• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is the teesra?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Top spinner != arm ball, either.
Well obviously not, but isn't the arm ball the fingerspinner's equivalent in that both go straight on. Just highlighting that bit because I'm not getting into details of bounce and pace. Regarding the way that the ball moves/spins, doesn't the topspinner do the same as the arm ball? Given that the initial discussion was about the ball moving into offstump, away from offstump or going straight on...

Granted, the arm ball goes straight on with the arm, but still...

The literal wristspinner's equivalent of the fingerspinner's arm ball would be the slider, wouldn't it?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Most true. And I thought most of the regular members on this board were knowledgable about cricket... :dry:
Regarding your original point though, a wrist spinner is not about to bowl an armball. And a fingerspinner is not about to bowl a topspinner, so it doesn't really have any bearing on Richard's suggestion about the way the ball moves/spins.

Obviously, a bowler can only make the ball do 3 things (neglecting reverse swing) and that's to send it away from offstump, into offstump or go straight on. However, there are different variations of delivery to achieve those basic goals - bounce, pace, swing etc. It doesn't change the fact that ball can only go 3 ways really.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Since when can't a finger-spinner bowl a top-spinner?
Right. A topspinner actually is a fingerspun delivery.
Can't really justify that one tbh. Except that it's 3:52am. :(

But you know what I mean! Read the rest of the post. It makes sense eventually... I think.

vicky

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well obviously not, but isn't the arm ball the fingerspinner's equivalent in that both go straight on. Just highlighting that bit because I'm not getting into details of bounce and pace. Regarding the way that the ball moves/spins, doesn't the topspinner do the same as the arm ball? Given that the initial discussion was about the ball moving into offstump, away from offstump or going straight on...

Granted, the arm ball goes straight on with the arm, but still...

The literal wristspinner's equivalent of the fingerspinner's arm ball would be the slider, wouldn't it?
they may both go straight on but they are not the same by a long shot... in the same way that a fast bowler's slower ball may go straight on as may his quicker ball...

the best equivalence is probably armball = flipper/slider; both finger and wrist spinners can bowl the topspinner...

The point u seem to be missing is that while it may not affect the lateral movement of the ball the bounce and pace of the ball can be equally important. A topspinner for example is designed to bounce and kick of the wicket looking for the sholder of the bat or a glove. If the teesra is a "backspinner" then you would expect it to bounce less and maybe hold up off the pitch drawing a false stroke or a leading edge.

Mr Mxyzptlk

The point u seem to be missing is that while it may not affect the lateral movement of the ball the bounce and pace of the ball can be equally important.
I'm not missing it:

Me said:
Obviously, a bowler can only make the ball do 3 things (neglecting reverse swing) and that's to send it away from offstump, into offstump or go straight on. However, there are different variations of delivery to achieve those basic goals - bounce, pace, swing etc. It doesn't change the fact that ball can only go 3 ways really.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
dont know if its been said and dont care but it could a double bouncer that spins the opposite direction of the 1st bounce

vicky

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'm not missing it:
Sorry I missed that.

I was refferring more to this

Regarding your original point though, a wrist spinner is not about to bowl an armball. And a fingerspinner is not about to bowl a topspinner, so it doesn't really have any bearing on Richard's suggestion about the way the ball moves/spins.

My point being that there is more to a straight delivery than just lateral movement (hell when i play on synthetic the ball barely ever goes off the straight and then its all about bounce, flight and pace.)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Sorry I missed that.

I was refferring more to this

My point being that there is more to a straight delivery than just lateral movement (hell when i play on synthetic the ball barely ever goes off the straight and then its all about bounce, flight and pace.)
Yea, but I think Richard was originally arguing on behalf of making the ball go different ways and stating that you can only make a ball go in one of 3 directions.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I've been mucking around with a "backspinner" of sorts, and when I've bothered to put proper work into it and land it regularly, it can be rather potent. Sometimes it'll swing away from the right hander, while often it hits the seam and moves a bit, as well as skidding off the surface a bit quicker than you expect. However, never had enough confidence in it to bowl it in a game. And as I've not continued working on it as hard as I should've, it's only about a 40% strike rate of landing it in a decent area.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
You've not noticed (no analysis required) that most people on here seem to be possessed of the misguided impression that I have no humour?
I will avoid commenting on your posts in the future completely. No use wasting my time.

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I've been mucking around with a "backspinner" of sorts, and when I've bothered to put proper work into it and land it regularly, it can be rather potent. Sometimes it'll swing away from the right hander, while often it hits the seam and moves a bit, as well as skidding off the surface a bit quicker than you expect. However, never had enough confidence in it to bowl it in a game. And as I've not continued working on it as hard as I should've, it's only about a 40% strike rate of landing it in a decent area.
That sounds pretty impressive. How's it bowled?