• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Colllingwood - One of the best ODI hundreds ever ?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Did the thread initiator talk about Cnturies by Englishmen only ?
No. Your point?
Anyways Did you watch KP's inning against australia in summer 2005 ? At some point England needed to score @7-8 runs an over with 6 batsmen back in pavilion ?
Yes, I did. It was magnificent. It was also 91*.

R_D

International Debutant
No. Your point?Yes, I did. It was magnificent. It was also 91*.
Point being ? it doesn't have to be a century to be considered good innings.
Just in case you misunderstood, you asked for a better innings played by englishman and Sanz pointed out KP innings.. of course if you don't consider him to be englishman than thats a different issue ;)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Point being ? it doesn't have to be a century to be considered good innings.
Just in case you misunderstood, you asked for a better innings played by englishman and Sanz pointed out KP innings.. of course if you don't consider him to be englishman than thats a different issue ;)
Course not... I may not have been totally clear, but I was thinking about better centuries by an Englishman. Which disqualifies a 91*!

R_D

International Debutant
Course not... I may not have been totally clear, but I was thinking about better centuries by an Englishman. Which disqualifies a 91*!

Kind of getting petty but thats not what you said... you said tell me a better innings by an englishman not a century.

edit- i didn't read your full comments from previous post so you can skip this post :p

Last edited:

sridhar1

Cricket Spectator
one of the greatest hundreds

hi, I from india.Paul collingood's innings is a mega innings and an epic innings.I think his hundred is as good as graham gooche's 139 no against west Indies,then the world's best team.He batted till the end with determination and concentration.I think England can win the world cup in 2007.It will be a great achievement for michael vaughn.He is great captain.I am supporting England this time.I hope to meet him at sometime.I stay in hyderabad and India's great batsman v.v.s Laxman has not been seleceted for the world cup this time because of politics and conspiracies of Indian cricket board.Things are gong downhill in India and India may be the worst team in the world soon.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
No. Your point?.
Point is - the thread was about Best Ever Centuries, so for you to ask me to name a better century by an englishman is rather pointless and irrelevant to the topic of this thread.

I wanted to assume that you were talking about innings by Englishmen only, but then you mentioned Richards 189 as the best one and that Collingwood's effort being up there.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Point is - the thread was about Best Ever Centuries, so for you to ask me to name a better century by an englishman is rather pointless and irrelevant to the topic of this thread.

I wanted to assume that you were talking about innings by Englishmen only, but then you mentioned Richards 189 as the best one and that Collingwood's effort being up there.
Are you Richard in disguise??

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator

So why say "Here an English man has made a match winning century and it is being touted as best ever" then?

"Right up there" is top 10, top 20 - and seeing as between us we've managed one English innings to match it...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
So why say "Here an English man has made a match winning century and it is being touted as best ever" then?.
Was that part of my initial post ? Wait wasn't that a response to Richard's idiotic post ?

In any case would you have said the same thing If Mahendra Singh Dhoni had played that inning instead of Paul Collingwood. No, your response would have been exactly like it was in the other thread.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Was that part of my initial post ? Wait wasn't that a response to Richard's idiotic post ?

In any case would you have said the same thing If Mahendra Singh Dhoni had played that inning instead of Paul Collingwood. No, your response would have been exactly like it was in the other thread.
That's because subcontinental players are all worse than English players.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
That's because subcontinental players are all worse than English players.
True.

Personally, it was a great innings, but it wouldn't make my list of ten best ODI centuries of all time. It might be in the top three (maybe even first) in terms of innings by an Englishman, but I think it is perhaps over hyped by the fact that its quite rare to see an Englishman making an innings like this.

Had Gibbs, or someone like that made this same exact innings, I would almost guarantee this thread wouldn't exist.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Part of Collingwood's appeal, is that he isn't actually very talented at batting (compared to other people). He just applies himself, and uses everything that he has, and gets rewarded, people like that.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Part of Collingwood's appeal, is that he isn't actually very talented at batting (compared to other people). He just applies himself, and uses everything that he has, and gets rewarded, people like that.
No doubt, but popularity aside, on its merit, I don't see it making top ten all time ODI centuries. I wouldn't put Collingwood in this category, but most marquee stars have had their innings overrated (Tendulkar, Warne, etc).

PhoenixFire

International Coach
No doubt, but popularity aside, on its merit, I don't see it making top ten all time ODI centuries. I wouldn't put Collingwood in this category, but most marquee stars have had their innings overrated (Tendulkar, Warne, etc).
The best I've ever seen was Tendulkar's one at Sharjah, where he hit that straight six, like a lofted straight drive, perfection.