Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vaughan to open

Rik

Vaughan to open

Duncan Fletcher has just said in an interview that he might try an opening partnership of Trescothick and Vaughan with Knight dropping to 3. This is an interisting idea although I don't think this is the time to try it as Knight and Trescothick are in superb form and just took 119 off the Sri Lankan attack. Why break a partnership that works? Also both openers make good use of the 1st 15 over field restrictions, whilst Vaughan has rarely even opened for Yorkshire in Domestic OD Cricket. Therefore I've never seen Vaughan try clearing the infield like he will have to. Personally I would bat him at 3 as Nasser is not a natural number 3 in ODIs (or a natural batsman in ODIs for that matter), and also I wouldn't want to break a partnership which has worked, and worked well, for the last year.

What do you think?
    "Age is just a stupid number"

20...that's a rather big number :(:(:(

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    For the record, Vaughan is classed as "Top Order" in the VWC.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Cricket Web Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    I think that's the most sense that you've ever posted, Rik
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Rik
    Originally posted by Neil Pickup
    I think that's the most sense that you've ever posted, Rik
    Considering quite a few people have said that about quite a few of my posts recently I must be doing something right :rolleyes:

I like the idea of Vaughan at 3. I'm sure Englishmen would know better than I why he's not considered an OD player, but the rare form the guy is showing and his range of shots make me believe he can succeed in this form of the game also. Geoff Marsh was always considered too "slow" for ODI's, yet when in form, he won us many games, playing "normal" cricket shots, picking up 1's and 2's. Vaughan would be one of the first guys picked in my world side at the moment, let alone the English one.
    Last edited by Wazztodd; 16-01-2003 at 02:30 PM.

Tim
    I don't think England should be messing around with Owais Shah now that Vaughan can play & I also realised why they continue to play Irani despite his dreadful form, its because Hollioake hasn't been picked in the World Cup squad but I guess now that Flintoff has returned, Irani might miss out if England progress to the finals of the VB Series.

State Vice-Captain
    Y would u want to break such a good opening partnership. Many countries are stuggling with there opening combination but England seem to have 2 great batters both in good form. Vaughen sould come in at 3 or 4. An openers job is quite sepecalist and if he hasn't proved it at County level then he shouldn't be doing it for his country.

Rik
    Nice to see people agree with me here

Originally posted by Wazztodd
    I like the idea of Vaughan at 3. I'm sure Englishmen would know better than I why he's not considered an OD player
    He is.. he's just got a dicky knee at the minute and we don't want to risk something long term happening for the sake of a Tri-Series.

Rik
    He is.. he's just got a dicky knee at the minute and we don't want to risk something long term happening for the sake of a Tri-Series.
    Well to be fair he isn't a OD player, there is no proof that he will be a world class ODI batsman, his Domestic OD record is poor. But he has been a lot more attacking in Test Cricket lately and he might have turned himself into a OD player. Let's see.

Tim
    Vaughan's 50 against NZ at Eden Park during the 4th ODI I think it was, was one of the finest innings of strokeplay I have seen in a long time.

I have no doubts that Vaughan could be a very good #4.

Rik
    Originally posted by Tim
    Vaughan's 50 against NZ at Eden Park during the 4th ODI I think it was, was one of the finest innings of strokeplay I have seen in a long time.

I have no doubts that Vaughan could be a very good #4.
    He's played a few good innings yes, but he's not scored consistantly and that is why his average is only 19.66

Originally posted by Rik
    He's played a few good innings yes, but he's not scored consistantly and that is why his average is only 19.66
    That was long before he emerged as the player he is at present, before his incredible run.

I reckon that that 19.66 average can be totally ignored

I'd like to see Vaughan at 3 in the ODI side with Hussain at 5/6 to inject experience into the middle order.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. I'd heard he could play a bit, but I'd not seen him until this ashes series, and he's got to be one of the first guys picked. (If fit of course NP )

To me, a good player will succeed in either form of the game. Hitting them as well as Vaughan has been, he'll score runs, plenty of them, and at a decent rate. Might have to hide him in the field, somewhere near Harmison perhaps?
    But that's a secondary consideration IMO. Larry Gomes couldn't field either, and wasn't considered a "power" batsman, but was a terrific ODI player.

Rik
    That was long before he emerged as the player he is at present, before his incredible run.

I'd like to see Vaughan at 3 in the ODI side with Hussain at 5/6 to inject experience into the middle order.
    I can't really ignore it though. He's doing great in Tests but he's still proven nothing in OD Cricket. Sometimes people can flatter to decieve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information