• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wasim Akram

Beleg

International Regular
I was just watching some of the balls he bowled on youtube and I can't believe the amount of swing he got. Some of the out-swingers he bowled must have been nigh on unplayable.

Anyway, this is a thread for all Wasim Akram fans. He might not have the best strike-rate or the best average in world cricket, but he's a bowler that made you look up and actually watch the proceedings with interest - a true superstar.

Not to mention his action. Just unbelievable.

Fusion

Global Moderator
My favorite bowler to watch ever. He gave us some awsome memories. As long as he was in the team, you always felt like there's a shot for a win, no matter how ridiculous a total we were defending (and there were plenty of those to defend).

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I was just watching some of the balls he bowled on youtube and I can't believe the amount of swing he got. Some of the out-swingers he bowled must have been nigh on unplayable.

Anyway, this is a thread for all Wasim Akram fans. He might not have the best strike-rate or the best average in world cricket, but he's a bowler that made you look up and actually watch the proceedings with interest - a true superstar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrWJ5WOwHmA ?

Rameez Raja - "yeah, their is a definite noise", LOL.

Last edited:

godofcricket

State 12th Man
Well as u can tell from my signature, i havent got a more favourite bowler than wasim. He was truely remarkable of what he could do with the ball, his outswing, inswing, reverse swing, yorkers and more over with soo much accuracy you couldnt find a bowler with soo much to offer, i cant even imagine what it would be like for a batsman facing him, as every delivery he bowled was different. A true legend :cool:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

About the only bowler with so many imperfections to make the transition to "reliable" for mine.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Gun thread.

Wasim was by and far the most versatile and explosive bowler I've ever seen. And he kept on bowling despite the match fixing allegations and injuries. Not sure how many people know about this, but I sure didn't until after he retired:

The brunt of Akram's cricket has been borne by his groin and shoulder. His groin was first operated on in 1988 and again two years later. The latter operation was complicated when an adductor muscle separated from his pelvis, leaving his left leg only half as strong as his right: it was restored only by intensive physiotherapy.

He first experienced shoulder pain seven years ago, while representing Lancashire, and delayed surgery, only to break down when he tried to bowl a bouncer during the Singer Cup Final in Sharjah in April 1997: there were further operations, a six-month lay-off and a regime of painkillers. Add to this, severe diabetes and fading eye sight. And still he continued till 2003 and stayed among the top few bowlers all through. Nothing short of a medical miracle- Is it?
Full article

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard,

Can you expand on that post?
Yeah.

Bowled no-balls, sometimes by the truckload, had spells where he completely lost it, occasionally struggled to control the new-ball (which was one of the reasons why he became known for bowling short with the new-ball so often), could be volatile of occasions, was often a troubled captain, almost certainly broke the rules to get the ball into the desired condition of times (like most bowlers with any sense, I add).

You see?

And yet he still became one of the best ODI opening bowlers of all-time, and still was far, far more reliable than Waqar throughout his Test career. Not to mention being near enough unrivalled as a death-bowler in ODIs. And he achieved longevity that Waqar and, to a lesser extent, his mentor Imran, could only dream of.

I often wonder whether Wasim would have been a better or worse bowler without those imperfections - perhaps it was all an inevitable part of the package, and perhaps without some of the stuff which caused said imperfections he'd not have had the wondrous talents he did.

And (PLEASE DON'T TAKE THIS THE WRONG WAY ANYONE, IT'S AS LEGITIMATE AS THE "HOW WOULD BRADMAN HAVE DONE IN THE 2000s DEBATE) I do occasionally wonder what his record would read like were the sensible no-ball ruling to have been brought in in, say, 1970, instead of 1999, and instead of the nonsensical ruling we had previously.

haroon510

International 12th Man
one of my most fivrate bowlers of all time. he was kept geting better with time. some one has said about his averge that it ins't good. i belive average of 23 in both form of the games are pretty impersive despite all the conterversies that srounded his career.

Fiery

Banned
one of my most fivrate bowlers of all time. he was kept geting better with time. some one has said about his averge that it ins't good. i belive average of 23 in both form of the games are pretty impersive despite all the conterversies that srounded his career.
I don't mean to offend you, as English is probably not your first language, but try using a spell-check or dictionary mate. There are plenty of them online. It would make it easier for us to read and understand your posts. I don't mind the odd spelling error but some of your efforts are a bit lazy tbh. I agree that Wassie's bowling averages are excellent so not sure why Beleg said that either.

Last edited: