Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Indian Coach Selection Drama

School Boy/Girl Captain quick4mindia's Avatar

Icon14 The Indian Coach Selection Drama

Now the news is out.....Whatmore is no more....Some Ford is in ....may be Arjun Ranatunga also come in as a fielding coach....The circus is in full swing and the jokers have done their jobs splendidly.....
    Ishant the poster boy of Indian cricket

Quote Originally Posted by quick4mindia
    Now the news is out.....Whatmore is no more
    FFS.
    Some Ford is in
    Yes, there is another thread on this.
    may be Arjun Ranatunga also come in as a fielding coach
    Uhh, WTF? Fielding coach?

R_D
    Quote Originally Posted by quick4mindia View Post
    Now the news is out.....Whatmore is no more....Some Ford is in ....may be Arjun Ranatunga also come in as a fielding coach....The circus is in full swing and the jokers have done their jobs splendidly.....
    maybe Ranatunga can also teach them how to run between the wickets as well

Quote Originally Posted by quick4mindia View Post

thats bizarre (i think i spelt it right!)

Cricket Web Content Updater alternative's Avatar
    Haha that seriously can't be true. If it is then all i can do is .
    Member of the AAAS
    Member of CW Green | Stedingham Jets Grade Cricket Team | Northside Power

Manager of South Australia (WCC)

Winner of AFL Tipping 2006 | Winner of Wimbeldon Prediction 2006

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Oh man, Ranatunga as a the fielding coach...it's 'do as I say not as I do' I suppose. You don't necessarily have to be a great player to be a great coach, but it is peculiar to say the least. Especially considering I do not believe he has proven himself as a fielding coach at any level...
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Cricinfo reporting that John Emburey is the second man.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Now I think Emburey as 2nd man would be even more odd than Ranatunga as a fielding-coach, and that's saying something.

And obviously once Sidhu's out of prison that can't last either.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

3 Card Poker Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by R_D View Post
    maybe Ranatunga can also teach them how to run between the wickets as well
    Actually he can teach them them a lot in that aspect. He was quite brilliant at it! This was of course in terms of judging the run and not in terms of speed

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Cricinfo reporting that John Emburey is the second man.
    doesnt seem that good TBH...Whatmore was better!

With that said..i guess it'll be Ford now!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Wow, massive dramas involving India. What's new there?
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Can't imagine why india would want emburey to have any sort of role with them...they obviously don't remember he was a flop as Northants coach. And Ranatunga to coach fielding? Why not go the whole hog and have Devon Malcolm as batting coach and Steve Harmison to teach the bowlers how to bowl at the stumps
    Ian Botham, Freddie Flintoff, Kevin Pietersen, Brian Laudrup, Gazza and Daniela Hantuchova....a fan of you all FOREVER!!!
    Can't wait to see Australia field a crap leg-spinner like Hollland or Hohns again.....
    Congratulations to Daniela Hantuchova on her 3rd career title....
    Bob Woolmer 1948-2007..farewell to the best coach England never had...
    Arise Sir Beefy....
    Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb...

I would've wanted Whatmore than Ford.
    Well the Irish did it on St Patrick's day

Rip Fardin Qayyumi, Bob Woolmer and Craig.
    No offence Neil
    "No good thing ever dies." Andy Dufresne. The Shawshank Redemption.
    "Don't interupt the emeny when they're making a mistake" Napoleon

State Vice-Captain Spitfires_Fan's Avatar
    Well, India will be heading right down my list of teams that I want to do well if they steal Ford from Kent. He may have brought in one or two too many South Africans, but he's done a darn good job so far - would love to see him stick around for longer.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Ranatunga wants Indian job, Bayliss aims a little lower
    Alex Brown
    June 6, 2007

TREVOR Bayliss will fly to Colombo next week to interview for Tom Moody's recently vacated post - but the impending arrival of the NSW coach was not the biggest development in Sri Lanka yesterday.

Instead, the emergence of former Sri Lankan captain Arjuna Ranatunga as a leading contender for India's head coaching position had the cricketing world abuzz, particularly with India set to tour Australia next summer.

The nomination of Ranatunga, who has made an artform out of antagonising Australian players for over a decade, reflects India's willingness to adopt an unorthodox and aggressive approach ahead of a 12-month period in which they will play Australia in eight Tests and about 20 one-day internationals.

With almost no coaching experience to speak of - most of his post-playing career has been spent in Sri Lankan politics, where he has held sporting and tourism portfolios - Ranatunga's allure to the Indians lies in his headstrong leadership style, which he employed to great effect as captain throughout Sri Lanka's triumphant 1996 World Cup campaign.

At this stage Ranatunga is ranked behind former South African coach Greg Ford in the race to succeed Greg Chappell as coach of India. But with a final round of interviews scheduled for this Saturday, the BCCI could yet call on Ranatunga to drag India out of their recent cricketing malaise and transform them into an aggressive force able to compete with Australia.

Ranatunga's sudden emergence on the scene has prompted Indian officials to announce that Dav Whatmore, the former Australian batsman and coach of Bangladesh, was out of the race to succeed Chappell.

Whatmore, however, remains in contention for the Pakistan coaching position.

"I'm just deciding what the next move is," said Whatmore, who has returned home to Melbourne after completing all his coaching duties with Bangladesh.

"When I know, you'll know."

News of Ranatunga's candidacy for the Indian position coincided with confirmation that Bayliss, who has two years remaining on his contract with the Blues, will compete against Australian assistant coach Jamie Siddons and Queensland mentor Terry Oliver for the head coach's job in Sri Lanka.

The Blues coach has already turned down an offer from the Australia Centre of Excellence and an approach from Bangladesh this off-season but will likely take the Sri Lankan job if it is offered to him.

He is due to be interviewed by Sri Lankan officials in Colombo on June 14.

"It's a job with an international team, and one of the better international teams, so you'd be nuts not to hear them out," Bayliss said. "And if something was offered, you'd be silly to knock it back.

"I spoke to Tom [Moody] about a week ago just to find out what I can expect in the interview. So now it's just a case of going over and seeing what they have to say."

Bayliss's current employer, Cricket NSW, has confirmed it will not stop him taking up the coaching position in Sri Lanka if he is successful.

Chief executive Dave Gilbert added that Sri Lanka's pursuit of Bayliss had prompted Blues officials to formulate contingency plans in the event their head coach departs.

"We won't be standing in the way of Trevor," Gilbert said. "If he wants to prove himself on the international stage, we will stand aside. We don't want to lose him, but we realise he is very ambitious, and in the long term he wants to coach Australia.

"Coaching another international side would be a big step towards that goal. Just look at the way it catapulted Tom Moody to the upper echelons of world cricket."

Meanwhile, Cricket Australia has contracted Chappell, Bruce Reid and John Wright as consultant coaches for next season.

Wright was CA's first choice to succeed Tim Nielsen as head coach of the Centre of Excellence, but the former New Zealand batsman was apparently reluctant to relocate his family across the Tasman.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information