• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Thorpe backs Pietersen as ODI captain

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/engvwi/content/current/story/296429.html Interesting...although I think KP might be too wrapped up in his own batting (like Boycott and Lara) to be a good captain but we are running out of options...Strauss off form, Freddie doubtful (and still in the doghouse?). Personally I would pick PC before KP as captain but I think the selectors will keep Vaughan after his Test hunderd (and they'll use his form in the last dead WC match as defence) although that would be a BIG mistake as I agree with thorpe we need change...but what do other people think?

pasag

RTDAS
Certainly a rather romantic notion and it would definitely be quite interesting but my opinion is similar to what I said when discussing the Pakistan captain, you just don't do anything that will jepordise the form of your best player (by a mile as well). He could always turn out like Ponting though, you never know.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
For starters I think Lara being wrapped-up in his own batting making him a poor captain became a load of nonsense. In his third stint, at the very least, he did a good job.

Boycott, meanwhile, doesn't seem to be held in too low a regard at Yorks, suggesting (along with his First-Class batting average of almost 58) that he didn't do too bad a job of combining the two.

As regards Pietersen... who knows. Right now it's unlikely to matter much, as Vaughan will almost certainly be retained in the immediate future... ODI average of 25 or whatever it is and all...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Certainly a rather romantic notion and it would definitely be quite interesting but my opinion is similar to what I said when discussing the Pakistan captain, you just don't do anything that will jepordise the form of your best player (by a mile as well).
England do - all the time. And often the captaincy gets blamed (sometimes incorrectly) for jeopardising it.

pasag

RTDAS
England do - all the time. And often the captaincy gets blamed (sometimes incorrectly) for jeopardising it.
Yeah, just to clarify my point though, when you have such a good player, you should go to any lengths to protect him and to ensure everything around him is perfect so he can go out there and continue to score and do what he does well. I think this applies in England more than anywhere else as well with the, at times, brutal media there.

_GB_

Cricket Spectator
I'm not sure about KP as a captain. I think it can be good for batsmen to be selfish, especially really talented ones. Collingwood would be my choice, but it's obvious that England's approach to ODI's needs to change, so it might be worth a try.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Being a great batsman is no guarantee of great captaincy either. I'd give the job to Collingwood

simmy

International Regular
KP would be a good leader I think. Not sure about a tactician but then in one day games it is not as important. However, PC should be the captain.

Woodster

International Captain
If a different captain for Test and ODI games is deemed the right thing to do, then Colly would get my vote ahead of KP.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Once again, CW exposed for a gross mix-up in scallies/chavs

Someone all in adidas would be a scally but not if they are wearing it for sports. As a sportsman, KP can wear whatever he wants and get away with it, unless he starts hanging round by the shops across the street from me, asking me for a light and to go and get him a bottle of white lightning, and lambrini for his pregnant missus.

pasag

RTDAS
Once again, CW exposed for a gross mix-up in scallies/chavs

Someone all in adidas would be a scally but not if they are wearing it for sports. As a sportsman, KP can wear whatever he wants and get away with it, unless he starts hanging round by the shops across the street from me, asking me for a light and to go and get him a bottle of white lightning, and lambrini for his pregnant missus.
Haha, all I know about Chavs is from CW. Never heard of it anywhere else and I have quite a few pom mates as well.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haha, all I know about Chavs is from CW. Never heard of it anywhere else and I have quite a few pom mates as well.
These days all you have to do to be labelled a chav is swear and have an ASBO. In my day, chavs were football hooligans who were to be feared.