• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why do cricketers have rubbish nicknames?

Craig

World Traveller
Well they are.

"Warney", Pidge", Simmo", "Haydos", "Colly", "Flem", "Nath", "Punter", "JL", "Kat" etc. are all rubbish nicknames. Why can't be people actually come up with something better, like Mark Waugh's nickname - Afgan, as in Afganistan, the forgotten Waugh (War).

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Because they're just nicknames? Not sure what the point of this thread is really.

Incidentally, "pidge" isn't as straightforward as the others, and Warne's got other nicknames. The rest of them are just plays on their names really. Not sure what else you'd expect, it's basically the same nickname process you get for players in every sport.

Craig

World Traveller
FaaipDeOiad said:
Because they're just nicknames? Not sure what the point of this thread is really.

Incidentally, "pidge" isn't as straightforward as the others, and Warne's got other nicknames. The rest of them are just plays on their names really. Not sure what else you'd expect, it's basically the same nickname process you get for players in every sport.
Geez I feel like a bloody rant.

And you of all people now how much I like them.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
Geez I feel like a bloody rant.

And you of all people now how much I like them.
Haha fair enough. I just don't see it as big news that most nicknames are pretty uninteresting. The funniest one tonight was "Truck". Completely random.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
Haha fair enough. I just don't see it as big news that most nicknames are pretty uninteresting. The funniest one tonight was "Truck". Completely random.
I had a chuckle at "X" - a bit of a joke at the expense of the length of Crosthwaite's name.

Matt79

Global Moderator
There are some more interesting ones - Sarfraz for Clark, Catfish for Hopes, Dog-scratch for Katich, "Bing" Lee, hell even Fred for Flintoff and Punter for Ponting...

Maybe we should start a comp to come up with decent nicknames for players. Jaques is the likely next addition to the Australian team - does he have a nickname already, or otherwise, can we suggest something?

Maybe "Nosey"... a play on "No C" as in correcting the common misspelling of his surname?

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
There are some more interesting ones - Sarfraz for Clark, Catfish for Hopes, Dog-scratch for Katich, "Bing" Lee, hell even Fred for Flintoff and Punter for Ponting...

Maybe we should start a comp to come up with decent nicknames for players. Jaques is the likely next addition to the Australian team - does he have a nickname already, or otherwise, can we suggest something?

Maybe "Nosey"... a play on "No C" as in correcting the common misspelling of his surname?
Well if we are going to lengths to come up with a nickname. Starting from your point. How about Arthur for Jaques?

Using Nosey from above, then Nosey the nickname of the Duke of Wellington (Waterloo and all that) and his real name was Arthur.

Just a thought, feel free to ignore me :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Hattie? After the beloved battleaxe famous for the Carry On films. The obvious one for anyone with that surname.

Dravid

International Captain
NBA has the best nicknames. I wish Cricket had some like "The Answer" "Mr. Big Shot"

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
NBA has the best nicknames. I wish Cricket had some like "The Answer" "Mr. Big Shot"
NBA nicknames are terrible. Juvenile and aimed at confused teenagers. Weak really

EDIT- In fairness, though, they are not at AND1 lows

Last edited:

Dravid

International Captain
NBA nicknames are terrible. Juvenile and aimed at confused teenagers. Weak really
Erm, no they aren't. They make sense. Allen Iverson is named the Answer because he is the answer to any game that the teams down, much like Dravid. If NBA names were given to cricketers, "Answer" would given to Dravid, or Kumble. Because they are answers to saving a team. Mr. Big Shot is another sensible name because Chauncey Billups is known for making big shots out of no where. They are good and they do make sense.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Erm, no they aren't. They make sense. Allen Iverson is named the Answer because he is the answer to any game that the teams down, much like Dravid. If NBA names were given to cricketers, "Answer" would given to Dravid, or Kumble. Because they are answers to saving a team. Mr. Big Shot is another sensible name because Chauncey Billups is known for making big shots out of no where. They are good and they do make sense.
No, again they are juvenile and they are trying far to hard with the nicknames. I cant think as anything so weak as contrived and designed nicknames with the aim to add 'flava'

Dravid

International Captain
No, again they are juvenile and they are trying far to hard with the nicknames. I cant think as anything so weak as contrived and designed nicknames with the aim to add 'flava'
It's better than nicknames like Mr.Cricket Punter Warney Haydos Simmos and so on tbh

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It's better than nicknames like Mr.Cricket Punter Warney Haydos Simmos and so on tbh
Well Mr Cricket is weak, but I dont see how thats any different to Mr. Big Shot that you just praised.

The others are just natural nicknames evolved from own names. Its safe to say that these names are not designed for 'street' reasons or designed by marketing execs for a corporate advertising campaign like many in the NBA are.