• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Wisden Bible all time player rankings

shortpitched713

International Captain
silentstriker said:
However, I don't think any bowler with doosra bowls legally, or at least I haven't seen it bowled legally.
What do you base this on? Murali's doosra had been cleared by the ICC iirc. If you're basing it on what you see, then the the ICC's current rules would say that you are wrong everytime. The fallability of judging actions with the naked eye was the whole reason the rules got put in place in the first place.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
sachin is waaaaaaay too high on the Wisden list. I have not seen many of the past players, so can't comment on them. If Wisden ranks them that high, then they must have been very good. But I don't think if Wisden does it now, sachin, Lara etc. will stay in the same positions. Shows why one shouldn't rank players before they are done, AFAIC.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
silentstriker said:
If you think he does not chuck, then you have a hard time showing how he can't possibly be a top three bowler of all time. The man takes too many wickets and does it everywhere.

However, I don't think any bowler with doosra bowls legally, or at least I haven't seen it bowled legally, so thats why I would have Warne higher, but if I take the ICC stance and rule all his deliveries legal....there is no way I can keep him from being a top three bowler. You just can't. In every conceivable category, he simply blows most of the opposition away. He has pace all time great stats even though he's a spinner (spinners tend to have higher averages and Strike Rates than pace bowlers....except Murali).
define legal and illegal here.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bit surprised by Thorpe and Chanderpaul being ahead of Martin Crowe.

Would have had Graeme Pollock and Wally Hammond in my top 10.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Don't totally agree with the batsman rankings in the original post, but the bowler rankings are pretty much spot on tbh. Totally agree with the ODI rankings though.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
shortpitched713 said:
What do you base this on? Murali's doosra had been cleared by the ICC iirc. If you're basing it on what you see, then the the ICC's current rules would say that you are wrong everytime. The fallability of judging actions with the naked eye was the whole reason the rules got put in place in the first place.
My issue with that is that if an action is cleared in the lab, and he bowls with that for five out of six deliveries, but then decides to chuck one...can the umpire no ball him?

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
silentstriker said:
My issue with that is that if an action is cleared in the lab, and he bowls with that for five out of six deliveries, but then decides to chuck one...can the umpire no ball him?
Yes, if he feels the bowler is chucking the ball as defined by the revised law. Although, considering the sensitivity of the issue, he better be damn sure.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
nightprowler10 said:
Yes, if he feels the bowler is chucking the ball as defined by the revised law. Although, considering the sensitivity of the issue, he better be damn sure.
I realize he can, but will he?

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
silentstriker said:
Even if he is, will he, and is it a good thing for his career to do so? Would you? Because I probably wouldn't.
Considering the history of the issue, if he is obviously chucking, I would warn him first, but yes I would call him blatant chucking.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
nightprowler10 said:
Considering the history of the issue, if he is obviously chucking, I would warn him first, but yes I would call him blatant chucking.
You're a braver man than I, then. I wouldn't take a chance with my international career, personally. Because how could I prove it?

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
silentstriker said:
You're a braver man than I, then. I wouldn't take a chance with my international career, personally. Because how could I prove it?
Read my post again, blatant chucking. Really, if it is obvious enough you wouldn't need to prove it. And to answer your next question, I never held it against Hair to no ball Murali. It was his arrogance on the issue that got on my nerves.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
nightprowler10 said:
Read my post again, blatant chucking. Really, if it is obvious enough you wouldn't need to prove it. And to answer your next question, I never held it against Hair to no ball Murali. It was his arrogance on the issue that got on my nerves.
Not about Hair, I never liked him anyway. And he also no balled Murali after agreeing to refer all chucking to the referee. He was in it for himself.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Lara and SRT far too high up there for my liking. Hammond should be number 2, and Richards should be 6th or higher.

C_C

International Captain
My rankings :

Batsmen:

1. Bradman
-------------------
-------------------
-------------------
-------------------
-------------------
2. Tendulkar
3. Sobers