• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Sachin Tendulkar retire from International Cricket?

Should Sachin Tendulkar retire from International Cricket?

• YES

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • NO

Votes: 47 81.0%

• Total voters

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Whilst the likes of an average club cricketer (at best) like Paul Collingwood continuing to "grace" the international arena, why on Earth should Tendulkar consider giving up?
OK fine. I admit it.

Dizzy is a world class test bastman afterall then.
Then neither are England. Considering Bangladesh have actually come close to winning one out of two recent tests against Australia, as opposed to getting hammered in all five.
By some kind of similar logic I guess we should grant Somerset one-day status then?

Richard's link somes it up for me...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
There's also the point that who else is there that is a better test batsman than SRT at the moment?
In the world? Probably at least 10 or so batsmen. In India there's probably only Dravid, though obviously Laxman and so on haven't been back in the team long enough to judge yet.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He clearly meant in India, and I think that's the major point. If Sachin only averages say 42- 45 for another 2-3 years, he may not be the force he used to be but he's still good enough to be in India's top 6 test batsman.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
He clearly meant in India, and I think that's the major point. If Sachin only averages say 42- 45 for another 2-3 years, he may not be the force he used to be but he's still good enough to be in India's top 6 test batsman.
Yep, no argument there. Something like Steve Waugh after 2001 or so. If he drops below 40 for an extended period, that's when his place should come under question.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
There's also the point that who else is there that is a better test batsman than SRT at the moment?
At the moment there are atleast 50(if not more) test batsmen in the world that are batting better than him.

If your are talking about only Indian batsmen then how about Ganguly, Jaffer, Laxman, Kaif, Dravid, Pathan, Dhoni, Yuvraj and even Sehwag.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Which is why England is such a huge tour for him. Presently his streak is 16 matches (since his 248* v Bangladesh) and an average of 34.37 in that time. He has a lot of work to do in England if he is to meet your requirements.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Yep, no argument there. Something like Steve Waugh after 2001 or so. If he drops below 40 for an extended period, that's when his place should come under question.
Sachin Tendulkar is averaging 30.5 in his last 20 matches(not including BD), SR Waugh was 43.6. Hardly comparable with SRW's post 2001 performance.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
To tell you the truth, I wouldn't mind Tendulkar, Laxman and Ganguly all going away around England tour. Get some young blood in there.

Nishant

International 12th Man
i think its silly to talk about a great like tendulkar retiring because he is no longer good! Tendulkar is not that bad and it would only take one century for a lot of people to say that he is getting back o his best. He is valuable in the side...with his batting, his input in terms of tactics, and his bowling! U cant just ask him to retire or do a 'ganguly' on him!

Dravid had been playing badly lately as well. So should he retire as well? Tendulakar was a slo the best batsman of th 2003 WC! So how can we say that he has done crap all this century?

This might should cliched...but....he'll be back!

Dravid

International Captain
i think its silly to talk about a great like tendulkar retiring because he is no longer good! Tendulkar is not that bad and it would only take one century for a lot of people to say that he is getting back o his best. He is valuable in the side...with his batting, his input in terms of tactics, and his bowling! U cant just ask him to retire or do a 'ganguly' on him!

Dravid had been playing badly lately as well. So should he retire as well? Tendulakar was a slo the best batsman of th 2003 WC! So how can we say that he has done crap all this century?

Dravid had over a 1000 test runs in the season. What are you talking about?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member

Ummm..Wasn't 2003 WC four years ago ? And no Tendulkar is not Good anymore, he is below average in Tests. You are right on one count though - the moment he scores one decent score..his fans will jump up and down with chants like 'He is back'...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Based on performances in the past couple years, I don't think you can come to any conclusion except that he is no longer a good test player.

Like I said, England is his last shot. Perform, or be dropped.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dravid had been playing badly lately as well. So should he retire as well?
Dravid's last 15 Tests:

1280 runs @ 55.65 with 3 tons and 8 fifties.

Tendulkar's last 15 Tests:

789 runs @ 34.30 with 1 ton and 5 fifties.

Dravid in 2006:

12 Tests; 1095 runs @ 60.83; 7 fifties, 3 hundreds.

Tendulkar in 2006:

8 Tests; 267 runs @ 24.27; 1 fifty, 0 hundreds.

Not quite the same, eh?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
To tell you the truth, I wouldn't mind Tendulkar, Laxman and Ganguly all going away around England tour. Get some young blood in there.
What if they score a mountain a la 2002 and have the prospect of going to Australia to show-up the latest Australian recruits as woefully substandard?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sachin Tendulkar is averaging 30.5 in his last 20 matches(not including BD), SR Waugh was 43.6. Hardly comparable with SRW's post 2001 performance.
Err - Waugh averaged 39.57 in his last 20 Tests (post-2001) and Tendulkar has averaged 35.04 in his last 16.

Not much difference, I'd say...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Err - Waugh averaged 39.57 in his last 20 Tests (post-2001) and Tendulkar has averaged 35.04 in his last 16.

Not much difference, I'd say...
except that he was a much better batsman than waugh in his prime so his decline is much more marked....whether he decides to retire or not, his position should be considered just as on merit as other positions in the team...it hurts an already fragile team when one player can get away with such a long stretch of bad form, the team did the right thing by dumping ganguly and recently sehwag when they weren't doing well, they should be strong and do the same with sachin....if he can play himself back into form in domestic cricket, indian cricket will be the better for it....

tooextracool

International Coach
Its not really a case about averages. A player should only retire when he feels that he offers nothing to the team and the team doesnt need him. Pollocks bowling may have declined significantly but there is no question that his accuracy is still as good as it ever was and just by keeping one end tight he offers as much to the SA team as anyone else(although recently hes been making a case for the side for his batting alone).
As far as should Tendulkar retire from international cricket is concerned, i firmly believe he has nothing to offer India in test match cricket anymore. He doesnt open the batting and fill the much needed openers slot, and at no 4 hes taking up a very valuable batting position which most young players like to bat at. His record in recent times is very very poor and i think hed be doing his own career a favor by bowing out. The last time tendulkar had a successful away series was all the way back in England in 02. I feel that he is still an excellent ODI batsmen but is quite clearly past it in tests.