Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thorpe backs Pietersen as ODI captain

Thorpe backs Pietersen as ODI captain

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/engvw...ry/296429.html Interesting...although I think KP might be too wrapped up in his own batting (like Boycott and Lara) to be a good captain but we are running out of options...Strauss off form, Freddie doubtful (and still in the doghouse?). Personally I would pick PC before KP as captain but I think the selectors will keep Vaughan after his Test hunderd (and they'll use his form in the last dead WC match as defence) although that would be a BIG mistake as I agree with thorpe we need change...but what do other people think?
    Ian Botham, Freddie Flintoff, Kevin Pietersen, Brian Laudrup, Gazza and Daniela Hantuchova....a fan of you all FOREVER!!!
    Can't wait to see Australia field a crap leg-spinner like Hollland or Hohns again.....
    Congratulations to Daniela Hantuchova on her 3rd career title....
    Bob Woolmer 1948-2007..farewell to the best coach England never had...
    Arise Sir Beefy....
    Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb...

Certainly a rather romantic notion and it would definitely be quite interesting but my opinion is similar to what I said when discussing the Pakistan captain, you just don't do anything that will jepordise the form of your best player (by a mile as well). He could always turn out like Ponting though, you never know.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    For starters I think Lara being wrapped-up in his own batting making him a poor captain became a load of nonsense. In his third stint, at the very least, he did a good job.

Boycott, meanwhile, doesn't seem to be held in too low a regard at Yorks, suggesting (along with his First-Class batting average of almost 58) that he didn't do too bad a job of combining the two.

As regards Pietersen... who knows. Right now it's unlikely to matter much, as Vaughan will almost certainly be retained in the immediate future... ODI average of 25 or whatever it is and all...
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Certainly a rather romantic notion and it would definitely be quite interesting but my opinion is similar to what I said when discussing the Pakistan captain, you just don't do anything that will jepordise the form of your best player (by a mile as well).
    England do - all the time. And often the captaincy gets blamed (sometimes incorrectly) for jeopardising it.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    England do - all the time. And often the captaincy gets blamed (sometimes incorrectly) for jeopardising it.
    Yeah, just to clarify my point though, when you have such a good player, you should go to any lengths to protect him and to ensure everything around him is perfect so he can go out there and continue to score and do what he does well. I think this applies in England more than anywhere else as well with the, at times, brutal media there.

I'm not sure about KP as a captain. I think it can be good for batsmen to be selfish, especially really talented ones. Collingwood would be my choice, but it's obvious that England's approach to ODI's needs to change, so it might be worth a try.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Being a great batsman is no guarantee of great captaincy either. I'd give the job to Collingwood
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by _GB_ View Post
    it's obvious that England's approach to ODI's needs to change
    Just a shame Superman can't be with us when he can, though.

KP would be a good leader I think. Not sure about a tactician but then in one day games it is not as important. However, PC should be the captain.

Quote Originally Posted by simmy View Post
    Not sure about a tactician but then in one day games it is not as important.
    Kidding, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Kidding, right?
    You think it's equally important or more?

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    If a different captain for Test and ODI games is deemed the right thing to do, then Colly would get my vote ahead of KP.

Does this make KP a chav? And if so, would he be England's first chav captain if chosen?

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    You think it's equally important or more?
    There's every bit as much tactics involved in the shorter game as the longer, and it all moves one hell of a lot faster, too.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Once again, CW exposed for a gross mix-up in scallies/chavs

Someone all in adidas would be a scally but not if they are wearing it for sports. As a sportsman, KP can wear whatever he wants and get away with it, unless he starts hanging round by the shops across the street from me, asking me for a light and to go and get him a bottle of white lightning, and lambrini for his pregnant missus.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information