• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Indian Coach Selection Drama

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fletcher is a good coach but I think it was time for him to step down after the World Cup. You can't blame England's abysmal attempts at playing ODI solely on him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH, I'd have been more than happy for him to stay in charge of the Test team, and have a new ODI coach appointed.

Everything, with the Schofield recommendations on "pending", is currently interim in any case.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not a fan of different coaches for Tests and ODIs, just as I'm not too keen on having seperate captains for the different forms. That's just me though and I can understand the merits in appointing seperate coaches, but the possibility of conflict is too great I feel.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I can see where problems might come from, but... as I say, at current time virtually everything in English cricket is an interim state. The thing could be tried, and if it didn't work-out we could go from there.

I'm not completely with Manan (ss) on the Test>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ODI thing, but I do agree with him when he says that nothing that could jeapardise your Test credentials should be done in an attempt to improve your ODI performance. And I think getting rid of Duncan Fletcher did just that (all right no-one actually did that, but he made it clear he'd have liked to stay and if someone said "we want you to" he'd undoubtedly have done). Of course, this summer is unlikely to test much about the Test team, but we'll start seeing our mettle tested next winter and, probably, next summer.

I'm not sold on Moores, he's undoubtedly a good coach, but whether he can gel with the English game the way DF did I don't know. I wonder if DF will be one of those "don't know what you had till you lost it" things.

Nishant

International 12th Man
I'm not a fan of different coaches for Tests and ODIs, just as I'm not too keen on having seperate captains for the different forms. That's just me though and I can understand the merits in appointing seperate coaches, but the possibility of conflict is too great I feel.
completely agree!

R_D

International Debutant
It seems Ford is India's next coach.
News is up on cricinfo... commitee recommends Ford.

quick4mindia

School Boy/Girl Captain
The drama won't be over so soon

Well.....This is not so easy to kill this thread.......As i said earlier...as long as the circus is there....the jokers will perform....and the thread will continue to have a life.....:laugh:

tooextracool

International Coach
What is with subcontinental obsession with foreign coaches? Is it really much better to have a coach who has absolutely no understanding of the language, culture, talent or the cricket population of a particular country?

I honestly cant see how a team like India in particular can benefit from a foreign coach. The demands on the coach are far too stressful for anyone that isnt actually from the country, and the players are far more likely to form their own cliques when the coach is unable to speak the local language. Based on my experience of Indian culture, i cannot honestly see how a coach from Australia or South Africa can instill discipline into an Indian side, because simply speaking what works in other countries does not and will not work in India. For mine, the sponsorship and the money involved in Indian cricket spoils its cricketers as even the most mediocre Indian cricketer such as Irfan Pathan ends up a household name by coming in various daily advertisements. Can Ford or emburey offer more to an Indian side than Ravi Shastri? I dont think so.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Is it not almost certain with the vast array of languages spoken in India that there will always be players speaking different languages to the coach?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
i cannot honestly see how a coach from Australia or South Africa can instill discipline into an Indian side, because simply speaking what works in other countries does not and will not work in India.
John Wright managed to do it.

JaiMurugan

Cricket Spectator
What is with subcontinental obsession with foreign coaches? Is it really much better to have a coach who has absolutely no understanding of the language, culture, talent or the cricket population of a particular country?

I honestly cant see how a team like India in particular can benefit from a foreign coach. The demands on the coach are far too stressful for anyone that isnt actually from the country, and the players are far more likely to form their own cliques when the coach is unable to speak the local language. Based on my experience of Indian culture, i cannot honestly see how a coach from Australia or South Africa can instill discipline into an Indian side, because simply speaking what works in other countries does not and will not work in India. For mine, the sponsorship and the money involved in Indian cricket spoils its cricketers as even the most mediocre Indian cricketer such as Irfan Pathan ends up a household name by coming in various daily advertisements. Can Ford or emburey offer more to an Indian side than Ravi Shastri? I dont think so.

And yet John Wright was one of the most succesful coaches (possibly the most succesful) coach India had. India were absolutely hopeless away from home during the 90's.
At least under Wright India started winning tests away from home.

It's well acknowledged in INdian circles that prior to 2000, when Wright was appointed, there was not a single Indian coach who had a good grasp of modern coaching techniques.
Things are different to some extent now in that you've got guys like Venky Prasad, Robin Singh, Roger Binny, Sandip patil who are more attuned to what a quality coach at intl level has to offer.
So I say that India sould certainly consider Indian coaches but they should certainly not rule out good foreign ones either, as they can be effective as Wright showed.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

Well the cultures are markedly different from one region to another, and there is no way a coach can speak 'the language of the players' because they are all different. If an Indian coach is selected, it is almost guaranteed that he will speak to them in English anyway.

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
Well the cultures are markedly different from one region to another, and there is no way a coach can speak 'the language of the players' because they are all different. If an Indian coach is selected, it is almost guaranteed that he will speak to them in English anyway.
Speak he will in English, and accused he will be of fast-tracking players from his own state.