• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's ODI lineup after World Cup

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1. I Bell
2. V Chopra
3. A Cook
4. KP
5. M Ali (C)
6. B Godleman
7. S Davies
8. A Rashid
9. J Anderson
10. S Mahmood
11. T Smith

If you're looking towards 2011, you can't go past this line-up.
Except for the fact that Mahmood is there.

FBU

International Debutant
My team for 2011 -

1 Trescothick
2 Benning
3 Godleman
4 Pietersen
5 Bopara
6 Gidman (c)
7 Blackwell
8 Read
9 Plunkett
10 Broad
11 Anderson

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As it stands if i see Mahmood or Plunkett in either form of the game this summer, im going to lose considerable interest in the game, and i've already lost quite a bit since our last Ashes and the rather poorly organised world cup. As it stands, this world cup i havent even watched half as many games as i've watched in past world cups.
That's probably the most sentiment we've ever shared TBH.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The big reason Panesar should not play ODIs is not merely because it's patently obvious he's not currently good enough but that you'd have to be a complete fool to think there's no chance of this affecting his Test bowling. I was pleased they managed to keep him out for as long as they did but it was almost inevitable they were going to fall eventually.

The problem is not merely that he hasn't managed to work-out what he needs to do in ODIs - it's that people are saying "bowl like you do in Tests" but that's patently not going to work; then instead he's going to be bowling like he has in the ODIs in the Tests, which is going to make him lesser in both.

Right now, I'd not be unhappy to see him completely excluded from all limited-overs cricket. Just play First-Class stuff for Northants and Tests.

Dave - Newman has been shifted down the order and that's damaged his prospects? Come on! You should've spotted that he was shifted down because he'd been doing nothing at all as an opener in the shorter game.

I've never really seen him bat but I can't help wondering if he's going to be the next Strauss TBH.

And as for Loye - no point, at all. Makes no sense to pick him now, his time has gone.

Last edited:

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
It is a shame that Mal Loye is not in the provisional squad of 25. And it is really puzzling to see Trescothick , Simon Jones just walking into the side as if it were their right.

My ODI XI would be

Mal Loye
Benning
I Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
I Blackwell
P Nixon
S Broad
J Snape
C Tremlett
J Lewis

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
It is a shame that Mal Loye is not in the provisional squad of 25. And it is really puzzling to see Trescothick , Simon Jones just walking into the side as if it were their right.

My ODI XI would be

Mal Loye
Benning
I Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
I Blackwell
P Nixon
S Broad
J Snape
C Tremlett
J Lewis
No Flintoff?

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
In an ideal world:

Trescothick
Benning
Trott
KP
Flintoff
Collingwood
Read/Pothas
Blackwell
T.Smith
Mascheranas
Anderson

Last edited:

dcnstntn

Cricket Spectator
Vaughan
Trescothick
Pietersen
Strauss
Bopara
Collingwood
Flintoff
Nixon
S Jones
Anderson
Panesar

Cook, Foster, Bell, Broad, Dalrymple, Key knocking on the door. I like the sound of Mascheranas too,

FBU

International Debutant
If Benning is not one of the 5 to be added to the Performance Squad then the selectors should be shot.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Agreed, Blackwell > Panesar right now. I prefer Panesar as a batsman, though.

But TBH, I can't see Blackwell maintaining his pretty-good ODI bowling record. It's not like his domestic record is anything to shout about.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
batty, ball, middlebrook, udal ,dalrymple and yardy were about as good as it got in limited overs domestic cricket last year for spinners. sadly we are hardly spoilt for choice.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well Ball's retired now, Udal's no longer a viable option (was strange indeed that he played 1 ODI on the Pakistan tour :huh: ) and Dalrymple and Yardy are more batsmen.

Batty, of course, has been tried and is clearly nowhere near good enough and I'm less than convinced after the Middlebrook Saga. So I'd prefer him not to be let near the side.

TBH, though, Yardy and Blackwell both have excellent bowling figures to date.