Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yuvraj Singh and Mohammad Kaif

Cricket Spectator

Yuvraj Singh and Mohammad Kaif

Just Thinking,

It's been 5 years roughly since the famous partnership by these two at Lords in the Natwest Final.
    back then, they were described as the "future of Indian cricket" by several pundits.

Now in 2007, Yuvraj is established only in the ODI team and Kaif is nowhere to be seen....
    Questions I have are, do you think Yuvraj can become an established test player and be the first in line to replace the ageing quartet of Tendulkar, Dada, Lax And Dravid ?
    Can Kaif become an established player in both forms or do you think these two will be superseded by a new generation of batsmen e.g Rohit Sharma, Badrinath, Tiwary ???
    Last edited by JaiMurugan; 19-06-2007 at 11:42 PM. Reason: change

Yuvraj will become a fixture in the test side IMO. Kaif will probably be remembered as a missed opportunity for Indian cricket as there are far too many prospects who are already well set in domestic cricket - Sharma, Tiwary, Raina, Pujara, etc. Let's hope I am wrong about Kaif and he becomes Dravid's successor.

yuvraj singh better than Kaif in both form of the cricket
    yuvraj could replace Tendulker in near future. this guy is amazing. his timing, his style of bating. i rate him over laxman, sehwag, Kaif, and other new young indian batsmans.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Never rated Kaif too highly, TBH - that was probably just one of a few days in the sun he enjoyed around that time.

Yuvraj was already established as a good ODI player by then, and has continued to do well in that form. I've never been completely sold on him as a Test player or not and I'm still not.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Kaif got messed around the batting order a bit I think - he began at number seven, before it became obvious that India needed a big hitter lower down the order. Then he played musical chairs in the middle-order and never really settled. He'd have been a fixture by now in my books if one of Tendulkar, Ganguly or Dravid hadn't been on the scene.

Raina looks a better prospect now though.

Yuvraj should be in the test side after a few of the older players retire and possibly even before. He's in the test squad for England but I don't think he'll get in ahead of Laxman if we play 4 bowlers.
    Kaif seems to have done fairly well for UP after being dropped and could still make a comeback in ODI's although I have a feeling that the selectors will overlook him in favour of some of the younger talent developing like Rohit Sharma.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Mohammad Kaif has been treated very poorly by the selectors and although he doesn't have an overly impressive First Class record I have always thought that he would make a pretty decent Test batsman, and his ODI credentials speak for themselves. Yuvraj on the other hand seems to have that 'x' factor that people are looking for and despite having a similar FC record to Kaif, is usually talked about more as an option in Test cricket. He has been in superb ODI form over the last couple of years, and combined with the emergence of MS Dhoni as a supremely effective batsman in ODI cricket India have found a good combination in the lower order.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

R_D
    Yeah Kaif's been screwed around by selectors too often.. he's looked pretty good in test matches. Hopefully he makes a come back into the team sometimes soon.
    As for yuvraj he needs grow a brain... he looks so good when he's on and than throws it away most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by R_D View Post
    Yeah Kaif's been screwed around by selectors too often.. he's looked pretty good in test matches. Hopefully he makes a come back into the team sometimes soon.
    As for yuvraj he needs grow a brain... he looks so good when he's on and than throws it away most of the time.
    dont really see kaif getting back TBH..it will be a definite suprise...but i think his 'generation' is gone and its time for the nxt set of youngsters who havent been tried out yet.

Don't really see how Kaif's been screwed-around, as such... he's not as good as any of Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman or Ganguly, or Yuvraj Singh for that matter. Can't immediately think of anyone else who's been picked in front of him.

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Can't immediately think of anyone else who's been picked in front of him.
    In the one dayers Raina, Tiwary, Rohit Sharma, Mongia have all been picked ahead of him. I suppose your talking about tests though?.
    Proud member of the Twenty20 is boring society

E-Mail - liamhowgate@yahoo.co.uk
    MSN - liamhowgate@hotmail.com

Yeah, Tests. That was what R_D mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Pup Clarke View Post
    In the one dayers Raina, Tiwary, Rohit Sharma, Mongia have all been picked ahead of him. I suppose your talking about tests though?.
    in ODIs...i dont really consider kaif that good TBH...unless he bats at no.3..but then we got too many other players who are better than kaif to bat at no. 3...as i said, i just think his time has passed.

International 12th Man
    Ganguly, before he was finally dropped in 2005, was picked a few times ahead of Kaif - certainly in tests.

Dont know if Kaif is good or not but his generation has not passed. Not every new player needs to be 22 or under - have to get past this subcontinental obsession. Strauss, Hussey, Stuart Clark are all brilliant finds who got their breaks in the late 20s.

When Tendulkar/Ganguly/Laxman/Dravid retiire over a couple of years - Kaif will be 28-29 and it is quite OK to consider him along with or even over the then 18-22 yr olds. His electric fielding is also something that needs to be in the mix.

I really like Yuvraj, great to watch but at 25 he really should be stepping it up now. Gives his wicket away far too often, especially in test cricket where he always seemingly makes a 'start' only to be caught flashing hard outside off stump.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information