Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Greatest west indian fast bowler of all time?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    I think Wes Hall should be remembered as well, by all reports the best fast bowler in the world for a period
    Without a doubt. A pioneer and a legend. But still out of the top five, IMO.

Thinking about it in that context makes me really sad given the present state of affairs.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Dwayne Bravo.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Matt Dillon

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    I saw Merv Dillon with his children in Port-of-Spain a couple of Sundays back. He was buying food at a takeout. That man is huge and gets a lot more flack than he deserves.

Area 51 (Been requesting videos that even robelinda cant come up with - up yours all CW )
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    Matt Dillon
    Sirjee do u use MSN messenger?
    Twitter @3Bouncers
    One of my friends said "And itís not like we havenít defeated India enough. I think weíve beaten them on a couple of occasions, on a lot of occasions, in fact."

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post
    Sirjee do u use MSN messenger?
    Not for a long time now.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    Marshall far and away the best I've seen. Obviously not live, but I've seen a fair amount of recorded footage. The things he could do with the ball at his pace and with such accuracy. I was in awe.

Ambrose clocks in second. The man was a machine. And ftr, I rate him slightly higher than McGrath on a global scale, because while both had the pinpoint accuracy and composure, Ambrose had that bit of menace that gives him an edge.

Third is Andy Roberts, who is under-appreciated by many IMO. So many people consider him a very good, even great bowler, but still don't understand just how good he was.

Fourth and fifth are Joel Garner and Michael Holding respectively. So many can get honourable mentions too, but I'll stick with Ian Bishop for what could have been and with Courtney Walsh, who I think was the best bowler in the world when he retired.
    Agree 95%. Good to see Camps back with a characteristic analysis.

Would probably put Garner above Roberts and Holding though.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    How many people here have actually seen Andy Roberts bowl ?
    It's really interesting, you know, of all the many outstanding bowlers of the period, footage of Roberts seems hardest to procure, for some reason. It was only a couple of years ago that I finally found some (having seen Marshall, Holding and Garner aaaaaaages ago). I even came across footage of bit-part (but nonetheless outstanding) bowlers like Daniel and Croft, and older ones like Wesley Winfield Hall, before I could find any of Roberts.

What is most fascinating is watching footage from 1973 (his first tour of England and presumably the first time he would have bowled in front of cameras) and comparing it to 1976 and 1980. The calibre of the footage changes more than the calibre of the bowling-action.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    What is most fascinating (re Roberts) is watching footage from 1973 (his first tour of England and presumably the first time he would have bowled in front of cameras) and comparing it to 1976 and 1980. The calibre of the footage changes more than the calibre of the bowling-action.
    Are you sure Roberts toured England in 1973? I thought he first appeared in the series in the Caribbean the following winter. Unless you've seen some footage of him bowling for Hampshire around then.

Strange, so he did. Maybe I'm mistaken then, because the only game that might (and this is a tiny possibility) have been televised in 1973 would have been this one against his countrymen. And there was certainly no TV in West Indies in 1974, so it wouldn't have been that.

Possibly it was just earlier on in '76 then.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Marshall, Ambrose and Holding. In that order IMO.

Ambrose though could be potentially have the 'McGraths' in that he is underrated in that he never did anything too dramatic apart from seldom bowling a bad ball and hitting a bugger of a length repeatedly.

Many will already know this, so I hope Im not accused of name dropping, but I netted with the West Indies as a young quick in the early 1990s. All the quicks were there but only Marshall stood out. Swinging the ball both ways and that whippy action.

It is entirely possible that I rank him #1 based on a few hours in the same net as him as an impressionable young teen.

Only 1 of the 3 I mention would make it into the WI attack I wouldnt want to bat against though.

Clarke, Patterson, Ambrose and Croft would be an attack to get a migrane rather than face.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    It is entirely possible that I rank him #1 based on a few hours in the same net as him as an impressionable young teen.

Only 1 of the 3 I mention would make it into the WI attack I wouldnt want to bat against though.

Clarke, Patterson, Ambrose and Croft would be an attack to get a migrane rather than face.
    Not nice, although I wonder if Gilchrist belongs in that attack ahead of Ambrose if we're talking about sheer unpleasantness.

The other guy who could be seriously unpleasant in his younger days was Holding. If accounts of the India game at Sabina Park are to be believed, he was quite prepared to send down a few beamers along witht the usual barrage of short stuff..

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Strange, so he did. Maybe I'm mistaken then, because the only game that might (and this is a tiny possibility) have been televised in 1973 would have been this one against his countrymen. And there was certainly no TV in West Indies in 1974, so it wouldn't have been that.

Possibly it was just earlier on in '76 then.
    Roberts did not play fir West indies in 1973 though may have been in the touring party. He made his debut in March next year when England toured West Indies.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    Not nice, although I wonder if Gilchrist belongs in that attack ahead of Ambrose if we're talking about sheer unpleasantness.

The other guy who could be seriously unpleasant in his younger days was Holding. If accounts of the India game at Sabina Park are to be believed, he was quite prepared to send down a few beamers along witht the usual barrage of short stuff..
    Gichrist was good better than Ambrose?
    Last edited by BhupinderSingh; 18-09-2007 at 09:48 AM.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by BhupinderSingh View Post
    Gichrist was excellent better than Ambrose?
    Gilchrist was very fast and dangerous but I dont think he was ever considered a great fast bowler to be ranked amongst the games finest ever.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information