• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bad Boy Afridi

Speersy

U19 Cricketer
To me it looked like he was actually trying to hit him. I think the ICC will see it that way aswell.

no1_gangsta_786

U19 Cricketer
I think a lenghty ban of more than 2/3 ODIs would be quite harsh for that. Maybe 3 ODI ban and match fee taken would be enough.

haroon510

International 12th Man
8 matches ban is kind of harsh. Gibbs i think got away easily cuz there is a similerity in both of these incidents if they were to give afridi 8 matches ban.

pasag

RTDAS
Ridiculous.. Its like punishments are essentially mirrored to what they should be... I don't like Afridi (after his dancing on the pitch), but he surely cant cop a ban for this..
Yeah agree, anything more than a fine would be too harsh.

Beleg

International Regular
I agree with the six-eight-ten match ban people. This is disgraceful. What is even more disgraceful is the inactivity of the stewards.

deeps

International 12th Man
You have got to be kidding.

4 ODI's for that??? and Gibbs makes a remark and gets less?

It's not liek Afridi actually hit the guy, or took a massive swing either. If he wanted to connect, he would have.

Yeh, he shouldn't be doing things like that, however after the Gibbs incident, it seems that the South African crowds can't control themselves.

Basically, spectators shouldn't get away with calling the players names, insulting them or whatever. Cricket Australia has REALLY clamped down on this problem this season.

The South African board should look into it, if players keep getting bothered by the crowd.

Remember, these are two experienced campaigners in Afridi and Gibbs.

I think this deserves a one or two ODI ban and a fine.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's hardly like experience is going to make a difference to people like Gibbs and Afridi - they're just naturally careless people. I laughed more than ever when someone said "experience" and "Tufnell" in the same breath, because to some it just doesn't make a difference, they'll always be the way they are.

deeps

International 12th Man
Believe it or not, experience effects everyone in life in some way.

Sure, gibbs and Afridi may not have been effected by it as much as others, but it still makes a difference

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What I meant was if you think it'll make a big difference on their overall behaviour in matters such as this.

IMO it won't make them any less faux-pas-prone.

Has experience made a difference to you?

deeps

International 12th Man
Yeh, go back 4 years..

Date of that post: 8 november 2003

The insults have stopped haven't they ;)

Experience speaks in volumes

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You have got to be kidding.

4 ODI's for that??? and Gibbs makes a remark and gets less?

It's not liek Afridi actually hit the guy, or took a massive swing either. If he wanted to connect, he would have.

Yeh, he shouldn't be doing things like that, however after the Gibbs incident, it seems that the South African crowds can't control themselves.

Basically, spectators shouldn't get away with calling the players names, insulting them or whatever. Cricket Australia has REALLY clamped down on this problem this season.

The South African board should look into it, if players keep getting bothered by the crowd.

Remember, these are two experienced campaigners in Afridi and Gibbs.

I think this deserves a one or two ODI ban and a fine.

Gibbs' ban was the equivalent of 4 ODIs, which was the minimum for a level 3 offense - the level which Afridi's offense is (and Gibbs' offense). Flicking your bat at a spectator in full view is worse than a stupid throwaway remark picked up by a stump mike. Afridi should clearly get a more severe punishment than Gibbs. As for whether the actual rules and punishments set out in those rules are right in the first place is obviously open to debate.

deeps

International 12th Man
He swung his bat, without intent to hit.

It's wrong, but really, having watched the incident, it's not that big a deal imo.. deserves 1-2 ODI's and that's it

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It might be a common attempted-insult (is exactly the same here, and probably everywhere that speaks English) but it's certainly, as Rik showed, no actual insult at all.

And I was 16 at a time, too - I never purveyed such attitudes.

deeps

International 12th Man
wow aren't you special. I bow down to you.

I don't use it anymore as an insult, and nor do i think there's anything wrong with it.

As i said, it was and still is a common insult, and so yeh, it was used.. At the time, i was naive.

I don't see what that has to do with anything considering through experience, it hasn't been used agian.