• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is the teesra?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Doesn't even make any sense. Doosra is one that goes the other way. Teesra is one that goes straight? We already have a name for that. Or does it spin both ways in one delivery?

I have to agree with tooextracool, its just a way to get a look in from the selectors.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jack Iverson made one particularly impressive observation at one time...

"The ball can do three things - break to the off, break to the leg, or go straight on. It can't disappear or explode."

Saqlain would perhaps do well to remember that. He already bowls a straight-on ball, in addition to his Off-Break and Doosra.

Thinking-up clever names for deliveries using Urdu\Hindi language (the Doosra had in fact been around for 30-odd years pre-Saqlain, Eripalli Prasanna was probably the first to bowl it, it's just Saqlain and Moin were the first to give it a name) isn't particularly impressive any more.

Nonetheless, I cannot fail to be surprised that Arshad Khan was not-so-long-ago picked ahead of Saqlain.

gunner

U19 Cricketer
the teesra was a delivery saqlain was developing when he got injured

hopefully he still remembers about it and he will come back
he wouldnt tell anyone what it is

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Thinking-up clever names for deliveries using Urdu\Hindi language (the Doosra had in fact been around for 30-odd years pre-Saqlain, Eripalli Prasanna was probably the first to bowl it, it's just Saqlain and Moin were the first to give it a name) isn't particularly impressive any more.
Doosra and teesra, 'the second one' and the 'third one' is not particularly clever. :p It may sound exotic because it is in a foreign language to a lot but when I first heard it, I just thought 'WTF?'

It's like saying "So what about that majestic #5 by Warne that got Gatting out in the Ashes?" The naming system is quite stupid IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As I say - once you've got three deliveries that do everything it's possible for a cricket-ball to do, you can't develop anything else.

gunner

U19 Cricketer
maybe it rolls along the ground?

maybe hes waiting for the world cup final and pakistan have to defend a score and brings out the teesra for the first time ever?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Doosra means the other one.

Teesra means the third one when translated. Also, for what it actually does, from Wikipedia -

Nobody knows, bar him what it does yet, but he is planning to test it out whilst playing county cricket for English team Surrey during 2006.

I doubt if it would be any rocket science though.

haroon510

International 12th Man
i have no clue what teasra is. considering the " dosra" teasra should means stright but we have seen Kumbli balling stright deliveris and geting important wickets with it.
kunaria is a waste. i never liked him from the day first. he is in his best against bangladish only. i can't believe the pakistani selectors pick him over mushtaq and saqlian.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
i have no clue what teasra is. considering the " dosra" teasra should means stright but we have seen Kumbli balling stright deliveris and geting important wickets with it.
kunaria is a waste. i never liked him from the day first. he is in his best against bangladish only. i can't believe the pakistani selectors pick him over mushtaq and saqlian.
A record for most names butchered within one post?