• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Maybe. But a recent article by Kamran Akmal made me think that the follow-on is almost always a bad idea.

simmy

International Regular
Maybe. But a recent article by Kamran Akmal made me think that the follow-on is almost always a bad idea.
Meh, if you can enforce go for it I say.

It gives you the best chance of winning with inclement weather likely.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm hoping we'll not bother with the follow-on.
Richard, of all people you should know better than to get ahead of yourself at this point!!! I, personally panic whenever KP gets out, reagrdless of the fact that the three people batting below him have all scored centuries in their last match :)

Us FTW though

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Meh, if you can enforce go for it I say.

It gives you the best chance of winning with inclement weather likely.
He scores fast when he's scoring - simple as. Same with Pietersen. They're strokeplayers, and when the bowling's this abysmal they'll score and score fast.

Given good weather and these two staying in (both of which are no-guarantees), though, 400 is a distinct possibility.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He scores fast when he's scoring - simple as. Same with Pietersen. They're strokeplayers, and when the bowling's this abysmal they'll score and score fast.

Given good weather and these two staying in (both of which are no-guarantees), though, 400 is a distinct possibility.
Not wishing to jinx, but as I'm not superstitious I have no qualms making this post - but Vaughan's conversion rate from 50-100 is pretty good innit? Should be maintained here.

simmy

International Regular
But in recent years it's almost invariably resulted in bowlers getting injured.
Well it depends on how long it takes to bowl them out obviously. If say less than a day then I am all for a follow on! Especially considering that Panesar will almost certainly bowl a lot, even on this track.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well it depends on how long it takes to bowl them out obviously. If say less than a day then I am all for a follow on! Especially considering that Panesar will almost certainly bowl a lot, even on this track.
Oh, quite. There's no sense in batting again if, say, you bowl your oppo out in their first-innings on the last day. But that don't often happen.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
And there are loads of others from other countries.
Yeah of course. Thought you were referring to us specifically. I don't blame Ponting for not enforcing the follow on in Brisbane. He would have regretted it had we scored 600 and won mind you :laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah of course. Thought you were referring to us specifically. I don't blame Ponting for not enforcing the follow on in Brisbane. He would have regretted it had we scored 600 and won mind you :laugh:
What about if we'd scored 600 in the follow-on? Might just have won then, too.