• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Future of fast bowling in India

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Sreesanth in cloudy and green English conditions with his pace and swing could be deadly and the key to winning the series. On the other hand, this Bangladesh series is more of a run scoring competition.

R_D

International Debutant
Unfortunately not live as the games are not telecast. Basically the knock against him is that he is not fast, and the Indian selectors are obsessed with speed. Never mind that he manages to take lots of wickets at a phenomenal average, or that he is known for being able to bowl for an entire day in the hot sun....it's like they have this criteria and anyone who doesn't fit their preconcieved notion (young, fast, preferably tall) is immediately discarded.
He's only 25 years old, i thought he was in 30's or somthing so thats why he might not be getting a chance in national team, heard alot about him but only from other cricket followers nothing from media even though he's been very consistent performer for quite a few seasons now. I beleive they did take Gangdeep to tour of Bangladesh i think but he never got a game and was discarded after the tour even though, he didn't get a game :wacko: I'm pretty sure it was him.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, it was. He didn't get a game, clearly he did not prove himself in training.

From the India Vs Bangladesh thread:
Just in case anyone who didn't watch the game and is wondering the average speeds of the Indian bowlers.

Zaheer: about 134 kph.
Ishant: about 135-136 kph.
RP Singh: about 137 kph.

Ishant and RP both, occasionally, touched 140 kph.
It Ishant can get to 140kph now, when he is fully grown (he is only 18) and if he puts on a bit of muscle (he is very skinny) he could be a very dangerous quick bouncy bowler.

I believed I have figured a small issue that Munaf Patel has that hinders much of his cricket. I do not believe that he runs to the crease fast enough. This leads to him using his body too much at the crease. Using your body at the crease leads to stiffness of your body which is a reason for his sluggish fielding. It also fatigues your body which has caused his significent drop in pace since realising the hectic International Schedule. Using your body at the crease can also lead to a number of niggling injuries which may be the cause of Munaf pulling out of numerous matches with little evidence of an injury.

Interesting...

Last edited:

quick4mindia

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yes, it was. He didn't get a game, clearly he did not prove himself in training.

From the India Vs Bangladesh thread:

It Ishant can get to 140kph now, when he is fully grown (he is only 18) and if he puts on a bit of muscle (he is very skinny) he could be a very dangerous quick bouncy bowler.

I believed I have figured a small issue that Munaf Patel has that hinders much of his cricket. I do not believe that he runs to the crease fast enough. This leads to him using his body too much at the crease. Using your body at the crease leads to stiffness of your body which is a reason for his sluggish fielding. It also fatigues your body which has caused his significent drop in pace since realising the hectic International Schedule. Using your body at the crease can also lead to a number of niggling injuries which may be the cause of Munaf pulling out of numerous matches with little evidence of an injury.

Interesting...
I was wondering why dint nobody tell him about this...and then i heard Venkatesh Prasad was India's bowling coach...A tall superslow bowler...whom i mistook of watching a replay on several occassions...If munaf cant run fast enough and cant field well he is a gone case for ODIs.....I fear if he starts running fast he will injure some other body part.....so the best way for him would be to naturally find his way out of the team....Ishant Sharma was trying hard to bowl fast (he was consistent at 135 with resonable accuracy) Would be under scanner in day 3 of ongoing test

adharcric

International Coach
Manee said:
Obviously, there is a reason - he doesn't have an ounce of stamina. Is it that surprising? He probably developed a **** action in his village without any fitness regimen or coaching.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
In the long term of a whole match/series, it uses less energy to run in than use your body at the crease.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Whither Irfan?

Had kind of expected him to go off into domestic and/or county play (a la Zaheer) and re-establish himself. Not a peep from him.

Not a couple of years ago was the 1st over hat trick. After a long time, he made a 5-bowl team possible for India.

Yet not a mention of him in the last 2 months! Pretty much gone forever?

If so, who else on the medium pacer allrounder front? (part of the 'fast bowling' cupboard in India). Joginder Sharma blew it a couple of times. Any one else (Praveen Kumar?) even remotely in the ballpark?

adharcric

International Coach
Given that Pathan is only 22 years old and very talented, his career is far from over. The next best options are Joginder Sharma, Praveen Kumar and Sachin Rana - among them, only the former is proven in domestic cricket but he tends to blow the rare opportunities that he receives at the highest level. Praveen Kumar may have a stronger case for selection after another good season.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Bit of a bump but who cares :)

Can anyone who watches Indian Domestic Cricket explain to me how Gagandeep Singh has such an amazing average in FC and economy in List A in the flat tracks and spinning pitches of India? Can that same person also explain to me how he has not recieved a look in yet to the Indian side?

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
He has recieved a look in, but he was dropped without getting a game (He went on the tour to Bangladesh, and that was it).

short shorts

School Boy/Girl Captain
Given that Pathan is only 22 years old and very talented, his career is far from over. The next best options are Joginder Sharma, Praveen Kumar and Sachin Rana - among them, only the former is proven in domestic cricket but he tends to blow the rare opportunities that he receives at the highest level. Praveen Kumar may have a stronger case for selection after another good season.
Praveen Kumar - doing really well in my ICC 2006 India campaign :ph34r:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Bit of a bump but who cares :)

Can anyone who watches Indian Domestic Cricket explain to me how Gagandeep Singh has such an amazing average in Tests and economy in ODIs in the flat tracks and spinning pitches of India? Can that same person also explain to me how he has not recieved a look in yet to the Indian side?
Look deeper in stat sheets and you'll find several seam bowlers in India with decent figures. However, all of them lack a very vital ingredient- pace- raw pace. Something lacking even in India's frontline Test and ODI strike seamers. Conditions in the north actually aid seam bowling well, so it's not surprising that you find better FC figures from there.

About Gagandeep, he's a medium-pace swing bowler, who's not even very tall (though not dwarf-like, unlike some seamers we've seen don the India jersey) and has had better support than will be expected when playing for India- Punjab/North have five bowlers, unlike the national team. He's very effective on the field, but we have to look at how much value he adds to the team, in what way.

Someone mentioned Joginder- he's rarely given a chance. He got one match, did rather well with the new ball, then another, then old-ball issues showed up, then another, but got taken off after just three overs. Then he was dropped and the Indian team lost four ODI's in a row, and the series, to Pakistan. Two years later. in the needless ODI series against a half-strength WI team, he only got one match and hasn't played since. That said, he's very underpowered in comparison to the Pathans, Powar and Praveen Kumar.

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
Can anyone who watches Indian Domestic Cricket explain to me how Gagandeep Singh has such an amazing average in Tests and economy in ODIs in the flat tracks and spinning pitches of India? Can that same person also explain to me how he has not recieved a look in yet to the Indian side?
I seem to recall him getting a look-in in a few ODI games but that seems to just be a figment of my imagination. Maybe it was someone by a similar name to him who I'm thinking about.

Gagandeep's high average may be because he played a lot of his career when we were in the zonal first class competition, and he may have come across poor opposition. But honestly I don't know.