• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gangulys comeback?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why not?

Because he hadn't done enough to get back in or because you wanted to see him pensioned-off?
Pretty sure it's the first option, I know that was the reason for my opposition to his selection. Would've preferred Badrinath TBH.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So he's not really young enough to be part of the "next generation" whenever Dravid, Tendulkar and Ganguly retire... shame.

Perm

So he's not really young enough to be part of the "next generation" whenever Dravid, Tendulkar and Ganguly retire... shame.
No, that tag belongs more to Suresh Raina, Rohit Sharma etc. However, Badrinath should be the next in line once either of the big four retire, ahead of both Yuvraj Singh and Mohammad Kaif IMO. He is consistenly outperforming both of them for India A in four day cricket and continues to pile on the runs in both forms, although he hasn't really put in good List A performances outside of games for Tamil Nadu.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Why not?

Because he hadn't done enough to get back in or because you wanted to see him pensioned-off?
Because I felt he acted unprofessionally in the spat with Chappell. I didn't think bringing him back would be good for the atmosphere in the team. Happily, I was wrong.

And as for what pasag said, I think Kumble is more likely to retire after this tour.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
they could make a movie seriously, his comeback had all the emotion and drama required for a movie :laugh:
I would be the first person to watch it if given the opportunity, don't even mind camping outside the cinemas for few days.

Ganguly is a champion.

R_D

International Debutant
bolywood should make a movie on his comback.
give it another year and it probaly will be made. Ganguly might even star in it... anyway it'll be more original than anything bollywood has come up with before.

Perm

And as for what pasag said, I think Kumble is more likely to retire after this tour.
DWTA TBH, I don't think any of the Indians will retire. Just a hunch I get, it seems Ganguly and Tendulkar are still hungry while Laxman and Dravid still have plenty to offer and Kumble seems as reliable and steady as ever.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Ganguly's comeback has been spectacular. In ODIs, he has scored slowly, but heavily...

Code:
                     Mat    I  NO  Runs HS1  HS2  HS3     Ave 100  50   0

2007 (34y 177d)       16   15   2   775  98   89   88   59.61   0   8   0
In tests, his comeback has been good too.

Code:
2007 (34y 177d)        5    9   1   395 100   79   66   49.37   1   2   0

Perm

Ganguly's comeback has been spectacular. In ODIs, he has scored slowly, but heavily...

Code:

What has his strike rate been since his return to the side?

adharcric

International Coach

Code:

In tests, his comeback has been good too.

Code:
2007 (34y 177d)        5    9   1   395 100   79   66   49.37   1   2   0
Take out the minnows and those become mid-40 averages in both forms. Very good comeback nevertheless.