Thread: Alex Tudor

Alex Tudor

What's happening with him? What's he doing these days? I honestly thought he would make it at international level, and was highly talented.

I know injuries ruined him, but what are other peoples thoughts on him?

Banned
    I mainly remember him from the way he batted in this game. 99*

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Well he scored 31* yesterday - his highest score of the season to date. Always been handy with the bat - he made 100s for both Surrey and Essex.

Four wickets at 47 so far this season, nothing special.Probably not as quick as he was either. Not too late to interest the selectors again, but he'd have to up his wicket count dramatically. Hard to say his move to Essex has rejuvenated his career, but at least they're keeping faith with him.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Was never quite able to conquer the injuries, sadly. And has never been fit consistently enough to do justice to his undoubted talent - with bat and ball.

A real, real crying shame.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

I thought a lot of it was to with it upstairs?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

He's hardly old at 29, maybe a surprise comeback to fill the third seamer role if Sidebottom fails? I doubt it, but anything is possible.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I thought a lot of it was to with it upstairs?
    That was the popular theory. And then it turned out (about 4 years ago) that there had been some injury that none of the medics over here had picked up. Can't recall the details, I'm afraid. afaics he's genuinely been seriously unlucky with injuries.

It's had to see his career going anywhere now. I was pleased to see Essex give him a chance, but he hasn't been great for them, and he's still injured a lot of the time.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    He's hardly old at 29, maybe a surprise comeback to fill the third seamer role if Sidebottom fails? I doubt it, but anything is possible.
    There are a fair few seamers above him in the selectors eyes though, so it's very unlikely that Tudor will ever play for England again.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    That was the popular theory. And then it turned out (about 4 years ago) that there had been some injury that none of the medics over here had picked up. Can't recall the details, I'm afraid. afaics he's genuinely been seriously unlucky with injuries.
    Osteitis pubis it was (thanks Gelman) and even after diagnosis there doesn't seem to have been anything which has been able to fix the problem.

I think it might have been as many as 6 years ago that the diagnosis was made - though possibly more like 5.
    Last edited by Richard; 16-06-2007 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    There are a fair few seamers above him in the selectors eyes though, so it's very unlikely that Tudor will ever play for England again.
    Just months ago I'd have said that about Sidebottom, TBH. And Tudor has always had more talent in half his body than most have in their entire. Not quite all-rounder material, but not a million miles short.

If he had a blockbuster season this year (not likely, of course, but let's say hypothetical) he'd be right up into consideration again, and rightly so IMO because, as I say, he always looked a bit special and even showed glimpses of that in the Test arena from time to time.

Ostentis pubis was something along the lines of it (that's definately not spelled right, and CBA to look it up) and even after diagnosis there doesn't seem to have been anything which has been able to fix the problem.

I think it might have been as many as 6 years ago that the diagnosis was made - though possibly more like 5.
    Never heard of a cricketer that had Osteitis pubis before tbh. It's been quite a big problem in AFL in recent years though.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Just months ago I'd have said that about Sidebottom, TBH. And Tudor has always had more talent in half his body than most have in their entire. Not quite all-rounder material, but not a million miles short.

If he had a blockbuster season this year (not likely, of course, but let's say hypothetical) he'd be right up into consideration again, and rightly so IMO because, as I say, he always looked a bit special and even showed glimpses of that in the Test arena from time to time.
    Picking Ryan Sidebottom came out of left-field so to speak, and it was surprising successfull. You have a point, but I think Tudor will have to have a very good season to even be back in consideration for an England spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    Picking Ryan Sidebottom came out of left-field so to speak, and it was surprising successfull. You have a point, but I think Tudor will have to have a very good season to even be back in consideration for an England spot.
    I think Tudor will have to prove that he's over whatever injury he has, first and foremost. Even if he finds his best bowling form but misses every third game, he won't be considered due to his unreliability in terms of actually staying in the team. Unless he really guns it and averages 12 or something.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    AJ Tudor 2.1 0 9 2 .... lol promising start overnight bowling for Essex, albeit coming on 5th change in about the 29th over

Thread Information