• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jesse Ryder set to quit NZ for England

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I remember watching him bat in his first season for CD and he wasn't big at all, he was a normal-sized guy and if anything maybe even on the smaller side.

The next time I saw him I was quite taken aback. He was a huge guy clumsily waddling up to the bowling crease for Wellington.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Jesse Ryder licks his lips as he takes off for a quick single. The 'larger than life' Wellington Allrounder showed amazing speed as he continued to run, disappearing straight out of the Basin Reserve. He was later seen rolling up to the McDonalds drive-thru, and when approached by baffled Wellingtonians, Ryder, bat in right hand and Big Mac in the other, remarked on his days performance, "I'm really stoked matey, 1min 23secs from the RA Vance stand end to Macca's is a new personal record, bloody stoked".

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I find it funny that people reckon his too fat to play for England, Robert Key.....

Also for a guy to average mid 40s in Kiwi domestic pitches is a fair effort and if i was him and saw guys averaging in the 30s, making the Kiwi side. I would have to ask myself what is the point. You out score these other guys by a fair margin and don't get a look in.

Also Bracewell and Kiwi management do seem to have some very poor man management skills. Their inability to keep players and fringe players in particular informed about the areas they need to improve to make the national side is poor. From reading back about Sinclair, Fulton (when he was overlooked), Vincent and now Ryder it does seem most of the players don't know what areas they meant to improve to get into the side.

Also a lot of the potential move would have to do with the fact that if he moves to Australia or England he would get paid a lot more then what he does playing domestic cricket in NZ and in some cases more then what you get playing international cricket. It does seem that someone has mentioned the possible salary and this has influenced his thought process. When people are saying you can get double or more then what you get to play domestic in these countries, a young player has to stop and think. Also if Rikki Clarke can make the England NT side as an all rounder, he most be good shot.

I think clearly if Kiwis are going to stop the potential influx of players moving overseas. It does look like some Australia states are looking more at Kiwi players and England county sides have always looked overseas. There some major issues they need to address. These issues are bigger then just Ryder looking to move overseas. Mark my words, if they don't start looking closer at their own house, the potential influx of players going overseas is going to increase.

Last edited:

James

Cricket Web Owner
I don't see the issue with size personally. As long as you're scoring runs, does it matter? And in First Class cricket at least he does have a great record averaging 44 with the bat and 26 with the ball.

Some of the world's best batsman have been been overweight, i.e. David Boon, Ajuna Ranatunga. I'm sure there's others too.

Fiery

Banned
I don't see the issue with size personally. As long as you're scoring runs, does it matter? And in First Class cricket at least he does have a great record averaging 44 with the bat and 26 with the ball.

Some of the world's best batsman have been been overweight, i.e. David Boon, Ajuna Ranatunga. I'm sure there's others too.
Yeah, W.G himself was no Mary-Katie Olsen

James

Cricket Web Owner
Also Bracewell and Kiwi management do seem to have some very poor man management skills. Their inability to keep players and fringe players in particular informed about the areas they need to improve to make the national side is poor. From reading back about Sinclair, Fulton (when he was overlooked), Vincent and now Ryder it does seem most of the players don't know what areas they meant to improve to get into the side.

Also a lot of the potential move would have to do with the fact that if he moves to Australia or England he would get paid a lot more then what he does playing domestic cricket in NZ and in some cases more then what you get playing international cricket. It does seem that someone has mentioned the possible salary and this has influenced his thought process. When people are saying you can get double or more then what you get to play domestic in these countries, a young player has to stop and think. Also if Rikki Clarke can make the England NT side as an all rounder, he most be good shot.

I think clearly if Kiwis are going to stop the potential influx of players moving overseas. It does look like some Australia states are looking more at Kiwi players and England county sides have always looked overseas. There some major issues they need to address. These issues are bigger then just Ryder looking to move overseas. Mark my words, if they don't start looking closer at their own house, the potential influx of players going overseas is going to increase.
What a superb post, raised some very interesting points :)

It certainly does seem that way as I seem to recall that Sinclair was looking at continuing his career in South Africa a few years back.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Still had to run between wickets. As James said there is plenty of modern batsmen that have played Test Cricket and been successful even though they were overweight.
Yeah, weight aint really and issue. Although players like Craig McMillan have been told to go back to domestic cricket and get in better shape before so....

He should just be in better shape.

Reminds me of a banner I saw at McLean Park back in 2001 i think. Shane Warne wasnt touring with the Aussies. The banner read:

Sorry Shane
Too fat for the plane

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, weight aint really and issue. Although players like Craig McMillan have been told to go back to domestic cricket and get in better shape before so....

He should just be in better shape.
It more about match fitness really. If your fit enough to get through a 4 Day match, your fit enough to play a Test Match. The guy plays for Wellington as an all rounder, i can't see how his not match fit. Considering he would likely play for NZ as batsmen, not an all rounder. He would play as batting all rounder at most.

Fiery

Banned
It more about match fitness really. If your fit enough to get through a 4 Day match, your fit enough to play a Test Match. The guy plays for Wellington as an all rounder, i can't see how his not match fit. Considering he would likely play for NZ as batsmen, not an all rounder. He would play as batting all rounder at most.
I've seen him red-faced and blowing after a couple of overs. The fitter you are the better player you'll be so weight is an issue for international players for sure. You just don't see any beer-guts like Merv Hughes and David Boon these days and rightly so

Last edited:

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
I've seen him red-faced and blowing after a couple of overs. The fitter you are the better player you'll be so weight is an issue for international players for sure. You just don't see any beer-guts like Merv Hughes and David Boons these days and rightly so
And then there is his attitude.

As I've said before, my mate who has played against him says he is an absolute ****

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I find it funny that people reckon his too fat to play for England, Robert Key.....

Also for a guy to average mid 40s in Kiwi domestic pitches is a fair effort and if i was him and saw guys averaging in the 30s, making the Kiwi side. I would have to ask myself what is the point. You out score these other guys by a fair margin and don't get a look in.

His career average looks pretty good, but his better seasons were all when he was a bit younger. He barely averaged 40 this season, in a year when Michael Papps scored 1000 runs, and the likes of Peter Ingram, Neil Broom and Hamish Marshall all scored bucket loads. Ryder's own coach said the side was disappointed with how little they got out of him, and the number of times I read the score sheets this season to find out he got out for 20 or 30 was ridiculous. It's true that in past seasons he probably should have got a go, but we've all heard about his drinking, his warring with his various coaches and his obesity.

If he's leaving for money, then that's a totally different issue. However, if he believes he can just walk into a county side without any kind of international reputation, he's got another thing coming. I reckon he'll need at least a full season before he gets anywhere.

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't be surprised if this was some childish effort on his behalf, to try and scare New Zealand Cricket into giving him a test cap sooner rather than later.

Fiery

Banned
To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't be surprised if this was some childish effort on his behalf, to try and scare New Zealand Cricket into giving him a test cap sooner rather than later.

That's exactly what it is imo.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
His career average looks pretty good, but his better seasons were all when he was a bit younger. He barely averaged 40 this season, in a year when Michael Papps scored 1000 runs, and the likes of Peter Ingram, Neil Broom and Hamish Marshall all scored bucket loads. Ryder's own coach said the side was disappointed with how little they got out of him, and the number of times I read the score sheets this season to find out he got out for 20 or 30 was ridiculous. It's true that in past seasons he probably should have got a go, but we've all heard about his drinking, his warring with his various coaches and his obesity.

If he's leaving for money, then that's a totally different issue. However, if he believes he can just walk into a county side without any kind of international reputation, he's got another thing coming. I reckon he'll need at least a full season before he gets anywhere.

If a bad season is averaging just under 40, what does it say about most batsmen in NZ who average in the low 30s for most of their careers.

When it comes to getting a county contract, if he has English passport, he would walk into most sides. As he wont have to play as international. Look at how many South African have been given county contracts and they are not much more then you average FC cricketer.