• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best venue in the world

Beleg

International Regular
England: Headingley, Leeds.
Australia: Adelaide
WI: Arnos Vales
NZ: Carisbrook
SA: Cape Town
Sri Lanka: the old galle stadium (with the fort)
India: Eden Gardens
Pakistan: National Stadium, Karachi

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Beleg said:
England: Headingley, Leeds.
Really?

Wasn't that impressed when I went, and not just because it's in Yorkshire. Seemed a pretty average ground, but being surrounding by annoying people who don't really have a clue about cricket or shutting up didn't help.

shortpitched713

International Captain
The SCG in Sydney is an excellent ground from the pics I've seen of it. National Stadium in Karachi easily the best out of a bad lot in Pakistan.

Beleg

International Regular
Baconator,

I like it because it seems like a very intimate ground without any of the snobbery associated with the english 'gentleman's sport' culture.

That and the fact Pakistan beat Australia there in 99 among some of the most electrfying crowd I have ever seen. Rivalled football.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
The Baconator said:
Really?

Wasn't that impressed when I went, and not just because it's in Yorkshire. Seemed a pretty average ground, but being surrounding by annoying people who don't really have a clue about cricket or shutting up didn't help.
I watched the best day of cricket in my life at Headingley. On the last day of the 3rd Test v Pakistan 2006, we bowled them out to win. The atmosphere was immense, and the ground was fully packed.

thedarkmullet

School Boy/Girl Captain
As much as Eden Eark is the worst playing ground in the world, I think the view of the game you get is pretty top notch. The fact that the playing area is so cropped means that you feel like you're almost in the field of play yourself.

In terms of scenery, it has to be Queenstown.

The Baconator

PhoenixFire said:
I watched the best day of cricket in my life at Headingley. On the last day of the 3rd Test v Pakistan 2006, we bowled them out to win. The atmosphere was immense, and the ground was fully packed.
That was when I was there actually. Yeah the atmosphere was pretty great, was more referring to the appearance of the ground really.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
The views are decent there(and very very good at the top of the Aunt Bessies stand), and the redevelopment has made it a lot better, the seating is pretty comfortable, but the bar queues were abysmal. Better than OT anyway thats for sure

PhoenixFire

International Coach
The Baconator said:
That was when I was there actually. Yeah the atmosphere was pretty great, was more referring to the appearance of the ground really.

TBF, it's not really as ugly as it's made out to be, but clearly not one of the most beautiful grounds in the world.

The Baconator

Reckon it's nicer than Edgbaston aesthetically, not that that's saying much. Edgbaston's another ground that I'm not too keen on, even though it's the one I go to most often. Never really been there when it's been a good atmosphere though.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
thedarkmullet said:
As much as Eden Eark is the worst playing ground in the world, I think the view of the game you get is pretty top notch. The fact that the playing area is so cropped means that you feel like you're almost in the field of play yourself.
That's very true. Love going up the steps into the North Stand, walking out onto the concourse and then suddenly seeing the field right down below, great stuff.

Beleg said:
NZ: Carisbrook
Can I ask why?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Been to every ground in Oz bar Hobart and for mine the Gabba is by far the best ground - superb conditions for both players and spectators.

The MCG is incredibly overrated - relatively few spectators get a decent view, the wicket sucks and the place is so big that there's very little atmosphere. Ive been to Boxing Day tests and Afl Grand finals there and always leave the place thinking that I'd have been much better off watching it with a few mates at the pub

Lords is a pretty average ground but probably ranks as about the best because of the incredible atmosphere of the place. In that regard, it's like Wimbledon which has ordinary courts, piss-poor seating but amazing atmosphere

Beleg

International Regular
Regarding Carisbrook, I like the look of the stadium. Obviously, I haven't been inside it but from what I remember, the atmosphere was rad when Pakistan played NZ. (and lost)

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Good thread

England - The Oval has become ***ier, but I still like Trent Bridge more

India - You cant look past Eden Gardens

Pakistan - To Be fair, their isnt that much to choose from. Karachi is the only stand out one

New Zealand - Whats the point, no-one ever goes? :P But I've had a look at Christchurch, and thats impressive

Australia - Not many would agree, but I like the WACA WACA! stadium. Not too big, but a nice venue

Sith Efricer - The Wanderers in Johannesbourg is somewhere I want to visit, soon. Looks killer

West Indies - That one in St Lucia - Warner Park? Sound

Slifer

International Captain
Warner park is in the tiny twin island federation of St kitts-nevis. That too is quite an intimate and picturesque venue. Just opened up this year.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Tomm NCCC said:
Sith Efricer - The Wanderers in Johannesbourg is somewhere I want to visit, soon. Looks killer
Fantastic ground, we are so spoilt in SA for cricket grounds, Centurion park an hour up the road is even better

Prodigy

Cricket Spectator
i love the SCG, but that is the only one i have been to. When i go to England I want to go to a few matches at different locations.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Would love to watch Test match cricket on grassy banks so the Adelaide Oval or the Basin Reserve (which I have been to incidentally). :)