Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 66

Thread: The Streak - Can Australia Do It Again?

  1. #46
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,127
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Love™
    LOL

    The final two tests of this series, Craig....


    That is dire, real more daft then Geriant Jones' run out

    Craigos you idiot.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

    Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

  2. #47
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Johnners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    That Glorious Moustache
    Posts
    20,160
    It will definetly be a lot harder without Warne & McGrath, but it's still definetly a viable acheivement. I have to agree with Fuller in that with Clark/Lee/Johnson/Hilfenhaus, the attack looks in better shape than it did with Gillespie/Williams/Bichel etc.

    Back on topic though, if the streak is to be equalled, or broken, it will come on the back of the batting imho. With Ponting & Hussey absolutely Gunning every bowler that comes within Cooee of them, and Clarke starting to look like the Class player we knew he was capable of being, our Middle Order is going to win us a truckload of matches in the upcoming 3/4 years.

    Whilst it may be said that you need to take 20 wickets etc. etc. i reckon our bowling attack, whilst capable on their day, without Warne or McGrath will struggle to reduce teams to the lower totals an attack comprising both legends has in the past. For this reason, i beleive that the onus will be on the Batting to really step it up another notch, to give the bowlers the extra confidence etc. until the attack finds it's feet without the old heads of Warne & McGrath around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

  3. #48
    International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bitch please, I'm from West Yorkshire
    Posts
    14,989
    Even with McWarne, Australia have proved that when they both don't fire they are susceptable to conceding pretty big totals, like they did at Adelaide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

  4. #49
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer Choc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    JHB
    Posts
    84
    Would like to see England at least pull back one just for the fun of it
    Everyone Loves Winners


  5. #50
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    39,951
    Back on topic though, if the streak is to be equalled, or broken, it will come on the back of the batting imho. With Ponting & Hussey absolutely Gunning every bowler that comes within Cooee of them, and Clarke starting to look like the Class player we knew he was capable of being, our Middle Order is going to win us a truckload of matches in the upcoming 3/4 years.

    Whilst it may be said that you need to take 20 wickets etc. etc. i reckon our bowling attack, whilst capable on their day, without Warne or McGrath will struggle to reduce teams to the lower totals an attack comprising both legends has in the past. For this reason, i beleive that the onus will be on the Batting to really step it up another notch, to give the bowlers the extra confidence etc. until the attack finds it's feet without the old heads of Warne & McGrath around.
    But thats the thing. The batting can't stop you from getting a draw. Without McWarne, will you be able to bowl them out every match to keep the streak going? I don't see the Aussies losing any matches anytime soon...but winning as much?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  6. #51
    International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Lakemba, Sydney
    Posts
    2,283
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    I think Clark/Lee/Johnson/Tait or whatever is a better selection of seamers than Bichel/Gillespie/Williams/Bracken too. Australia are definitely better equipped to handle losing Warne and McGrath than they were a couple of years back. It'll be an interesting time, though.
    You had Lee in 2003/2004 as well and Macgill was probably in better form a few years ago


    I think you overrate Tait - I just can't see him being consistently successful at test level with his action.....at best he'll average 31 like Lee.

    Also HilfenHaus, what's so special about him apart from the Germanic name ? He doens't look particularly impressive to me..

    Johnson is the only one that I think has true world class potential. Clark's a good bowler but I don't think he will be as good as McGrath even given the impressive start to nhis test career.

    I certainly feel that teams would fancy their chances of getting runs against Lee/Clark/.Watson/MCGill/Johnson and even more so if you throw Tait into the mix.
    IMO, both Pakistan and England at full strength would have better bowling attacks tan Australia withoiut McWarne
    Zinedine Zidane is the greatest footballer ever !

    Richard Dickinson - you little beauty !!!!

  7. #52
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Johnners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    That Glorious Moustache
    Posts
    20,160
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    But thats the thing. The batting can't stop you from getting a draw. Without McWarne, will you be able to bowl them out every match to keep the streak going? I don't see the Aussies losing any matches anytime soon...but winning as much?
    Yeah i agree that without the old-timers we will find it difficult to bowl the opposition out every match, but i also mentioned thats why the batsmen have to step it up a notch. If they can consistently churn out the big scores, it's going to give the bowlers a helluva lot more confidence knowing they have the big scores behind them, thus taking the pressure of, and hopefully making them more likely to bowl well... follow?

  8. #53
    International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Lakemba, Sydney
    Posts
    2,283
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    Honestly, and not intending to disrespect Sri Lanka or India, but I think even with Gilchrist McGrath and Warne out of the team, we would be realistic chances to clean sweep both of those teams on home turf. .
    In 2003/2004, you barely managed to scrape a home draw against India without McWarne.

    And you''re also unlikely to have Gilchrist around much longer......Haddin may be competent but I seriously doubt he'll be as good as Gilchrist.

  9. #54
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Johnners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    That Glorious Moustache
    Posts
    20,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Salamuddin
    You had Lee in 2003/2004 as well and Macgill was probably in better form a few years ago


    I think you overrate Tait - I just can't see him being consistently successful at test level with his action.....at best he'll average 31 like Lee.

    Also HilfenHaus, what's so special about him apart from the Germanic name ? He doens't look particularly impressive to me..

    Johnson is the only one that I think has true world class potential. Clark's a good bowler but I don't think he will be as good as McGrath even given the impressive start to nhis test career.

    I certainly feel that teams would fancy their chances of getting runs against Lee/Clark/.Watson/MCGill/Johnson and even more so if you throw Tait into the mix.
    IMO, both Pakistan and England at full strength would have better bowling attacks tan Australia withoiut McWarne
    Lee was a worse bowler in 2003/2004 than he is now, and coming back from injury...

    No nothing much is special about Hilfenhaus . Well, Apart from the fact that he's already taken 29 wickets @ 26, including three 5-fers for Tasmania in the Pura-Cup this season that is. He's trouble most batsmen he's come up against, including several who either are currently in the test team (Haydos particularly) or have test aspirations (Voges, Hodge, Symonds)

    Add to that his impressive season last year, and the fact that many "experts", former players, etc. all are jumping aboard the hilfenhaus boat, i'd say he's pretty special!

  10. #55
    International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Lakemba, Sydney
    Posts
    2,283
    Quote Originally Posted by Clapo
    Lee was a worse bowler in 2003/2004 than he is now, and coming back from injury...

    No nothing much is special about Hilfenhaus . Well, Apart from the fact that he's already taken 29 wickets @ 26, including three 5-fers for Tasmania in the Pura-Cup this season that is. He's trouble most batsmen he's come up against, including several who either are currently in the test team (Haydos particularly) or have test aspirations (Voges, Hodge, Symonds)

    Add to that his impressive season last year, and the fact that many "experts", former players, etc. all are jumping aboard the hilfenhaus boat, i'd say he's pretty special!
    Domestic stats mean very little.......let's see how he performs at test level. I have my doubts about whether he's that good but time will tell.

    As for Lee, he's been pretty unimpressive this season....at test level, Lee's decent but that's about it, he ceryainly will not be the world class quick bolwer that the Aussies hoped he would be at the Boxing Day test in 1999.
    I don't really see how's he improved all that much.

    As I said before, of all the upcoming bolwers I think Johnson is the only one with real cutting edge potential. Clark is a solid workporse but I think he won't be quite as successful in the future as he is now when he plays more on different wickets and batsmen get used to him more.
    Tait's average ...period. At best he'll be occasionally threatening like Lee...more often than not he'll be injured or wayward.
    Last edited by Salamuddin; 22-12-2006 at 06:27 PM.

  11. #56
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Johnners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    That Glorious Moustache
    Posts
    20,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Salamuddin
    Domestic stats mean very little.......let's see how he performs at test level. I have my doubts about whether he's that good but time will tell.

    As for Lee, he's been pretty unimpressive this season....at test level, Lee's decent but that's about it, he ceryainly will not be the world class quick bolwer that the Aussies hoped he would be at the Boxing Day test in 1999.
    I don't really see how's he improved all that much.

    As I said before, of all the upcoming bolwers I think Johnson is the only one with real cutting edge potential. Clark is a solid workporse but I think he won't be quite as successful in the future as he is now when he plays more on different wickets and batsmen get used to him more.
    Tait's average ...period. At best he'll be occasionally threatening like Lee...more often than not he'll be injured or wayward.
    If domestic stats mean so little.... and we have nothing else to judge test hopefuls on... i guess we should just take a random pick then i spose... ya never know, perhaps we should pick Steve McGoffin then, he may be crap at domestic level, but i'm sure he could be a star in tests

  12. #57
    International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Lakemba, Sydney
    Posts
    2,283
    Quote Originally Posted by Clapo
    If domestic stats mean so little.... and we have nothing else to judge test hopefuls on... i guess we should just take a random pick then i spose... ya never know, perhaps we should pick Steve McGoffin then, he may be crap at domestic level, but i'm sure he could be a star in tests

    Missed the point as usual I see, what I'm saying is .....I wouldn't talk up a player until he has performed at international level.

  13. #58
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Johnners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    That Glorious Moustache
    Posts
    20,160
    yeah, and your missing my point... your going to have stand-outs in domestic cricket, Hilfenhaus is 1 of them, as is Johnson. When a player is performing as well as these 2 at domestic level of course they're going to be talked up, because whilst we have nothing else to judge them upon, their domestic form is what the selectors will be looking at... otherwise..you might as well do what Howardj suggested, and go down to the 7/11 and hand out baggy greens.

  14. #59
    Banned Stumped's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Behind the Stumps
    Posts
    1,071
    Sure we can do it...but i doubt it

    My bet that there is one or 2 draws to spoil it.

  15. #60
    U19 12th Man
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    BANGALORE
    Posts
    205
    The only way to stop the Ausse streak - try and play against India in India again Warney or no Warney

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. No Asians ?
    By Laurrz in forum ICC Champions Trophy 2006
    Replies: 140
    Last Post: 11-11-2006, 06:57 AM
  2. Winter cricket in Australia
    By Arjun in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 25-10-2006, 07:49 PM
  3. Replies: 47
    Last Post: 07-10-2006, 05:48 AM
  4. Are some countries better at somethings ?
    By SJS in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 03-10-2006, 05:40 PM
  5. Oldest Test Team?
    By chaminda_00 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 13-09-2006, 10:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •