• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Changes in Indian cricket

Salamuddin

International Debutant
shastri as the coach i am willing to wait out and see what happens, prasad i have grave doubts about, he was more or less a mediocre medium pacer, not sure why dravid recommended him other than the fact that he is from the same state, robin singh was a brilliant fielder and could teach these sloths a thing or two....anyway some of the other changes are long overdue and very welcome at this stage of indian cricket, hopefully all these don't take too long to implement because of the weight of bureaucracy....
Prasad does have decent coaching credentials though.......he worked with India u-17 and u-19 teams and coached Karnataka to the Ranji trophy semi finals this season.
John Wright spoke quite highly of him when he was coach...

The greatest players don't necessarily make the best coaches - Prasad may not have been Malcolm Marshall as a a player but that should not be held against him when assessing his ability as a coach.
Troy Cooley, for instance, did not even play for Australia , yet nations are clamouring for his services.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good news to hear that Rahul Dravid will be retained as the captain of India, with no other clear candidates it was a one horse race in my opinion.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Not trying to doubt the BCCI before they've had a chance to do anything, but these points do seem a tad optimistic for a report that only came out because India lost one game, i can't help thinking these are reactionary proposals to give the impression that the future is looking better.

adharcric

International Coach
shastri as the coach i am willing to wait out and see what happens, prasad i have grave doubts about, he was more or less a mediocre medium pacer, not sure why dravid recommended him other than the fact that he is from the same state, robin singh was a brilliant fielder and could teach these sloths a thing or two....anyway some of the other changes are long overdue and very welcome at this stage of indian cricket, hopefully all these don't take too long to implement because of the weight of bureaucracy....
Even though I will always have reservations about Prasad, he is well reputed as the under-19 coach; still, I would prefer someone like Bruce Reid. Don't be surprised if Prasad turns out to be a good choice though - he seems to have the credentials. Robin Singh should be a great addition to the coaching staff.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The changes look promising, sure, but as a follower of INdian cricket, the first thing you learn is that it is always better to be cynical than optimistic.

So, I am not gonna get too worked up about all this unless these actually do get implemented. AS they say, there is many a slip between th cup and the lip.

But all these are good changes and in the right direction too. Lets just hope they get implemented and we don't suffer another senior pro outrage and stuff IF a young team does get picked for the BD tour.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i would perfer Ganguly as batsman and captain over Dravid any day.
Big call, especially as a batsman, unless you are talking purely about ODI's. In Test's I don't think there can be a comparison as Rahul Dravid is a much better batsman than Sourav Ganguly. I haven't followed a lot of Ganguly's captaincy, nor Dravid's for that matter so I can't really comment on that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
"Ganguly is a better batsman than Rahul Dravid."

That statement just made my head explode.
Being the Test-only-ODI-no guy you are, that's no surprise.

But Ganguly is and always has been a far superior ODI player to Dravid.

Nonetheless, it's always amusing to re-listen to that piece of commentary from the WC99 game between SA and Ind, which features Sanjay Manjrekar's gem (during the massive Ganguly-Dravid stand) "Saurav Ganguly more talented".

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Being the Test-only-ODI-no guy you are, that's no surprise.

But Ganguly is and always has been a far superior ODI player to Dravid.
Yes, I realize he was the better bits-and-pieces game player, but I was just talking about 'batting'.
Richard said:
Nonetheless, it's always amusing to re-listen to that piece of commentary from the WC99 game between SA and Ind, which features Sanjay Manjrekar's gem (during the massive Ganguly-Dravid stand) "Saurav Ganguly more talented".
LOL, did not know he said that. TBH, around that time Ganguly was in his prime and Rahul hadn't hit his stride yet. Still such a hilarious comment in hindsight.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, I certainly don't consider him an all-rounder, not at all - but he was a batsman who, occasionally, bowled rather well.