• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Of 2006

oz_fan

International Regular
Best team (Of 2006): Australia
Outstanding Player: Mike Hussey
Best Bowler: Murali
Best Batsman: Ricky Ponting
Best All-round performer: Pollock for his OD performances
Game of 2006 (Test and ODI): Ashes test at Adelaide. Record breaking SA vs Aus ODI
Best newcomer: Stuart Clark
Best Oldie: Murali
The Ball of 2006: Warne bowling KP around his legs at Adelaide
The Shot of 2006: KP's reverse sweep for 6
Funniest moment: Sreesanth's antics with Nel
Biggest suprise: Gillespie's double century.
Best Umpire: Bucknor
Worst decision: Hair penalising Pakistan. Giles ahead of Panesar at the start of the Ashes
Cricket Web Member of the year: Pasag, SL, Goughy

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Best team (Of 2006) : Can't look past Australia, who are now 16 months unbeaten in Tests, and still the best in ODIs (even if it isn't as clearcut as it is in Tests). Tis a bitter pill to swallow!
Outstanding Player : Ponting, Hussey, Yousuf all should really win this award, but to hell with it, I've been unbiased once, don't expect it twice, Kevin Pietersen, for completely defeating the "Cricket is boring" theory.
Best Bowler : Can't look, past Muralitharan, close to 100 wickets I believe?
Best Batsman : Contradicting my outstanding player selection, I shall choose Ponting
Best All-round performer : No great all-round performances on a year-long basis, but Flintoff takes this one for his superb efforts on three levels in India in taking us to a draw, and really, but for a dropped catch in the 1st innings at Nagpur, I reckon it could have easily been 2-1
Game of 2006 (Test and ODI) : Tests - from a personal POV, I'll go with Eng V Pak at OT because I was there and it was a handsome England victory with a marvellous performance from Harmison, and a fine ton from Bell, as well as Cook, on the day that I was there. And also Mumbai, for obvious reasons. From a much more neutral POV, Adelaide takes it simply for the stunning finale.

ODI - Errr, haven't watched many, so I'll be predictable, and pick the record chase by South Africa
Best newcomer : Monty Panesar
Best Oldie : Shane Warne
The Ball of 2006 : Monty to Younis Khan, 2nd innings @ Headinlgey :D
The Shot of 2006 : KP reverse-sweep off Murali @ Edgbaston
Funniest moment : When Fletcher joked that Panesar wasn't playing at Brisbane. There was no way he could have meant it, so I really did laugh.
Biggest suprise : England spinner taking three fifers and counting
Best Umpire : Hair, by a country mile
Worst decision : Reversing Akhtar and Asif's bans
and Cricket Web Member of the year. : Me. Other than that, hard to pick just one. Mentions must go to Fuller and SKD, who are both great, but let's face it, one's Australian and the other supports Oldham, so Brumby takes it, even if he is a poncy southerner.

Yes I know, these awards are Anglo-centric, but I haven't seen much non-England cricket this year as I never had Sky Sports for a large portion of it. Mind you, I'd probably make the same choices again anyway, because let's face it, I'm a stupid, arrogant, over-optimistic Pom :D

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Best team (Of 2006) - Australia
Outstanding Player - Ricky Ponting
Best Bowler - Muttiah Muralitharan
Best Batsman - Ricky Ponting
Best All-round performer - Kallis...I guess.
Game of 2006 (Test and ODI) - Test (I'm biased): SA vs IND 1st Test, ODI: None
Best newcomer - Hussey, and not even close
Best Oldie - Murali
The Ball of 2006 - None really that memorable
The Shot of 2006 - Pietersen's reverse sweep against Muralitharan
Funniest moment - Sreesanth Dance
Biggest suprise - Hairgate
Best Umpire - Taufel
Worst decision - All of them that went against teams I was rooting for (England & India)
and Cricket Web Member of the year. - Me

Chubb

International Regular
Best team (Of 2006) Australia
Outstanding Player Ricky Ponting
Best Bowler Stuart Clark
Best Batsman Mohammed Yousuf
Best All-round performer ?
Game of 2006 (Test and ODI) Zimbabwe's brilliant last-ball win v. Bangladesh.
Best newcomer(s) Sean Williams and CJ Chibhabha because they have the potential to be good international batsmen, and I need to cling on to whatever hope I can still muster. And CJ's sister Julia, for leading the successful first-ever Zimbabwe women's side.
Best Oldie Warne
The Ball of 2006 Panesar to Khan
The Shot of 2006 Brendan Taylor's last ball six v. Bangladesh
Funniest moment All the Zimboks mobbing Taylor after aforementioned shot.
Biggest suprise Tawanda Mupariwa stroking 30-odd to help Taylor win that match, and the fact Zim managed to win at all.
Best Umpire Billy Bowden
Worst decision The selection of Tafadzwa Kamungozi. Just be grateful you don't support Zimbabwe.
Cricket Web Member of the year. Goughy. Always seems to have good insight.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
GeraintIsMyHero said:
I can't work out if SS is being sarcastic or not :wacko:
I'm serious. It was exciting cricket. You can have exciting cricket even when you play in the backyard, it has little to do with them being minnows.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Best Team (Of 2006) Australia
Outstanding Player Ricky Ponting
Best Bowler Murali
Best Batsman Mohammed Yousuf

(I think the first four above pretty much pick themselves)

Test of the Year Bangladesh vs Australia 1st test at Fatullah - nail-biting stuff, very underrated innings from Gilly, too.
ODI of the Year Got a really poor memory when it comes to ODIs, but the AUS vs WI matches in the CT (not the final) and the DLF cup were pretty good.
Best Newcomer(s) Stuart Clark, Sreesanth
Best Oldie (ODIs) Sanath Jayasuriya
Best Oldie (Tests) Warne
The Ball of 2006 Hard to say just one, but any of the three times Mohammed Asif sent a stump or two careening in the third India vs Pakistan test at Karachi would do (Sehwag, Laxman and Tendulkar the victims, respectively).
The Shot of 2006 Didn't get more than two or three runs I think, but that two-handed backhand smash Pietersen played after advancing three paces down the pitch to McGrath was amazing for it's sheer audacity. Also, the second six Gilchrist hit off Monty Panesar at Perth was a beauty.
Funniest Moment Definitely Sreesanth's tete-a-tete with Andre Nel. Gave as good as he got; in fact, better. In your face!
Biggest Surprise India taking the Saffies out in a test away, as well as the return of Sourav Ganguly.
Best Umpire Steve Bucknor. Didn't see a whole lot of him in the first half of the year, but everything I've seen since has been really impressive. Amazing comeback after the mediocrity of the last few years.
Worst decision Darrell Hair's at Ovalgate, because it wasn't a mistake, it was wilfully foolish. Doctrove's complete failure to come to a decision at all as third umpire in Antigua right up there as well.
Best Troll Lillian Thomson, 'cause he only trolls part time, and he makes it funny when he indulges.
CW Member of the Year Urrrgh, all the usual suspects have been excellent and quite a few great new posters this year.. I'll say Jono, with about three or four guys hot on his heels.

luffy

International Captain
Best team (Of 2006) Australia
Outstanding Player Mike Hussey
Best Bowler Murali
Best Batsman Punter
Best All-round performer Not really any
Game of 2006 (Test and ODI) Australian Comeback in Adelaide, Aus VS Sa ODI
Best newcomer Clark
Best Oldie Warne
Funniest moment Gilly's Century vs England
Biggest suprise Stuart Clarke great start to Test Matches