• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jesse Ryder set to quit NZ for England

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Jesse Ryder, yes the man with the name you'd expect to find on the cast list for "Goodwill humping", really has outdone himself.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4074761a1823.html

His performances for his domestic side are good enough for a call up?
He averaged 41 in first class cricket and 24 in list A. He's shown a remarkable ability waste his talent, to stay out drinking before match time, to pile on the pounds and to be an arrogant ****. But I wouldn't say any of those are good reasons to bring him into the New Zealand side. It doesn't matter which country he pledges his allegiance to. He'll never get into any decent side if he keeps behaving like he does now.

Congradulations jesse, you've truly reached the pinnacle of ********.

Last edited by a moderator:

James

Cricket Web Owner
I disagree actually, Vincent came out last week saying he's looking at his future overseas, and now Ryder does the same. There have been issues in the past between the players and NZC and I wouldn't be surprised if something similiar is again happening now.

And can you blame them really? NZ players get paid a pathetic salary and most of them would get double, even triple overseas. Much like what many of the All Blacks are doing post WC.

If NZC and NZ Rugby want to keep their young players, they have to pay them accordingly.

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
I disagree actually, Vincent came out last week saying he's looking at his future overseas, and now Ryder does the same. There have been issues in the past between the players and NZC and I wouldn't be surprised if something similiar is again happening now.

And can you blame them really? NZ players get paid a pathetic salary and most of them would get double, even triple overseas. Much like what many of the All Blacks are doing post WC.

If NZC and NZ Rugby want to keep their young players, they have to pay them accordingly.
Haha, I was expecting you to warn him for breaking the filter before I read your post.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
His performances for his domestic side are good enough for a call up?
Well, to be fair to him, averaging over 40 with the bat in first class cricket in New Zealand is very rare. Mathew Sinclair does it though, and we all know how much of a waste of talent he is.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

Players like Vincent, I can understand being upset. He's performed well for New Zealand consistently, and yet over the past couple of years has struggled to make it into the New Zealand Contracts list behind a host of pretenders.

Ryder on the other hand, while a ridiculously talented player, has never done anything to suggest he deserves anything more than a standard Wellington retainer. If he wasn't such a fat, lazy, arrogant slob, and actually had a bit of discipline, he would have been in the New Zealand side years ago.

Yes it would be nice if NZC could afford to pay its players more money, but they barely break even every year as it is. And it appears more than anything, that this is all about Ryder's ego being bruised by his exclusion from the New Zealand side. And if he's impatient about that, then I hardly think moving to England, where there are a host of young talented batsmen just like him, and a much heavier emphasis on professionalism than down here, is a smart choice.

Oh, and sorry about the filter.

Last edited:

James

Cricket Web Owner
Players like Vincent, I can understand being upset. He's performed well for New Zealand consistently, and yet over the past couple of years has struggled to make it into the New Zealand Contracts list behind a host of pretenders.

Ryder on the other hand, while a ridiculously talented player, has never done anything to suggest he deserves anything more than a standard Wellington retainer. If he wasn't such a fat, lazy, arrogant slob, he would have been in the New Zealand side years ago, and actually had a bit of discipline, he would have been in the New Zealand side years ago.

Yes it would be nice if NZC could afford to pay its players more money, but they barely break even every year as it is. And it appears more than anything, that this is all about Ryder's ego being bruised by his exclusion from the New Zealand side. And if he's impatient about that, then I hardly think moving to England, where there are a host of young talented batsmen just like him, and a much heavier emphasis on professionalism than down here, is a smart choice.

Oh, and sorry about the filter.
Fair points although you do take it a bit far in your second paragraph I feel. I don't disagree with you, but I feel as though, perhaps it could all have been handled a little better by NZC as he's obviously felt this way for quite a while.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Gotta laugh at this bonehead. As if an international cap is some sort of right, that you award yourself when you think you're good enough.

If this is how he feels, I'm happy for him to defect.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ryder is not quick enough for professional cricket. To be a successful bowler, you need to bowl at least 140kmh, not 14 kmh. Though with the bulk behind him, I'm not surprised he's so slow.

He is on facebook btw. If you feel like it, create a 'Jesse Ryder is a nob' group and then invite him to join.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Self-obsessed waste of talent as far as I'm concerned. Vincent has been there, done the hard yards and made the Black Caps whereas Ryder has done what? Left one association because his drinking was out of control and has massively underachieved in List A. Smarmy upstarts who seem to think they're bigger than the game (and in Ryder's case, that could be applied in the literal sense) are far too common in this day and age and he can go and play for Equatorial Guinea for all I care.

Should I have read the article first? :D

Fiery

Banned
Self-obsessed waste of talent as far as I'm concerned. Vincent has been there, done the hard yards and made the Black Caps whereas Ryder has done what? Left one association because his drinking was out of control and has massively underachieved in List A. Smarmy upstarts who seem to think they're bigger than the game (and in Ryder's case, that could be applied in the literal sense) are far too common in this day and age and he can go and play for Equatorial Guinea for all I care.

Should I have read the article first? :D
Well summed up. Reading the article will your reinforce that view x100

Craig

World Traveller
Well, to be fair to him, averaging over 40 with the bat in first class cricket in New Zealand is very rare. Mathew Sinclair does it though, and we all know how much of a waste of talent he is.
TBF Sinclair has been screwed around a bit as well. I mean making him open, mean made to be the scape goat.

Last edited:

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Ryder is not quick enough for professional cricket. To be a successful bowler, you need to bowl at least 140kmh, not 14 kmh. Though with the bulk behind him, I'm not surprised he's so slow.

He is on facebook btw. If you feel like it, create a 'Jesse Ryder is a nob' group and then invite him to join.
Haha, his display pic is so..........apt