• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

# 6 for 1946-2006 World Test XI

# 6 for 1946-2005 world Test XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Not against Bradman/Hammond/Hobbs, he doesn't. Which by the way, is the side that they will be going up against.

I'm sure they'd be really sweating about facing Imran as well.:laugh:

Fusion

Global Moderator
Lillian Thomson said:
I'm sure they'd be really sweating about facing Imran as well.:laugh:
I don't know if those blokes would be sweating anyone, but Imran would be no pushover either. Considered by many to be a top 10 or 15 pacer of all time. At his peak, capable of giving a dominant performance. I fail to see why you would find the notion of Imran having success against them so funny.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Fusion said:
I don't know if those blokes would be sweating anyone, but Imran would be no pushover either. Considered by many to be a top 10 or 15 pacer of all time. At his peak, capable of giving a dominant performance. I fail to see why you would find the notion of Imran having success against them so funny.
Because he is unable to realize how dominant and impressive Imran was at his peak, and in fact for most of his career when he bowled. Especially impressive considering the pitches he played on.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I watched probably 50 hours of old videos of Lillee last weekend and I am man enough to admit when I am wrong, and admit that Lillee was a better bowler than I personally gave him credit for. Hopefully, some others can do the same.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
I watched probably 50 hours of old videos of Lillee last weekend and I am man enough to admit when I am wrong, and admit that Lillee was a better bowler than I personally gave him credit for. Hopefully, some others can do the same.

No need, I don't form rash uneducated opinions of people I haven't seen in the flesh. I've seen Lillee...........and Imran.:cool:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Lillian Thomson said:
No need, I don't form rash uneducated opinions of people I haven't seen in the flesh. I've seen Lillee...........and Imran.:cool:
To be honest, I saw plenty of Lillee. But that was when I was younger, in my teens, and did not have the knowledge that I do now. I thought it fair to give another look, and I always admit when I am wrong.

As for seeing in the flesh, I haven't seen anyone pre-1995 or so in the flesh. I'm sure you haven't seen Bradman either...does that mean you can never form opinions about him?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
I'm sure you haven't seen Bradman either...does that mean you can never form opinions about him?

No, but I wouldn't attempt to discredit the opinions of people who did see him.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
And I never did that either. I said he was top ten bowler all time, before.

Actually in the Ranking the Bowlers thread you said the list lost credibility when Lillee appeared and I quote "Actually it lost credibility when Lillee got in front of some quality bowlers that should have been there."
Hardly suggests you considered Lillee to be in the top 10 when he appeared at number 8 at the expense of all these so called quality bowlers.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Lillian Thomson said:
Actually in the Ranking the Bowlers thread you said the list lost credibility when Lillee appeared and I quote "Actually it lost credibility when Lillee got in front of some quality bowlers that should have been there."
Hardly suggests you considered Lillee to be in the top 10 when he appeared at number 8 at the expense of all these so called quality bowlers.
That comment was made in jest in response to comments saying the list had lost credibility, when it clearly hadn't.

I said he was a great bowler, and here is where I list him at #8 all time.

In fact, I've repeatedly called Lillee awesome, and fantastic. The only disparaging comments I make about Lillee are when he is compared with others whom I consider to be ahead (Marshall, McGrath, Ambrose, etc).

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
That comment was made in a half jesting manner.
I said he was a great bowler, and here is where I list him at #8 all time.

In fact, I've repeatedly called Lillee awesome, and fantastic. The only disparaging comments I make about Lillee are when he is compared with others whom I consider to be ahead (Marshall, Lillee).

No good trying to claim you were joking. You've now said you consider Marshall and Lillee to be ahead of Lillee.:laugh:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Lillian Thomson said:
No good trying to claim you were joking.
My opinions are a matter of record, I referenced posts where I listed him at #8 all time. Aside from that, you can believe what you wish. If you want to believe that I think he's a crap bowler, then you're welcome to that opinion. Doesn't matter to me, but that list I posted above is pretty much how I would rank them today, with maybe 1-2 changes.

Lillee would be rated ahead of Garner on that list, where I previously said he might not be...but I never put him outside the top ten.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
My opinions are a matter of record, I referenced posts where I listed him at #8 all time. Aside from that, you can believe what you wish. If you want to believe that I think he's a crap bowler, then you're welcome to that opinion. Doesn't matter to me, but that list I posted above is pretty much how I would rank them today, with maybe 1-2 changes.

Those posts are only three weeks old, before that you were even voting the likes of Joel Garner ahead of him.

And someone has voted for Ricky Ponting in this poll.:mellow:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Lillian Thomson said:
Those posts are only three weeks old, before that you were even voting the likes of Joel Garner ahead of him.
You say 'even' like its not close. Which is simply wrong.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And this was my opinion two months ago:

Well, I'm certainly not dismissing Lillee. He deserves to be up there. All I'm saying is that, compared to other greats, like Marshall, Garner, Hadlee, Imran, etc, Lillee did not perform as well in the subcontinent.

Does that mean he couldn't have if he had gotten more chances? No, he certainly could have done what the others did. But he didn't, and it may be unfortunate, but I have to count it against him.

I think on polls like this, we have to accentuate the negatives of bowlers or batsmen because we all know they were great. So how do you distinguish between the greats? You have to find chinks somewhere, and when focusing on those chinks, its easy to get carried away and not see anything BUT the chinks.

So again, I am not dismissing Lillee. He was a fantastic bowler. India certainly have never had anyone with half as much ability, for example.

Lillee was a '***y' bowler. People chanted his name during run up. He was explosive, he was fast, and he was lethal. No one chants McGrath's name (though they should), even though I think McGrath is superior as a bowler. I think its a matter of perception in which a bowler is held, that plays a huge part too.
Thats enough from me on the matter. You can continue holding that belief if you like.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
And this was my opinion two months ago:

Thats enough from me on the matter. You can continue holding that belief if you like.

Okay I'm convinced, I won't bother posting the signature you used to have stating that Lillee wasn't an all-time great bowler.;)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Lillian Thomson said:
Okay I'm convinced, I won't bother posting the signature you used to have stating that Lillee wasn't an all-time great bowler.;)
Now that was definitely a joke, just to irk Aussie, Phoenix and you.