• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sunil blasts the Australians

Do you agree with Sunil Gavaskar’s assessment of the Australians?

• Total voters

C_C

International Captain
So how many other teams have kicked down stumps or barged into umpires when something doesn't go their own way?
How many teams have had 'not out' declared to catches carryin to 2nd slip half a dozen times before that happened ?

As per the word of McDermott, That OZ team of mid/late80s to mid 90s was by far the most uncouth team i've ever seen in any sports form. Made the Maple Leafs look civil.Probably because they had such a drive to be the best, they simply couldn't deal with the fact that they wernt the best.
So if these Aussie bowlers/players ever got some chat back at them, its probably very well deserved.
Sorry but Aussies have a reputation for being uncouth. Our university ran an article in the student paper few years back on how uncouth some Aussie visiting swimming team was at our facility. A few new Aussie blokes that showed up at our tennis club back in middle east, destroyed the whole thing by being Lleyton Hewitt type argumentative 'in-your-face' yelling type yobs. I guess due to the 'no-quarters given' attitude that embodies Aussie sports, it inevitably produces more yobs than others. On the flip side, one of the best gentleman in sports i've ever come across is Pat Rafter. Wonderful bloke.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I really couldn't care less what Gavaskar has to say about the Aussie team. Pretty much the same for all the people who like to slag off the current Aussie team. I remain convinced that 95% of it stems from frustration and jealousy. I don't accept that their behaviour is any worse than other teams, I just think it bothers people more when the Aussies do it because we always win.

I hope Sunny can come up on the stage when we win the Cup for the third time in a row, so he can have a nice close look at it before Damien Martyn (flown out especially) pushes him off the stage... :cool:

Matt79

Global Moderator
No not that I know of. A lot of my books are packed at the moment because I am moving, it is from Sunny Days. I did find some of the comments in another book though.

"When I faced Holding, I received four bouncers in an over and a beamer which Holding pretended had slipped from his hand....To call a crowd 'a crowd in Jamaica is a misnomer. It should be called a mob. The way they shrieked and howled every time Holding bowled was positively horrible... All this proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that these people still belong to the jungles and forests instead of a civilised country".
Old Sunny must be getting senile, as well as being a hypocrite... 8-)

Laurrz

International Debutant
Hmm, the Windies shoulder charged umpires and kicked stumps out of the ground. They also refused to return to the field after a tea break.

Haven't seen the Aussies do any of that

EDIT : just saw Craigs post..

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I voted no. In general, the Aussie side are a fairly decent bunch, I suppose. They are, however, guilty of overstepping the line on occasion.

If I'm not mistaken, it was Brett Lee who started the trend of needlessly throwing the ball at the batsman's stumps to make sure he's in his crease - Shane Warne also did it occasionally, which to my mind is just not on.

For a fast bowler to do that could reasonably be interpreted as an attempt to intimidate the batsman, similar to a barrage of short deliveries - for a spinner, however, it simply becomes an attempt to hit someone with a cricket ball.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I voted no. In general, the Aussie side are a fairly decent bunch, I suppose. They are, however, guilty of overstepping the line on occasion.

If I'm not mistaken, it was Brett Lee who started the trend of needlessly throwing the ball at the batsman's stumps to make sure he's in his crease - Shane Warne also did it occasionally, which to my mind is just not on.

For a fast bowler to do that could reasonably be interpreted as an attempt to intimidate the batsman, similar to a barrage of short deliveries - for a spinner, however, it simply becomes an attempt to hit someone with a cricket ball.
Nobody's taken it as far as Simon Jones IMO however...

Matt79

Global Moderator
IIRC he did it about half-a-dozen times within a fairly short period of time, so while I don't think it was on purpose, it shouldn't have been a surprise that it eventually happened. It continued after that incident as well 'til Martyn actually smacked one of those return throws into the fence to make the point that it wasn't exactly serving as a surprise anymore...

So long as they're not actually hitting the player, I don't really mind, they're all big boys, but I don't think its fair to say that its only the Aussies who do it, or even that they do it more consistently than others.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
IIRC he did it about half-a-dozen times within a fairly short period of time, so while I don't think it was on purpose, it shouldn't have been a surprise that it eventually happened. It continued after that incident as well 'til Martyn actually smacked one of those return throws into the fence to make the point that it wasn't exactly serving as a surprise anymore...

So long as they're not actually hitting the player, I don't really mind, they're all big boys, but I don't think its fair to say that its only the Aussies who do it, or even that they do it more consistently than others.
I didn't actually say it was only the Aussies who did it, TBH. All I said was Brett Lee started it, and that for a spinner to do it isn't acceptable. All teams do it, and I'm not any more in favour of them doing it than I am Australia.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I know, I guess I'm not so much having a go at your statement, as underlining my comment earlier in the thread that I think the Aussies get picked up more on things like this than other teams who often do some less than flash things themselves, but don't get labelled as jerks or whatever...

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I know, I guess I'm not so much having a go at your statement, as underlining my comment earlier in the thread that I think the Aussies get picked up more on things like this than other teams who often do some less than flash things themselves, but don't get labelled as jerks or whatever...
Yeah, that's fair enough. I think the Aussies probably do suffer from having a reputation for this sort of thing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Gavaskar's said this sort of thing a million times before, it's complete bull**** that the WIs of the 70s and 80s were more gentlemanly (as the New Zealand tour of 79\80's many incidents demonstrate) and as far as I'm concerned there's nothing new at all in his latest tirade.

Bit surprised at the revelations in that book of archie's, mind. Wouldn't have guessed that.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah, all teams have had their "characters" and their share of incidents. Roy Gilchrist is a name that springs to mind.

pup11

International Coach
He has wrote off the aussies many times in the past and he is done it again so nothing new in that.

But to say Aussies abuse their opponents and are unpopular among their opponents is utter crap.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Is this the same Gavaskar that when he got a decision he didn't like in 1981 ordered his partner off the field with him and if it wasn't for the manager they would have forfeited a Test 25 years before Inzy did? People in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I dont get this, can someone explain please ?

Are you guys saying that 'Gavaskar is wrong' and that this 'Aussie team is really a bunch of saints who are so respectful all the time to other teams' ?