• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting to break all batting Records

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mate, I specifically said that they weren't greentops. I don't really know how I can respond to a whole post about why they weren't greentops when I agree with you. :p

What I said was that they were sporting wickets, and they would have been considered such in any era. I'd say the first wicket in South Africa was a genuine seamer and any sort of score on that pitch was a great achievement, while the others were just helpful for the quicks, and the SCG was as well, at least in the first innings. The wicket in Bangladesh crumbled after the first day, and really wasn't hard to bat on before that at all. Ponting made his century in the fourth innings, and they certainly weren't easy runs.

Realistically, the guy has played 8 tests in the year, and at least four or five of them have had a bit in them for the bowlers, and there's only three you could call batting wickets, one of which Ponting only made 50 odd on while Gillespie made 200. The point isn't that Ponting has shown godlike genius and averaged over 100 on one minefield after another against great bowling attacks, but that the "flat wickets and crap bowlers" argument really doesn't apply to his year, this year. It probably applies to Yousuf a bit more, but I think he's been challenged more than he normally would have been in most years, with the tour of England (albeit a depleted England) and a couple of sporting wickets at home.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Jono said:
I'd also like to know which wickets Ponting played on have been greentops. Half of his tests? That's ridiculous. SA wickets during the test series was, and Melbourne's first innings was tough. The SCG wasn't a greentop, just aided swing and that pitch was as flat as anything come day 5. It was a disgrace.
What about the first innings (for both sides)? Even Brett Lee was getting it to jag. It was pretty underprepared, although the second innings was a lot more comfortable. Which you can also put down the amount of play lost - the pitch was effectively a Day 3.5 wicket because of the rain, and thus bowlers didn't have a chance to churn out more footmarks and create more wear.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
vic_orthdox said:
What about the first innings (for both sides)? Even Brett Lee was getting it to jag. It was pretty underprepared, although the second innings was a lot more comfortable. Which you can also put down the amount of play lost - the pitch was effectively a Day 3.5 wicket because of the rain, and thus bowlers didn't have a chance to churn out more footmarks and create more wear.
If my memory serves me correctly, batting was tough due to overhead conditions for much of the first day's play (with the ball moving a fair bit), I even remember Symonds swinging the ball a mile and Smith edging one to the keeper but the umpire unbelievably missed it.

Then it eased up and Kallis and Prince got stuck in. I can't remember the ball moving sideways off the pitch too often, but I will take your word for it. 451 is a fair total on a seaming track though, with even Botha feeling comfortable at the wicket. In Australia's innings I remember Gilly playing Nel with gay abandon when they were having that sledging duel, but maybe it was moving around off the deck during Ponting's knock. Not sure where that movement went though, because by day 4 and day 5 the test became a farce. Chasing 288 on a 5th day wicket at the SCG should never be as easy as it was made out to be by Australia.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Jono said:
Chasing 288 on a 5th day wicket at the SCG should never be as easy as it was made out to be by Australia.
As I said, an oft-overlooked part of that Test was the large amount of rain, which forced Smith's hand with the declaration, and reduced the wear that would've made the 4th innings more typical of the SCG.