• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne's top 50 cricketers

Chubby Rain

School Boy/Girl Captain
Source: http://timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/cricket/article2337428.ece

He's listed 50-41 so far.

So the countdown begins - and there are already a few shocks. At no 50 in my list of greats is a batsman who never played a test.

Jamie Siddons (Victoria)
First-class matches 160
Runs 11,587 at 44.91
Catches 206
As an all-round fielder, with a rocket arm, I rank him second behind Mark Waugh among Australians I have seen. He is recognised as one of our best batsmen not to have played Test cricket. I thought he was especially good against spin and have fond memories as he was in the Victoria team when I made my debut.

Darren Berry (Victoria)
First-class matches 153
Runs 4,273 at 21.58
Catches 552
Stumpings 51
Another Victorian to miss out on Test cricket. He is the purest wicketkeeper I have seen. The ball sounded extra-soft in his gloves. His catching was so reliable that first slip could stand wider and the cordon covered more ground. He once stumped David Boon down the leg side standing up to Paul Reiffel – a brilliantly executed plan.

Brian McMillan (South Africa)
Test matches 38
Runs 1,968 at 39.36
Wickets 75 at 33.82
For a big fellow, he did not hit the ball as hard as you would expect, but he could be a sharp bowler and a wonderful slip fielder. It helped that his hands were just enormous. He was a very tough guy to play against, especially when you were meeting him for the first time, but he was also an enjoyable opponent.

Chris Cairns (New Zealand)
Test matches 62
Runs 3,320 at 33.53
Wickets 218 at 29.40
He played the most incredible shot off my bowling during a game in Hamilton. Placing his left leg into the rough, he swivelled to face square leg and hit the turning ball over that area for a huge six. At one stage, he was probably the best all-rounder in the world, despite struggling with injuries.

Dilip Vengsarkar (India)
Test matches 116
Runs 6,868 at 42.13
The India side were starting to change in my early days with Australia, but Vengsarkar remained a very stylish, elegant batsman. In our dressing-room, he was held in the highest regard by those who saw him at his best in the Eighties. I’ve taken into account his record all over the world, including three hundreds at Lord’s.

Waqar Younis (Pakistan)
Test matches 87
Runs 1,010 at 10.20
Wickets 373 at 23.56
People may be surprised that Waqar doesn’t figure higher. His stats are excellent, but I always thought that he fed off Wasim Akram at the other end. Having said that, he was a fine one-day bowler with a devastating, fast yorker at the death. The pair of them formed a great new-ball partnership through the Nineties.

Alec Stewart (England)
Test matches 133
Runs 8,483 at 39.54
Catches 263
Stumpings 14
He did not have a great record against Australia, but I always admired Alec for his versatility. Over his career, he had to adjust from being a batsman to a batsman-keeper, then play as an opener, No 3 or in the middle order. From what I can gather, his preparation was always spot on.

Michael Atherton
Test matches 115
Runs 7,728 at 37.69
In a funny way I enjoyed watching him bat because he was one of the old school who just liked to grind down the opposition. At times, he held England together when they were going through a rough period. His concentration was incredible and I always enjoyed talking cricket with him. He has a good understanding of the game.

Ravi Shastri (India)
Test matches 80
Runs 3,830 at 35.79
Wickets 151 at 40.96.
Test cricket seemed impossibly hard when Ravi was belting a double hundred on my debut for Australia. By the time I had him caught – at deep cover, which tells its own story – I didn’t know where my second game would come from. He was a very effective player and a handy spin bowler for a captain to have up his sleeve.

Justin Langer (Australia)
Test matches 105
Runs 7,696 at 45.27
So many people wrote him off and there were more talented batsmen who did not play as often for Australia. But you need more than talent to succeed and “Alfie” worked his guts out to become the best player he could be. By the end, he had scored 23 Test hundreds and became an inspiration to youngsters everywhere.
Interesting to see Waqar figure so low in his list.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Interseting list so far. I doubt we'll see anymore domestic players in the list though.

I've never understood the hype around McMillan though. Its good to see that Warne has respect for Stewart and Atheron - seems to be like many on this baord who believe that the 90s were a more difficult time for batsmen and their records don't justify such.

My prediction for the top 5; Murali, McGrath, Tendulkar, Lara, S. Waugh

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Will definitely be interesting to see how this list progresses - I'm already fascinated by the thought of where he'll rank Murali and what reaction it will draw! Will be very interesting to see who he ranks as no.1.

It is notable what he says about Waqar there - in Australia we definitely as a whole tend to rate Wasim the greater of the two, perhaps because Wasim produced so many memorable performances against Australia, or at least in Australia such as the '92 WC, whereas we sadly never got to see Waqar at his very best.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Appalled he's missed this bloke tbh
Ever thought he might be higher up the list ? :laugh: :laugh: Seriously the thread title is wrong - its top 50 cricketers otherwise Siddons - who must think Stewart Law was lucky - and Berry wouldn't be there. Interesting so far that he respected Atherton and Stewart more than their Test records against Australia suggest and that he has found a place for the guy who was his firstTest victim. Personally I always rated Brian McMillan highly - for a spell in the mid 90s it was him or Wasim Akram for the best all rounder title and a fine slip fielder too. If he had started his Test career at an earlier age than 28 what he would have achieved?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Warne will be naturally biased by what he saw when Waqar played against Australia, and it's fair to say that we never saw Waqar at his most devastating best.
gettingbetter said:
'Appaled'? seems like a strong word,
To be perfectly honest, I'm appalled he was even mentioned.

8-) 8-) 8-)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Spot on re: Waqar. He simply never did all that much against Australia in test cricket. He had a relatively brief peak and never played against Warne in that time.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Right, Waqar's peak was around 25-30 Tests where he averaged 17 with the ball with a S/R of 30, and he never played against the Aussies during that time, so it is understandable.

This was his peak. At that point, he was very very fast and could move it both ways. Then he had some injuries and was never the same force again. Really though, if I had to pick a bowler based on his absolute peak, Waqar would be high on that list.

With that said, Warne is ranking players based on how he saw them perform and since Waqar's performances weren't that hot against the Aussies (they all came after he started breaking down a bit), I don't really have a problem with where he is ranked.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
If you start that peak period after the 89-90 tour of Australia (when Waqar patently wasn't at his best), those peak year stats become even more astonishing. For those three or four years, he was as devastating - statistically at least - as anyone who ever played the game.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
With that said, Warne is ranking players based on how he saw them perform and since Waqar's performances weren't that hot against the Aussies (they all came after he started breaking down a bit), I don't really have a problem with where he is ranked.
Presumably by that logic, Paul Collingwood would be in Warne’s top ten?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
LOL @ those replies regarding Jack. OMG that was great to read so late in the night.

To be fair they obviously haven't been on the boards that long, but its hilarious :lol:

Xuhaib

International Coach
I wonder where Cullinan will be placed, knowing Warney he might put him in the top 10 just to take a little mickey out of him:laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Appalled he's missed this bloke tbh
Why would he consider him ?
I second that. 'Appaled'? seems like a strong word, I don't think Warne's even played or mentored him, also, has this chap even played FC before?
LOL @ those replies regarding Jack. OMG that was great to read so late in the night.

To be fair they obviously haven't been on the boards that long, but its hilarious :lol:
ATWG, AWTS and AWTJ.

That's agree with The Gelman (AKA pasag), agree with The Sean, and agree with The Jono. Especially the Jono part, though I assure you it's every bit as hilarious in mid-afternoon. :laugh::lol:
To be perfectly honest, I'm appalled he was even mentioned.

8-) 8-) 8-)
:-O

For the info of Chubby Rain and gettingbetter, however, vic_orthdox is better known as Jack McNamara. This is another reason why this AKA field would do well, though I admit it'd be a shame to miss-out on occasional gems like this exchange. :laugh: