• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting.The best?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
For what it's worth, here's the top batting averages as captain. Ponting stacks up pretty well, it must be said, but he's got a while to go in his captaincy tenure yet so it might go down a bit.

DG Bradman - 101.52 (38 innings)
RT Ponting - 67.21 (62 innings)
GSA Sobers - 58.80 (71 innings)
Hanif Mohammad - 58.73 (18 innings)
GA Gooch - 58.72 (63 innings)
WW Armstrong - 56.00 (13 innings)
GS Chappell - 55.38 (86 innings)
WR Hammond - 55.23 (33 innings)

Hammond's average as captain is below his career average, while all the others are above. There's another 15 or so who have 50+ averages as captain but under 55. The most remarkable inclusion in that list is Imran, given that he also bowled, and the most surprising exclusion is Dravid, who only averages 49 as captain.

Last edited:

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
pasag said:
Yeah it's pretty obvious what andmark was talking about and he has a good point.

Haven't seen a case of so many people missing the point on this site in a long time.
Haha, he writes one sentence, doesn't bother to elaborate, and uses an obscure descriptive term to describe Ponting, and you say he's made a good point?

Why make the otherwise arbitrary distinction unless you're saying it has a positive effect on his captaincy, batting or both? My original post in this thread is based upon the assumption that seeing as the Australian team basically captains itself, that it can't really be having much effect on Ponting's batting.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
16 tins of Spam said:
Haha, he writes one sentence, doesn't bother to elaborate, and uses an obscure descriptive term to describe Ponting, and you say he's made a good point?

Why make the otherwise arbitrary distinction unless you're saying it has a positive effect on his captaincy, batting or both? My original post in this thread is based upon the assumption that seeing as the Australian team basically captains itself, that it can't really be having much effect on Ponting's batting.
I didn't say he made a good point, I said he had a good point. There is a difference.

Andmark wanted to know if Ponting was the best 'captain batsman' of all time and people go off on a tangent about how he is a rubbish captain when the clearly that is not the intention of the thread.

Just because andmark is ten, doesn't mean you should dismiss everything he says as vague and iffy.

And the Australian team doesn't captain itself, it's as big a job on and off the feild as the captaincy of any other country (besides one other) imo. Just because they make it look easy doesn't mean it is.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I think Punter's captaincy career is taking the same trend as Allan Border based on what i've heard of Border's early days as skipper. So Ponting may well turn out to be top tactical skipper in the future. But we'll see..

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think anyone can complain about his captaincy so far this ashes.... yeah he was probably a little defensive at the Gabba... but apart from that it's darn hard to find anymore criticisms.

Dick Rockett

pasag said:
Andmark wanted to know if Ponting was the best 'captain batsman' of all time and people go off on a tangent about how he is a rubbish captain when the clearly that is not the intention of the thread.

Just because andmark is ten, doesn't mean you should dismiss everything he says as vague and iffy.
:-O Whoa there slick, chill.

How am I supposed to know andmark is ten? Obviously some people don't spend anywhere near as much time on here as you do, and hence haven't gathered anywhere near the same level of personal info on other members.

You might think that the intent of the thread was clear, I do not. Does it really matter anyway? So many threads end up going in a completely different direction to when they started I don't know why you're so worked up over this one.

pasag

RTDAS
16 tins of Spam said:
:-O Whoa there slick, chill.

How am I supposed to know andmark is ten? Obviously some people don't spend anywhere near as much time on here as you do, and hence haven't gathered anywhere near the same level of personal info on other members.

You might think that the intent of the thread was clear, I do not. Does it really matter anyway? So many threads end up going in a completely different direction to when they started I don't know why you're so worked up over this one.
Ok, Ok fair enough.

Just a quick question though, are you Mundane Yogi? I don't think you are but I was talking to some people who are convinced that you're him.

(Sorry for the lack of tact.)

Dick Rockett

pasag said:
Ok, Ok fair enough.

Just a quick question though, are you Mundane Yogi? I don't think you are but I was talking to some people who are convinced that you're him.

(Sorry for the lack of tact.)
Who? Would be interested to see that thread (or was it not on CW?).

Btw, no worries re: tact. You're one of the better posters on here, usually :)

pasag

RTDAS
16 tins of Spam said:
Who? Would be interested to see that thread (or was it not on CW?).

Btw, no worries re: tact. You're one of the better posters on here, usually :)
Mentioned here and here, plus had a heated debated on MSN about it yesterday. :)

Dick Rockett

Good sleuthing dude, but I've never denied being a new incarnation of a previous member.

I signed up as a different user because of a few bad vibes that were hanging around the place and wanted to start afresh.

R_D

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
The most remarkable inclusion in that list is Imran, given that he also bowled, and the most surprising exclusion is Dravid, who only averages 49 as captain.
Since Dravid got Permanent Captaincy job.. he avg 65 but on odd occasion he did captain the team before .. he did pretty bad with the bat.. Thats why his avg dragged down a bit.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
16 tins of Spam said:
Good sleuthing dude, but I've never denied being a new incarnation of a previous member.

I signed up as a different user because of a few bad vibes that were hanging around the place and wanted to start afresh.
Sevennnnnnn.

Haha, I like your posts. :)

Dick Rockett

Thanks! :)

As far as the "seven" goes, I haven't used my old account since creating this one. IIRC, I asked James to lock the old one.