• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Opening Bowlers for the 1877-1940 Test XI

Choose TWO Opening Bowlers for the 1877-1940 Test XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oz_fan

International Regular
This is a poll to decide the two opening bowlers for the 1877-1940 Test XI. You need to choose two bowlers from the following list:

Bowler mat wkts bbi bbm ave econ sr 5w 10w Wkt/Test
Harold Larwood - 21 78 6/32 10/124 28.35 2.67 63.7 4 1 3.715
Bill Voce - 24 97 7/70 11/149 26.04 2.58 60.3 3 2 4.042
Fred Spofforth - 18 94 7/44 14/90 18.41 2.48 44.52 7 4 5.222
Sydney Barnes - 27 189 9/103 17/159 16.43 2.36 41.65 24 7 7
George Lohmann - 18 112 9/28 15/45 10.75 1.89 34.11 9 5 6.222

Last edited:

oz_fan

International Regular
My vote goes to Spofforth and Barnes. Lohmann is unlucky as all three have incredible records.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gah, I didn't see Spofforth there so voted for Barnes and Lohmann.

a massive zebra

International Captain
My vote goes to Spofforth and Barnes. Lohmann is unlucky as all three have incredible records.
Actually, Spofforth's Test bowling average, while good, is relatively unspectacular for his time, behind many contemporaries such as Ferris, Turner, Lohmann, (W) Barnes, Bates, Peel and Briggs. As with several modern day bowlers like Lillee and Warne, Spofforth's reputation is based more on style and charisma than actual on field performances.

I'm not sure many people would actually vote for him, but surely Maurice Tate is more deserving of a place on the possible selections list than Bill Voce. In addition to being inconsistently devastating with the bat, he was England's bowling spearhead for most of the 1920s and IIRC took nearly 40 wickets in one Ashes series, while Bill Voce was never more than a back up to Harold Larwood and only really a regular in the England side for two years.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
IIRC the nominations are dictated by who got into the Pre-1914 and 1919 to 1939 teams. Tate missed out in the 20 year team, so misses out here.

bagapath

International Captain
barnes and spofforth for now. will choose rhodes as allrounder. oreilly as the first spinner. and come back to loahmann for the fourth bowling slot... that is, if i vote in all those polls!!!

Last edited:

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
As with several modern day bowlers like Lillee and Warne, Spofforth's reputation is based more on style and charisma than actual on field performances.
I'd say that Lillee and Warne's reputations were based very much on their onfield performances, and merely enhanced by their style and charisma? :unsure:

JBH001

International Regular
I agree with AMZ. Where is Maurice Tate, I would say he is better than everyone here except for Barnes, of course?

Did he not make the 1919 - 1939 side? Or is he being included as the 3rd bowler?

Anyway, I vote for Larwood and Barnes.

neville cardus

International Debutant
It quite simply could not have been any twosome other than the Spoff-Barney one for me. Both men, analogous in style and method, wholly personified the sort of spiteful, Machiavellian aspect for which all Demon Bowlers have been known and feared.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It quite simply could not have been any twosome other than the Spoff-Barney one for me. Both men, analogous in style and method, wholly personified the sort of spiteful, Machiavellian aspect for which all Demon Bowlers have been known and feared.
What a lovely name to have , the prince of cricket writers. Welcome :)

neville cardus

International Debutant
What a lovely name to have , the prince of cricket writers. Welcome :)
Thank you, SJS, for your very kind words of welcome. I have, in fact, been a member of the Cricket Web forum under Cardus’s name for some months now. For fear of appearing to be ostentatious and (which is worse) doing the man no justice, I avoided posting until very recently, when Archie Mac encouraged me to do so.

Thanks again, mate.