Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: Which will be the best test side in 2008? and why?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Australia

16 53.33%
  • Bangladesh

0 0%
  • England

5 16.67%
  • India

2 6.67%
  • New Zealand

1 3.33%
  • Pakistan

1 3.33%
  • South Africa

0 0%
  • Sri Lanka

0 0%
  • West Indies

2 6.67%
  • Bangladesh

3 10.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Side Of July 2007-Oct 2008

Best Side Of July 2007-Oct 2008

This period will determine the best sides in the world and where they stand.
    The icc rankings may say aussies at the top and india down on 5-6 or south africa down at 5 but they dont tell the full story and this period will see some big series and tours.

I think the top 3 spot in tests will be fought by australia, pakistan and england with pakistans pace attack being crucial to their challenge.

I think pakistan will edge out the other 2 and be the best side in this period.(well least till their bowlers get injured anyway)

Some will say i only chose pakistan cos i am biased but i truly think with all the changes being made like captaincy, new talent and everything and every effort being made by our academy to help the fast bowlers pakistan can really step it up now and surely will.
    much also depends on shoaib but he has recently been saying how he wants to get fit and everything and i think this time he is here to stay
    Last edited by gunner; 30-05-2007 at 01:44 PM.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    My money's on West Indies, TBH.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

if england get their bowling right and firing fully again ill put my money on them but the aussies will come back stronger they always do.....
    ENGLAND CB SERIES CHAMPS FUTURE WORLD CUP CHAMPS(2011) AND IN 2009 THE ASHES HOLDERS

the official England 'patriotic cheerleader'

Proud supporter of the England national cricket, football and rugby teams and of TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR FOOTBALL CLUBS

Msn: jammay123@hotmail.co.uk

come on CW BLUE

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Australia have dominated the game for years and I dont see that changing any time soon. The ashes in England will tell a lot though. In my opinion England (Once they get a few players back) Will be a dominant tes side with a batting attack of Pieterson in the middle order with Flintoff while Trescothick and Strauss opening (thats if there in form) and Vaughn or Cook at three (not sure who, at his best Vaughn should be but Cook is a lot more consitent. And a bowling attack of four speed and one spinner. But it might (and probably will) Not be enough to beat Australia. But personally the list will look like this.

1. Australia
    2. South Africa
    3. New zealand
    4. England
    5. Sri Lanka
    6. West Indies
    7. India
    8. Pakistan
    9. Bangladesh.
    Last edited by cover drive man; 30-05-2007 at 02:17 PM.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Aussies. Best infastructure, best FC competition = generally the best chance to be at the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Which explains why they've just about never in Test history been out of the top 2 sides, other than when Rebel-tours intervened.

i dont think they will fill the hole left by mcgrath,warne,langer and martyn this quick in the test team by next eyar though.
    will take them some time

I agree with Richard, the West Indies look set for greatness.

However, if only they could get two middle order batsman to help out Sylvester Joseph, his practically carrying their batting at the moment but no worries about the bowling, the performances speak for themselves.

Banned
    I picked the second Bangladesh option, as I assumed it must be Bangladesh "B"

Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    Australia have dominated the game for years and I dont see that changing any time soon. The ashes in England will tell a lot though. In my opinion England (Once they get a few players back) Will be a dominant tes side with a batting attack of Pieterson in the middle order with Flintoff while Trescothick and Strauss opening (thats if there in form) and Vaughn or Cook at three (not sure who, at his best Vaughn should be but Cook is a lot more consitent. And a bowling attack of four speed and one spinner. But it might (and probably will) Not be enough to beat Australia. But personally the list will look like this.

1. Australia
    2. South Africa
    3. New zealand
    4. England
    5. Sri Lanka
    6. West Indies
    7. India
    8. Pakistan
    9. Bangladesh.
    New Zealand have three test series against South Africa (away), England at home and then away - I can not see them doing much in any of those series and its simply illogical to have India and Pakistan behind the West Indies.

Biggest test for England in the next twelve months is Sri Lanka away and for South Africa the away series to both India and England, huge tours.

Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    I agree with Richard, the West Indies look set for greatness.
    Was only a short-term <ignore> stint, then?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Was only a short-term <ignore> stint, then?
    Yeah.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    I can't see anyone other than Australia dominating Test cricket over the course of the next year.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Well... I think they're the most likely... but remember the last time they played India sans-McGrath (and Warne too, but Warne's always had limited success against India in any case)?

Of course, in the possession of Stuart Clark (and hopefully Jason Gillespie) their attack is still (presumably going to be) very far from shoddy and of course massively superior to the one they had in 2003\04, inclusive of Lee, Williams and a novice Bracken who should never have been picked at that time.

But IF India can bat well in that series, especially against the bowlers other than Clark, it'll send out a massive confidence-boost to everyone else. And I honestly can't remember who their next series after India is against.

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    I imagine Australia will go in with Clark-Lee-Tait-Watson-MacGill for the test series against India. Unfortunately I don't see a way back for Gillespie now as Tait and Johnson and possibly even Hilfenhaus are ahead of him.
    Proud member of the Twenty20 is boring society

E-Mail - liamhowgate@yahoo.co.uk
    MSN - liamhowgate@hotmail.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information