• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Congrats Mohammed Yousuf for breaking Viv's record

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Congratulations to Mohammad Yousuf, he's batted well through the year but I still fancy Ricky Ponting coming close.

Nishant

International 12th Man
Perm said:
Congratulations to Mohammad Yousuf, he's batted well through the year but I still fancy Ricky Ponting coming close.

Doubt he'll beat it though! Yousuf has a lot more to do......Ponting will get close though!

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It has been a great year, and I see no real reason why he cant continue in a similar but lessar vein in the future.

Last edited:

Slow Love™

International Captain
Great stuff from MoYo. Really impressive, and the fact that the record stood for 30 years in spite of all the high-scoring of this era shows it was a real achievement. The man just can't stop making centuries lately.

cricistan

Cricket Spectator
Yousuf's final tally for the year is 1788 runs from 11 Tests, and 665 of them have come from the series against West Indies, the highest tally recorded by a Pakistani batsman in a three-Test series. He began his run with two hundreds in the home series against India. He only played a solitary Test in Sri Lanka, personally an unmemorable one, but a double century at Lord's sparked off a stunning second half of the year.

this year
matches 11
100s 9
Runs 1788
average 100

Last edited:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Mohammed Yousuf is so good that we might now consider comparing him to Dave Mohammed and Rikki Clarke.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
This may deserve its own thread but...

The LG ratings update has pushed Mo Yo to 933 - the tenth highest rated batsman in history. Though ironically he's still only ranked no.2 in the world, as Punter is on 940!

Either way - flat tracks notwithstanding - from a purely statistical, mountains-of-runs-against-all-comers point of view, these two blokes are batting right now at a level not exceeded by too many players in the history of the game.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Mohammed Yousuf for me could well get up to 35 odd Hundreds, and maybe 8-9000 test runs if he plays well.

techno t

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Rob T said:
------------Year---- M---- I---- NO---- Runs---- HS---- Av---- 100s
M Yousuf ---2006----11----19----1----1788----202---99.34---9
IVA Richards 1976--- 11--- 19--- 0--- 1710--- 291--- 90.00--- 7
RT Ponting 2005--- 15--- 28--- 5--- 1544--- 207--- 67.13--- 6
RT Ponting 2003--- 11--- 18--- 3--- 1503--- 257--- 100.20--- 6
JL Langer 2004--- 14--- 27--- 0--- 1481--- 215--- 54.85--- 5
MP Vaughan 2002--- 14--- 26--- 2--- 1481--- 197--- 61.70--- 6
SM Gavaskar 1979--- 17--- 26--- 0--- 1407--- 221--- 54.11--- 4

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Reactions to the record

Bob Woolmer
It is a marvellous achievement. I have had the honour of playing against Viv Richards and coaching Yousuf. Both are very different in their styles, Viv was a lot more aggressive and Yousuf more sedate but to break Viv's record is really an outstanding achievement.

Brian Lara
It's excellent and slightly unbelievable what he has achieved. Nine hundreds in a year and that many runs is just magnificent. He is a very committed player and an excellent role model, not just for Pakistan but for young cricketers everywhere. He's had an amazing year, though the last 600 runs that he has scored I haven't really enjoyed.

Sanjay Manjrekar
The most striking thing about Yousuf at the moment is that it is as if he is batting in a trance. He is so calm at the crease and that mental change is the most striking change from last year. You know people will say that he played on flat tracks, against weak attacks at times but that is neither here nor there. He still had to break a big record and he has done it. What's good to see, apart from the calm demeanour, is that he is, like all good batsmen, cashing in on good form and making the most of that period."

Nasim Ashraf
Pakistan is very proud of his achievements and he will be honoured by the PCB after the match.

Hanif Mohammad
We are proud of what he has done and I hope this is the start of of something great for him.

Rameez Raja
He's been absolutely brilliant this year and has done it against good teams in India, England and the West Indies and has done it home and away. I don't think he has made any technical adjustments as such, but he is so sound mentally now. Religion has played an integral part in his growth not just as a cricketer but as a person. I used to doubt his ability to see Pakistan through in situations before but he has rescued Pakistan from precarious positions through the year. A superb achievement.

Other records he holds:

Feats achieved
* Most hundreds in a calendar year (9)
* Highest run scorer in a calendar year (1788 runs in 2006)
* Highest average of any Pakistani batsman (56.65)
* 3rd highest career average (56.65) from players still playing (min of 20 tests). Only Ponting (59.52 avg) and Dravid (58,75 avg) average higher than him.
* 5 hundreds in consecutive tests (joint 2nd with Kallis)
* 6th Pakistani batsman to score a century in each innings of a test match.
* Joint 5th for most runs in an over, 24 runs off a N. Boje over in Cape Town.
* 3rd fastest (in balls) test fifty made in 27 balls vs SA in SA.
* Joint (with Viv and Sachin) 6th fastest player to reach 6000 test runs
* 2nd best centuries to matches ratio from players with over 20 test centuries. MoYo makes a century every 3.17 matches. He's behind Bradman (1.79 matches per century) but ahead of Hayden (3.27 matches per century) and Ponting (3.31 matches per century). The only non-Aussie in the top 4!
an amazin year from the guy. His mentality is spot on and he seems to be in the run scoring "zone" at the moment.

Congrats to him :happy:

pasag

RTDAS
Yousuf this year has been a far cry, scoring wise from last year so far. It's almost as if the incident with his wife or the break from cricket had a massive effect on his purple patch. I can't imagine the ICL and possible recriminations, captaincy and Twenty20 frustrations would be helping either.

Anyways in 2007 and since his short break he has scores of 32, 18, 83, 18, 25, 63*, 27, 18 and 6 so far. Hope he turns it around tbh.