Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sutcliffe

International 12th Man Shaggy Alfresco's Avatar

Sutcliffe

Everyone talks about how Jack Hobbs was the greatest opening batsman ever, but what about Herbert Sutcliffe, his opening partner who is more impressive statistically? Why does Sutcliffe have superior stats, yet is regarded as the lesser batsman? Is it because Hobbs gave his wicket away to a deserving bowler after a century?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    That's one of the reasons (it was only a perception, and while there might be some truth in it doing such a thing is IMO poor batsmanship) - and Hobbs' longevity is another. Hobbs was probably at his best after the age of 36, which is nothing short of incredible.

IIRR there's not much difference in their First-Class stats, it's just in Tests that the Yorkshireman trumps the Surrey man.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Alfresco View Post
    Everyone talks about how Jack Hobbs was the greatest opening batsman ever, but what about Herbert Sutcliffe, his opening partner who is more impressive statistically? Why does Sutcliffe have superior stats, yet is regarded as the lesser batsman? Is it because Hobbs gave his wicket away to a deserving bowler after a century?

I think it was more the way he scored his runs, he apparently played every shot just like the text book suggests {Archie Mac (the real one) used photos of him to describe how to bat in a book he wrote}

While HS was a real fighter and made his runs in a back to the wall fashion. although he did have a great hook shot by all reports
    You know it makes sense.

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Alfresco View Post
    Why does Sutcliffe have superior stats, yet is regarded as the lesser batsman?
    Anti northern bias.
    Proud 2nd member of GM-OLAS
    Honorary Assistant Vice-President and Inquisitor General of T2IBS (Twenty-20 is Boring Society)

Fraz highlights the defining aspect of Shoaib's legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    Those humanitarian works etc ?
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I feel Tendulkar's association with the money minting exploitation of cricket fandom by certain varying commercial interests tarnishes his greatness a tad.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Hobbs is the second best batsman to ever play the game IMO, Sutcliffe doesn't come close to him despite havng a very good Test record.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    Hobbs is the second best batsman to ever play the game IMO, Sutcliffe doesn't come close to him despite havng a very good Test record.
    How can you say this when you've never seen either of them play, meaning the only thing you have to go on are their stats which are just about even and others reports.

It's so hard to say conclusively that any one batsman is the 2nd-best ever to play the game as we know it today, really - even if someone had watched all cricket since 1900 they'd still never be able to say IMO.

That said, if I had the chance to pick someone I'd pick George Headley rather than abstain.
    Last edited by Richard; 18-06-2007 at 06:36 PM.

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    It's so hard to say conclusively that any one person is the 2nd-best ever to play the game as we know it today
    I could be pedantic and mention that most would say pretty conclusively that its Garry, but I know what your talking about.

Haha, good spot my man. Post edited.

I'd rank Sir Garfield as the best cricketer ever, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by shortpitched713 View Post
    I could be pedantic and mention that most would say pretty conclusively that its Garry, but I know what your talking about.
    I think it is easily WG, but I know what your talking about

I think it's futile to compare WG to anyone of the 20th century and beyond, TBH. The game he played was not the same as the one that Trumper, Fry, Ranji, Hobbs and everyone from them onwards played.

WG was one thing and one thing alone IMO - far ahead of his contemporaries in the cricket of his day. Of course, he might well have dominated cricket had he played in, say, the 1950s, too. But he didn't, and IMO it's no use comparing.

I think it's futile to compare WG to anyone of the 20th century and beyond, TBH. The game he played was not the same as the one that Trumper, Fry, Ranji, Hobbs and everyone from them onwards played.

WG was one thing and one thing alone IMO - far ahead of his contemporaries in the cricket of his day. Of course, he might well have dominated cricket had he played in, say, the 1950s, too. But he didn't, and IMO it's no use comparing.
    Should I mention 1895?

Dono, should you?

Try me.

Dono, should you?

Try me.
    I expect you to do some research mate, and learn something new

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iamdavid View Post
    How can you say this when you've never seen either of them play, meaning the only thing you have to go on are their stats which are just about even and others reports.
    Obviously I have limitations and can't properly judge them, but the conclusion I have come to after doing a bit of reading and taking a look at the stats was that Hobbs was the second best. I don't expect others to agree, or for that conclusion to hold up under intense scrutiny but it's the opinion I have formed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information