• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final Bowler for 1966-85 World Test XI

Final Bowler for 1966-85 World Test XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aussie tragic

International Captain
It's now time for a 5-day Poll to pick the “Final Bowler” for the “1966-85 World Test XI”.

Only 1966-85 records are considered and all bowlers are the runner-ups from the previous pace and spin bowler polls.

Pace

Joel Garner: 51 tests, 220 wkts @ 21.78, SR 53.5, Econ 2.44 -- 609 runs @ 12.95 -- bat # 10
Richard Hadlee: 60 tests, 299 wkts @ 22.54, SR 51.2, Econ 2.64 -- 2199 runs @ 24.98 -- bat # 8
Michael Holding: 55 tests, 233 wkts @ 23.23, SR 50.8, Econ 2.74 -- 786 runs @ 12.88 -- bat # 10
Imran Khan: 54 tests, 249 wkts @ 22.43, SR 53.3, Econ 2.52 -- 2092 runs @ 31.22 -- bat # 8
Jeff Thomson: 51 tests, 200 wkts @ 28.00, SR 52.6, Econ 3.18 -- 679 runs @ 12.81 -- bat # 10

Spin

Bishan Bedi: 67 tests, 266 wkts @ 28.71, SR 80.3, Econ 2.14 -- 656 runs @ 8.98 -- bat # 11
Bhagwat Chandrasekhar: 50 tests, 215 wkts @ 29.66, SR 64.1, Econ 2.77 -- 142 runs @ 3.94 -- bat # 11
Abdul Qadir: 36 tests, 123 wkts @ 34.80, SR 76.3, Econ 2.73 -- 579 runs @ 15.23 -- bat # 9

Btw, the 1966-85 World Test XI so far:

1. Sunil Gavaskar (50.67)
2. Gordon Greenidge (49.14)
3. Viv Richards (54.02)
4. Greg Chappell (53.86)
5. Gary Sobers (59.10) (bowl: 32.62)
6. Ian Botham (36.13) (bowl: 26.37)
7. Alan Knott (32.75)
8. ---------------------
9. Malcom Marshall (17.77) (bowl: 22.11)
10. Dennis Lillee (13.71) (bowl: 23.92)
11. Derek Underwood (11.56) (bowl: 25.83)

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
Tough to separate Imran and Hadlee. The only reason I would vote for Hadlee is because Imran's already in the other team.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
adharcric said:
Tough to separate Imran and Hadlee. The only reason I would vote for Hadlee is because Imran's already in the other team.
SO what? If he is better, he should get the chance.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Hadlee was the better bowler, and we already have plenty of good batting, so we should go for the better bowler.

oz_fan

International Regular
Hadlee great fast bowler and more than useful with the bat. Imran is already in a team or else it would be close between the two for the bowler's spot.

adharcric

International Coach
Someone of the caliber of Hadlee certainly deserves to be in at least one of these teams. For that reason, I'll probably vote him in at the end.
For now, I'll wait until Saturday and listen for some convincing arguments in either direction.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Voted for Hadlee, because Imran's already in the 86- team and I think players should only be in one team. In the 86- team, others voted against Malcolm Marshall on the grounds they felt he belonged more in the 66-85 team, so I'm going to use the same criteria here.

Also, Hadlee was an extremely close third place in the "two opening bowlers" poll and I think on that showing he deserves the "final bowlers" spot, given we've picked our allrounder (Beefy).

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Sir Richard Hadlee by a short-head from Imran - and I've took into account the fact that with Sobers in the team you've already got two spinners.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
shortpitched713 said:
What does that have to do with anything? :wacko:
Only that how many times - outside India - do you need three spinners? If Sobers hadn't been picked I'd have probably picked a second spinner to have a balanced attack. With sobers there there was no need.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Poker Boy said:
Only that how many times - outside India - do you need three spinners? If Sobers hadn't been picked I'd have probably picked a second spinner to have a balanced attack. With sobers there there was no need.
Sobers will not be bowling much in this team. He can act as an 'extra' spinner or an 'extra' pace man if he is needed, but he won't be a regular part of the bowling attack as a second spinner, or as a fourth pace man.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
And that's exactly why someone like Border should be in the team instead of Botham, but we've been there. :p

Sobers is more than good enough to be a 5th bowling option in any side, and certainly removes any need for an extra spinning option.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Poker Boy said:
Oh, I wasn't even considering picking a spinner. Really a no-brainer for me for the reasons mentioned.