• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket vs Baseball

Will baseball be a threat to cricket at the international level?

• Yes.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • No!

Votes: 41 95.3%
  • May be...

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Dravid said:
But Baseball isn't trying to develop in the second most populated country in the world, thus it will always be below Cricket.
China already plays baseball when cricket they dont yet... :(

Josh

International Regular
Scaly piscine said:
Rugby union is spreading all the time because it's the opposite of this, there are intercountry club competitions, a thriving international game with plenty of fixtures.
I find this a very, very good and key point. Rugby Union's playing nations have probably doubled in the past 10-20 years because of its spread and fixturing.

Dravid

International Captain
LA ICE-E said:
China already plays baseball when cricket they dont yet... :(
I know but Cricket is getting more and more popular in China. Cricket has 10x as more people who play the sport than baseball.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
basebals been trying to spread its wings and just the thought that it might threaten cricket in the long run is saddening...what if they start playing internationally more then baseball has big chance....australia and south africa are 2 test countries who played in the baseball classics :(

Poker Boy said:
No I don't think so - and I don't think either will go global. Baseball (and its female equivalent softball) is being put out of the Olympics after Bejing which might tell you something...

well cricket isn't and was kicked out of the olimpics after like the 1910s and new news says cricket isn't going to be a olympic sport for while...

Dravid

International Captain
LA ICE-E said:
basebals been trying to spread its wings and just the thought that it might threaten cricket in the long run is saddening...what if they start playing internationally more then baseball has big chance....australia and south africa are 2 test countries who played in the baseball classics :(

well cricket isn't and was kicked out of the olimpics after like the 1910s and new news says cricket isn't going to be a olympic sport for while...
You don't have to worry about Cricket being overtaken by Baseball. It's never going to happen.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
LA ICE-E said:
australia and south africa are 2 test countries who played in the baseball classics :(
Yes but Aus and SA have always had baseball. Its not a new thing. Also SA involvement in the Baseball Classic garnered about as much attention and public interest as the Nuneaton Lawn Bowls U'13 girls 3rd division.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
happy to hear it...but why did they always have full stadiums and when i watch some clips of the last world cup there were some empty steats...but hope fully cricket can do what rugbys been doing- spread...

jack_sparrow

U19 Debutant
Josh said:
Baseball is only popular in the US and surrounds and Japan, really. A tiny bit of popularity in Europe.

Cricket has a much higher profile internationally and also a ****load more players at amateur level. The two aren't comparible.

:laugh: some dude in australia is saying this. where are you pulling this from? dare i ask....

almost half of the players in the MLB are hispanic. Hispanic as in, they were either born in the States and are of south american ancestry or they are south american citizens playing for the MLB.

Josh

International Regular
jack_sparrow said:
:laugh: some dude in australia is saying this. where are you pulling this from? dare i ask....

almost half of the players in the MLB are hispanic. Hispanic as in, they were either born in the States and are of south american ancestry or they are south american citizens playing for the MLB.
Half my family is American, and I've lived there.

By the comment "the two aren't comparible", I actually meant that because of their different areas of popularity and main involved countries. Not the weight of numbers, as it would have been easy to comprehend as.

US and surrounds = USA, Canada, South America, Cuba, etc.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
jack_sparrow said:

No, that is exaggerating a bit too much.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
You could never hold the Cricket World Cup in America, they tried it with soccer but the American public were confused when teams from other Countries turned up.

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
jack_sparrow said:

actually it was 26% in 2002 (source: www.latinobaseball.com), but since most of the top class players are hispanics it seems like a bigger number.

As per the topic, both different sports and different markets not gonna cross each other in terms of competition.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports_attendance_figures#Competitions_between_national_teams
it shows baseball classic having 741,430 attendence and cricket world cup just having 581,397 even though cricket had 52 games and the classic had 39 games....can someone find out if the baseball figure is actually true or is exaggerated and make sure the numbers for the world cup is true too...does any one know what was the attendence from 99 world cup or whats the most successfull world cup attendence wise....what the hell how could the classic have more attendance on its 1st turn then the world cup which been established for so long....

Dravid

International Captain
LA ICE-E said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports_attendance_figures#Competitions_between_national_teams
it shows baseball classic having 741,430 attendence and cricket world cup just having 581,397 even though cricket had 52 games and the classic had 39 games....can someone find out if the baseball figure is actually true or is exaggerated and make sure the numbers for the world cup is true too...does any one know what was the attendence from 99 world cup or whats the most successfull world cup attendence wise....what the hell how could the classic have more attendance on its 1st turn then the world cup which been established for so long....
I highly doubt that is true. Plus 2011 world cup will own all other sporting events, due to the fact it's taking place in the sub continent, where if India plays a couple of matches in Kolkata, then the World Cup would just own.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Dravid said:
I highly doubt that is true. Plus 2011 world cup will own all other sporting events, due to the fact it's taking place in the sub continent, where if India plays a couple of matches in Kolkata, then the World Cup would just own.
ah repeat of the 96 violence wont help (nightmate:sri lanka vs india) but so true thats going to be the best world cup because by then aussies will start sucking all associates will get better with all these experience and there will be home crowd from sri lanka, india, pak and bang....thats going to be the biggest but can someone find the actuall total attendance from the 2003 world cup i have been looking all over the place:wacko: cant find it:'( would really appreciate it....may be list of total attendance for all cricket world cups would be better....

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Just to let you know, 900,000 tickets have been sold for this summer of cricket. This figure doesn't include the 5th days either yet.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
I played alot of baseball growing up
i was on my high skool team and everything

i dont actually know why i enjoyed it, i have enjoyed most sports

but now looking back i mean baseball just doenst even compare to cricket

u cant hit the ball backwards, 90% of the time ur just trying to make contact in the middle of the bat,

u just dont have anywhere near as much control as u do with a cricket bat where u open the face at times, use the wrist

hitting homeruns is fun though but theres just not much technique when it comes to baseball
baseball is one of those sprots, where u can do well without any prior practice, that is only as a hitter though

i remember when i came to canada, the first time i played baseball, i owned everyone in teh school, because its simple basic hand eye co ordination and power, theres just not much depth to teh game

sure at the pro level, hitters do get technical with stances, head positoing, follow throuhgs
but its nothing compared to mastering feet movement, balance and stuff in cricket

pitching is also very one dimensional because the ball doenst even bounce, its fun throwing as hard as u can, and getting the ball to move but it doenst compare to cricket

i dont know why americans are obsessed with the game, the only reason that makes sense is that the game is much shorter then cricket

really interms of quality, i dnot think both sports even compare

LA ICE-E

State Captain
GoT_SpIn said:
Just to let you know, 900,000 tickets have been sold for this summer of cricket. This figure doesn't include the 5th days either yet.
is that for the ashes you mean? thanks can you give me the source you know that info from?

again can someone find the actuall total attendance from the 2003 world cup....may be list of total attendance for all cricket world cups would be better.... i have been looking all over the place cant find it:'( would really appreciate it....