.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Yes especialy the last six went along way.

Pontings got 5 of his 11 ODI hundreds at the MCG now.

If he keeps going considering how young he still is Ponting could end with about 25 ODI 100s and at least that many Test Hundereds.

Bazza

International 12th Man
I dunno, at this rate he'd have to play until at least about 36 to get that many, and that's assuming he doesn't deteriorate once he passes ~34. Currently 14 tests 100s from 64 tests in 7 years. 11 ODI hundreds in 155 ODIs in 8 years. Just recently turned 28.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
He's 28? I thought he was a lot younger than that!

He'll certainly need to step up his performances to reach Eclipse's levels!

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Eclipse said:

Any one seen a batsman hit a shot like that I have seen simular but never one hit that well?
Yashpal Sharma of India hitting Bob Willis for a massive six over fine leg with a flick off his hip in the 1983 world cup semi final between India and England at Old Trafford.

I am sure MCG is a little bigger in the fine leg boundary then the Manchester ground but that was one hell of a shot from Sharma.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Bazzaroodoo said:
I dunno, at this rate he'd have to play until at least about 36 to get that many, and that's assuming he doesn't deteriorate once he passes ~34. Currently 14 tests 100s from 64 tests in 7 years. 11 ODI hundreds in 155 ODIs in 8 years. Just recently turned 28.
Well he will get 20 in both forms of cricket at least witch is pritty impresive.

The amount of test cricket and ODI cricket played now days compaird to when Ponting strarted is alot more so he has a good shot at 45+ international 100s.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Re: Re: OMG Ponting!!

Gotchya said:
Now please tell us he's your favourite batsmen right ? :saint:
He is one of my favorite players but what are you trying to say?

Bazza

International 12th Man
Eclipse said:
Well he will get 20 in both forms of cricket at least witch is pritty impresive.

The amount of test cricket and ODI cricket played now days compaird to when Ponting strarted is alot more so he has a good shot at 45+ international 100s.
Yes but then you look at that and he has played more ODIs than any Englishman, bar Stewart who is 39.

Dennis Amiss scored 4 hundreds in 18 ODIs and 11 in 50 test matches. His averages were 47 and 50. How did this guy not play twice as much iunternational cricket and go down as an all time great?

Anyway sorry for that digression. I would say if you average one century every 5-6 tests you've done alright for yourself, and Ponting is on course for that. As for ODIs, maybe England aren't the best side to measure by but one century every 12-15 ODIs looks like a very good record. Ponting averages 14 so that's excellent.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Re: ponting is good but what about matthew hayden

Langer's_Babe said:
matthew hayden is a better player then ricky
Maybe in defense but Ricky's shot play is outstanding. Though Hayden's not bad so to say.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Re: Re: ponting is good but what about matthew hayden

marc71178 said:
I disagree!
Why? Hayden has shown himself equally adept against quality pace and quality spin while Ponting while being one of the best players against pace today is very suspect against good spin bowlers. Hayden is right now a more complete player than Ponting.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Re: Re: Re: ponting is good but what about matthew hayden

anilramavarma said:
Why? Hayden has shown himself equally adept against quality pace and quality spin while Ponting while being one of the best players against pace today is very suspect against good spin bowlers. Hayden is right now a more complete player than Ponting.
For me Ponting is the better player because he's done it more consistently for a lot longer - Hayden's style gets him runs, but is also risky, and one day his luck will run out IMO.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: ponting is good but what about matthew hayden

marc71178 said:
For me Ponting is the better player because he's done it more consistently for a lot longer - Hayden's style gets him runs, but is also risky, and one day his luck will run out IMO.
He has also consistently failed against good spin bowling, hasn't he? Also, I don't believe it's luck that is aiding Hayden. If it was just one series, we could have said that, and true, he gave a lot of catches in the last series which were put down, but no player can go on like that for 2 years without being really classy. I like Ponting as a batsman, but he still has to overcome his spin bogey before he is considered truly great(Mind you, I am not saying that Hayden is in the ranks of the all-time greats right now, 'cos he started late and has to keep this momentum going for a few more seasons before he can be considered as one, it's just that he is well on his way).

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No doubt that Hayden is a good player but he, like Vaughan, has exploded over the past couple of years after a mediocre start to Test cricket. Ponting has been scoring runs over a longer period of time and as such, at this point, appears the better player. No doubt Hayden can and probably will prove me wrong.