Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cricket Celebrations (wickets and hundreds)

Cricket Celebrations (wickets and hundreds)

A clear sign that the value of cricket has adjusted itself.

When Matthew Hayden scored the fastest world cup ton on the 24th, he hit Greame Smith for a massive straight six, was followed by a wry smile, a hug from Ricky Ponting and ready to face the next ball.

Andrew Flintoff, seriously, watch the highlights of the Kenya game, and look at the wicket he got LBW, the umpire gave him out, and Flintoff just stood there as though nothing had happened...

Is this a sign that the value of a century or that of a One Day Wicket has been devalued due to small grounds and weaker teams? Personally, if I were a Kenyan (and as a South African) I find this behaviour insulting to opposing teams....

Your thoughts?
    One of 32 000 people to see "that" 438 match live in Johannesburg, 12th March 2006.

www.spaces.live.com/voltageinternational

msn: voltageinternational@hotmail.com

Area 51 (Been requesting videos that even robelinda cant come up with - up yours all CW )
    There are still teams that value scoring against minnows and feeling good about themselves recent example can be Imran nazir against ZIm and indians have always been a side who play huge attention to stats and averages, # of 100's etc....people like gangully and sehwag are a huge example of it...who have relied on minnows and less pressure conditions to booost their overall averages, # of 100's etc.
    Twitter @3Bouncers
    One of my friends said "And it’s not like we haven’t defeated India enough. I think we’ve beaten them on a couple of occasions, on a lot of occasions, in fact."

Squirrel Soccer Champion!
    I have a cousin who's 11, I bowled him the other week and I ran around the garden swinging my shirt like a mental man. I celebrate every wicket like its the wicket of Ponting or Tendulkar, and I am dissapointed to see what looks like a lack of passion in the international game. I suppose you could say that it is professionalism in its highest form. When you play cricket for a living, and you score the amount of runs, and take the amount of wickets a consistent interntaional player does do, It could be said that you geniunly lose the euphoric feeling as it wears on over a period of time. The players in question (Flintoff and Hayden) have been doing it for years and I can empathise with them not displaying the same level of emotion as you would expect. Even though Hayden has set that world record, he may also feel that he has more of a job to do, and leaves the celebrations untill later.
    This Weeks Samit Patel Fact - Has been mentioned in 32 of my posts

The Rifles - Whats your verdict? www.myspace.com/therifles

Winner of Cricket Webs Shane Warne Award - 4-11th Feb

RIP Mr Woolmer, We are all poorer for your loss.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    I think the Aussies tend to celebrate less during the match then they used to - they save the celebrations until the job is finished. Hayden apparently doesn't watch his score too much so he might not have realised at first either.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Yeah, Hayden may not have realized he got the fastest ton in WC. I know Afridi didn't know about his fastest ton well after the match was over.
    RIP Craigos

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Any player with any sense should realise that a game against Kenya is not comparable to one against, say, Sri Lanka.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

I dont get why people are expected to act like idiots for doing a part of their job. Save your celebrations for big deals.

For a good player a wicket, 50 or even a hundred is just a start. Achieving it is nice but not the ultimate aim, the aim is to do more.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Yeah, true.

Mildly sickening when bowlers jump up and down and scream about having dismissed a tailender.

I'm all for showing emotion, and caring, and the like, and certainly every wicket's worth some sort of celebration, but some bowlers seem to be unable to contextualise.

It's pretty hilarious looking back at the Laker 10-for, and has remained so every single time I've done it.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    WRT Fred, he hardly even appealed for the LBW for his first wicket either. I think, in all fairness, he's got his "business" head on now after last weekend's highjinks. Obviously one doesn't wish to see all the joy drained out of cricket, but I suspect Flintoff was somewhat chastened by the experience.

Or one would hope so.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Best bit of advice I was ever given. 'Act like you have been there before'. Nothing looks more amateurish than jumping around and acting like its your first ever wicket or runs.

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Nothing looks more amateurish than jumping around and acting like its your first ever wicket or runs.
    Try telling Dwayne Bravo.
    Proud member of the Twenty20 is boring society

E-Mail - liamhowgate@yahoo.co.uk
    MSN - liamhowgate@hotmail.com

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomm NCCC View Post
    The players in question (Flintoff and Hayden) have been doing it for years and I can empathise with them not displaying the same level of emotion as you would expect.
    Flintoff isn't exactly in a position where an exuberant celebration of a wicket would be the look for him.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Quote Originally Posted by Pup Clarke View Post
    Try telling Dwayne Bravo.
    Who is a legend and one of the players who makes cricket worth watching, for me. It's great to see that kind of passion - win, lose or draw.

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    I'm sorry but Dwayne Bravo ain't no "legend" IMO.Not until he actually fulfills his potential and actually turns in really consistent performances.I do like a cricketer who plays with a smile on his face for eg Bravo,Ambrose and Murali.

Quote Originally Posted by Pup Clarke View Post
    I'm sorry but Dwayne Bravo ain't no "legend" IMO.Not until he actually fulfills his potential and actually turns in really consistent performances.
    Dwayne Leverock is a legend.

Sorry to offend you, but he is.
    God forbid anyone enjoy sport though.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information