• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Colllingwood - One of the best ODI hundreds ever ?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The best I've ever seen was Tendulkar's one at Sharjah, where he hit that straight six, like a lofted straight drive, perfection.
Not saying they never have great innings (if they didn't they wouldn't become so good in the first place) but when they hit a century or take a five wicket haul its automatically amplified more than it probably should, at least compared to when a more average player does it.

Collingwood is not a superstar, but that fact is offset by the more important fact of an Englishman rarely having such an innings (like Sreesanth in SA for India). If Sreesanth was from any other country, it would have been a 'good series' and he needs to 'be more consistent every spell', instead of 'it is the second coming of Jesus Christ'.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I agree somewhat. I wonder what it would be like if KP was Bangladeshi.
I think if he were, he is smart enough to change his game up and play the achor role. He wouldn't turn into Kallis or what have you, but he wouldn't be as flamboyant with his shots. He actually had a great S/R in the Ashes, and his overall S/R would probably be around 48-50 if he were Bangladeshi.

I think more than his talent (which is overrated :ph34r:, unlike Cook's), Bangaldesh need his confidence and attitude. He'd be worth his place in any side bar Australia if he can rub some of that ****iness off on others (Australia already have it).

open365

International Vice-Captain
It was great no doubt, but i think to be in the really high places of great ODI centuries you need to have scored closer to a run a ball to qualify.

Not to dis-respect Collingwood as that knock was absolutely top notch but i'm not sure if it's in the top 5, maybe top 10. And don't ask me to find example of better ones because A)I probably couldn't find that many and B)Be arsed?

I'm saying that considering there have been 2000+ ODI matches and that his innings was probably not in the best 5 ever played.

But more to the point, how amazing was it, let's have some more appreciation and less pedantacism.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Not saying they never have great innings (if they didn't they wouldn't become so good in the first place) but when they hit a century or take a five wicket haul its automatically amplified more than it probably should, at least compared to when a more average player does it.
Not Really. Tendulkar has 40 centuries now and not many do we really consider as all time great, same goes for guys like Ganguly, Anwar etc.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Nah disagree. It might be amplified more by some of the more 'enthusiastic' fans, but if you look at the cricketing press or the opinions in most other countries, the feats of those on the subcontinent are denigrated and belittled on a regular basis. It's all about 'flat pitches', 'tiny grounds', 'doctored pitches', 'home advantage' etc etc.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah disagree. It might be amplified more by some of the more 'enthusiastic' fans, but if you look at the cricketing press or the opinions in most other countries, the feats of those on the subcontinent are denigrated and belittled on a regular basis. It's all about 'flat pitches', 'tiny grounds', 'doctored pitches', 'home advantage' etc etc.
But how many of those who have been accused on here of late are actually guilty?

The "doctored pitches" line referring to pitches in the subcontinent is one of the things that annoys me more than anything.