• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Did Brian lara waste is oneday cricket talent?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've seen both do such a thing plenty - and do it far more often and keep going far more often, too... that's why both average about 8 or 9 runs more than him.

cover drive man

International Captain
Brian lara arguably is one of the top Test batsmen in history. But what about oneday cricket?. In his early career from 1990 to 1997 he served his potencial talent fully, he was averaging almost 47 at one point, but since 1997 his average in oneday matches just keeps dropping and now in 2007 its just over 40. so in the second half of his career has he wasted his talent?

Maybe it's because he's well I don't know maybe getting OLD.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
IIRC, Lara did initially open in ODIs.
He didn't debut there, but he did open the batting very early in his career. And he has an outstanding record opening the batting too, though in 6 of his last 8 attempts at opening, he has failed to reach double figures.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I've seen both do such a thing plenty - and do it far more often and keep going far more often, too... that's why both average about 8 or 9 runs more than him.
i agree with you richard!:) his one day average and his general inconsistency doesn't justify his position as an opener in any all-time xi....

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
So who else do you pick as a keeper? Or do you just want him to bat lower?
i wouldn't mind him as a one day 'keeper, lends a fair bit of middle-to-lower order big-hitting ability but he doesn't have enough performances to support a claim for opener in a world xi, in australia, an occasional burst from him was ok given their star-studded lineup but the concept of a world xi itself is to have the best players in each position and gilly just doesn't make the cut as an opener....

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Lara has sucked in ODI's for the last few years. Since his last century of 156 2 years ago hes played 40 games @ 26.51, with only 5 fifties. Thats terrible. I think its just father time. Hes been very brittle.

Viv Richards last 46 games, all after his last century. avg 27.19 with 4 fifties.

Dean Jones last 29 games @ 32.64 with 8 fifties.

C_C

International Captain
Ganguly & Anwar > Gilchrist IMO.
As opener, perhaps but Gillchrist slots in because he is quite good himself as an opener and he makes my keeping headache less. I prefer it this way than having Flower/Boucher down the order.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Lara has sucked in ODI's for the last few years. Since his last century of 156 2 years ago hes played 40 games @ 26.51, with only 5 fifties. Thats terrible. I think its just father time. Hes been very brittle.

Viv Richards last 46 games, all after his last century. avg 27.19 with 4 fifties.

Dean Jones last 29 games @ 32.64 with 8 fifties.
As opposed to him coming in down the order very often and playing more of a cameo role in the West Indies lineup? Lara hasn't had a settled position in the West Indies lineup in a long long time. It's enough to take a toll on any player.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Some of that has been self-inflicted, though...
Indeed, which goes directly against the common claim that he's selfish. He's been the one giving Dwayne Bravo, Denesh Ramdin etc. a chance to bat up the order at his expense. It's certainly not to preserve his batting average.