• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Saqlain Mushtaq, The most under-rated ODI bowler ever?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well... I've never heard anyone's modern era where it wasn't...

My modern era is post-1970.
Right, and seeing as the first ODI took place in 1971, that does kind of negate every single thing you've said about ODIs being incomparable...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wrong game-form, don't really know what I was thinking...

Modern-era in ODIs is 1990s and 2000s.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Wrong game-form, don't really know what I was thinking...

Modern-era in ODIs is 1990s and 2000s.
I disagree. For me anything post 1999 (Aussie WC win) is modern era in ODIs. The '90s were quite different in terms of quality of pitches and bowlers. And no one team was completely dominant.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They were different in terms of quality but so were 1930 and 1931.

ODIs became recognisable (coloured clothing, field-restrictions, day\nighters abounding, etc.) in the early 90s.

As far as I'm concerned you can split it into 2 eras only.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
They were different in terms of quality but so were 1930 and 1931.

ODIs became recognisable (coloured clothing, field-restrictions, day\nighters abounding, etc.) in the early 90s.

As far as I'm concerned you can split it into 2 eras only.
I don't think you can distinguish an era based on colored clothing but rather the way the game is played.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, and I think the game is played now the same as in, say, 1992.

But the same IMO could not be said about 1992 and 1985, say.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Yeah, and I think the game is played now the same as in, say, 1992.

But the same IMO could not be said about 1992 and 1985, say.
I think we may be talking about different things here. I believe you are referring to the rules of the game, whereas I am splitting up the 90's from now based on the totals being put up and chased down and the fact that since the end of the last decade its pretty much been Australian rule. I might be wrong in saying this but IMO the mentality of the average ODI cricketer has changed somewhat in the past few years as compared to the '90s partially due to the advent of Twenty20 cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The Twenty20 effect is vastly overdone, it can't possibly have had any effect on international cricket yet. Malachy Loye is the only one to play shots designed for Twenty20 in ODIs to date, and he hasn't exactly been a rip-roaring success.

As for bigger totals, that's mostly just down to the fact that there are loads of rubbish bowlers around at the moment. It happens. Same thing's happening in Tests too. Once we get some better bowlers, totals will start coming down again.

Australian rule is just because of other teams being rubbish, too.

Such things don't, to me, mean ODI cricket in 2003 was any different to 1997.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Such things don't, to me, mean ODI cricket in 2003 was any different to 1997.
How else would you define eras then? In basketball, the 90s were somewhat defined as an era in itself due to the way Chicago dominated teams. I think defining the last few years of cricket as the Australian era wouldn't be too far off the mark. After all, some of the best moments in both forms of the game have come at the expense of the unbeatable Aussies. The 90's were different due to the fact that the teams had a lot more quality spread even amongst them and things were just so much different than ODI cricket today, and a hell of a lot less predictable.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What else was there in that post?

All I can discern is that the Australians won most stuff in the 2002-2005 period.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Even then it's not that simple. What if the wicket was a meaningless gift in the 47th over?

Given that both are death-bowlers the economy-rate comes into it even more so. Wickets matter little at the death, economy matters hugely.

Wickets aren't always especially valuable in one-day games.
Richard...you don't have to always be right. I hope you get over this insecurity about having to be right. But trust me, it makes you look the worse for it. Get over it before you get married because in those arguments - even if you are right - you won't win. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I wouldn't continue arguing if I didn't think I was right.

Come to that - I wouldn't have said what I said in the first place if I didn't think I was right.