• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wicketkeeper for 1946-2006 World XI

Wicketkeeper for 1946-2006 World Test XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PhoenixFire

International Coach
silentstriker said:
Wow, impressive. Healy only averaged 3.3 dismissals per test where Gilly is averaging 4+. Those stats favor Gilly, really.
I don't really think it had anything to do with how good a keeper you are, and how good the bowlers are. >5% of the catches has anything to do with keeping ability.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Wow, impressive. Healy only averaged 3.3 dismissals per test where Gilly is averaging 4+. Those stats favor Gilly, really.
you are kidding right? it depends on how many catches/stumpings come to you behind the stumps....healy was a much better 'keeper than gilchrist...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
knott for me although the mania of the cricket fans for the "allrounder wicket keeper" will make gilchrist the runaway winner....

aussie tragic

International Captain
Unless someone counts how many catches a keeper dropped, or how many missed stumpings, or how many byes he conceded, I don't think you can rate keepers by stats at all.

btw, even byes are a bit misleading like when Jeff Thomson created 4-byes by bouncing it over Marsh's head :)

So, I went Gillly as he's easily considered the best batsman and you rarely hear any complaints about his keeping.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
aussie tragic said:
Unless someone counts how many catches a keeper dropped, or how many missed stumpings, or how many byes he conceded, I don't think you can rate keepers by stats at all.
Yea I have to agree with that.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Anil said:
you are kidding right? it depends on how many catches/stumpings come to you behind the stumps....healy was a much better 'keeper than gilchrist...
Better? Yea. Much better? Doubtful. How many does Gilly drop? Seriously? I don't remember him having a bad test behind the stumps for at least a year or two.

shortpitched713

International Captain
aussie tragic said:
Except for win percentage. That favors Gilchrist by a fair bit.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
shortpitched713 said:
Except for win percentage. That favors Gilchrist by a fair bit.

Win percentage? As far as stats are concerned that is probably the most meaningless when judging the ability of a wicket-keeper.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Where did I say that he did, in fact I said he was better. Its the 'much better' that I have an issue with.
he is much better....so is knott...

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've gone for Knott, out of pure sour grapes.

I don't stand much chance in the cricketchat-poster thingymijig, do I?:unsure: