• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Awards

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
_Ed_ said:
Captain: Michael Vaughan (but can I be biased and complain about Fleming not even being nominated?)
How many games did NZ actually play in the qualifying period?

They never seem to have games, which probably counts against him.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
aussie tragic said:
The following are the records under consideration during the ICC award period of 1st Aug 2005 to 8th Aug 2006

Test Player of the Year

Muttiah Muralidaran - 15 tests, 108 wkts @ 19.37, 99 runs @ 6.60, 9 catches
Ricky Ponting - 16 tests, 1791 runs @ 68.88, 1 wkt @ 16.00, 17 catches
Shane Warne - 16 tests, 96 wkts @ 24.33, 410 runs @ 18.63, 11 catches
Mohammed Yousuf - 10 tests, 1337 runs @ 78.64, 0 wkts, 5 catches

ODI Player of the Year

Michael Hussey - 25 games, 769 runs @ 64.08, 1 wkt @ 63.00, 14 catches
Mahela Jayawardene - 43 games, 1466 runs @ 41.88, 0 wkts, 20 catches
Ricky Ponting - 20 games, 920 runs @ 48.42, 0 wkts, 11 catches
Yuvraj Singh - 35 games, 1496 runs @ 57.53, 9 wkts @ 38.77, 10 catches
Wow, check out Ponting's bowling average at test level. An emerging allrounder?:ph34r:
Test player: Yousuf
ODI player: Yuvraj
Overall player: Ponting (that one test wicket gets him over the line!)
Emerging player: Anyone but Asif (subject to his being found guilty. If he is cleared, no dramas with him winning it).
Captain: now, do we go with winning % or take other factors into account...........
Spirit of cricket: Bundy Rum.:happy:

adharcric

International Coach
Cricketer: Ricky Ponting (brilliant with the bat in both forms)
Test Player: Ricky Ponting (over Yousuf due to Yousuf's flat-track knocks vs India)
ODI Player: Yuvraj Singh (over Hussey due to more match-winning knocks)
Emerging Player (if Asif is guilty): Alastair Cook (over Bell for having a higher average ..)
Captain: Michael Vaughan (for the Ashes)
Female Cricketer: Karen Rolton
Spirit of Cricket: Sri Lanka
Umpire: Simon Taufel

Xuhaib

International Coach
adharcric said:
Cricketer: Ricky Ponting (brilliant with the bat in both forms)
Test Player: Ricky Ponting (over Yousuf due to Yousuf's flat-track knocks vs India)
ODI Player: Yuvraj Singh (over Hussey due to more match-winning knocks)
Emerging Player (if Asif is guilty): Alastair Cook (over Bell for having a higher average ..)
Captain: Michael Vaughan (for the Ashes)
Spirit of Cricket: Sri Lanka
Ponting's hundreds against Windies weren't made in the most testing of conditions or circumstances, btw Murali deserves it more then the two.

oz_fan

International Regular
Cricketer: Ricky Ponting
Test Player: Murali
ODI Player: Mike Hussey
Emerging Player: Ian Bell
Captain: Mahela Jayawardene
Spirit of Cricket: New Zealand

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My mistake, I forgot female cricketer in my first post. Anyway here's my pick.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Jono said:
What's also a joke is you also failing to acknowledge that there are other countries that play this sport other than England and Australia.

Can you explain to me how England not even giving a crap about one whole format of the game of cricket should result in them winning the 'spirit of cricket award'?
Steady on. I didn't realise I'd selected all Anglo-Aussie, it wasn't deliberate, though I'll admit my choices are biased because I mainly watch England and Australia. Last winter I still had Sky Sports and watched most of Aus's games, but I couldn't watch Ind V Pak. I did watch SA V NZ but was noneplussed. I don't have Sky Sports anymore so I've seen nothing non-England in a while.

And you're right, we probably don't deserve the Spirit of Cricket award, and I'll change my choice there for Sri Lanka.

FTR, I do recognise other countries play Cricket besides ourselves and those down under, like I say they are the two I mainly watch, but for me I was almost as happy when we won in Mumbai as when we won the Ashes, which for me suggests that I do recognise that other nations do have a significant aprt to play in the game.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
• Cricketer of the Year : Michael Hussey (Aus), Muttiah Muralitharan (Sri Lanka), Ricky Ponting (Aus) and Mohd Yousuf (Pak).

• Test Player of the Year : Muttiah Muralitharan, Ricky Ponting, Shane Warne (Aus) and Mohd Yousuf.

• ODI Player of the Year : Michael Hussey, Mahela Jayawardene (Sri Lanka), Ricky Ponting and Yuvraj Singh (India).

• Emerging Player of the Year : Alistair Cook, Ian Bell, Monty Panesar (all Eng) and Mohd Asif (Pak).

• Captain of the Year : Rahul Dravid (India), Ricky Ponting, Michael Vaughan (England) and Mahela Jayawardene.

• Woman Player of the Year : Karen Rolton (Aus), Anjum Chopra (India) and Katherne Brunt (Eng).

• Spirit of Cricket : India, England, New Zealand and Sri Lanka.

• Umpire of the Year : Aleem Dar (Pak), Rudi Koertzen (SA) and Simon Taufel (Aus).

Yuvraj a bit unlucky with the ODI award, but I think Hussey will take it.

adharcric

International Coach
Xuhaib said:
Ponting's hundreds against Windies weren't made in the most testing of conditions or circumstances, btw Murali deserves it more then the two.
Perhaps not, but nothing can compare with the tracks in the first and second test in Pakistan. It was ridiculous. Yousuf's been great even without those two knocks, but I'd take Ponting over him for the whole year. Murali's average jumps up 2 or 3 points when you take out Bangladesh, and a 21-22 average is nothing extraordinary for me.

luffy

International Captain
Cricketer of the Year : Michael Hussey (Aus), Muttiah Muralitharan (Sri Lanka), Ricky Ponting (Aus) and Mohd Yousuf (Pak).

• Test Player of the Year : Muttiah Muralitharan, Ricky Ponting, Shane Warne (Aus) and Mohd Yousuf.

• ODI Player of the Year : Michael Hussey, Mahela Jayawardene (Sri Lanka), Ricky Ponting and Yuvraj Singh (India).

• Emerging Player of the Year : Alistair Cook, Ian Bell, Monty Panesar (all Eng) and Mohd Asif (Pak).

• Captain of the Year : Rahul Dravid (India), Ricky Ponting, Michael Vaughan (England) and Mahela Jayawardene.

• Woman Player of the Year : Karen Rolton (Aus), Anjum Chopra (India) and Katherne Brunt (Eng).

• Spirit of Cricket : India, England, New Zealand and Sri Lanka.

• Umpire of the Year : Aleem Dar (Pak), Rudi Koertzen (SA) and Simon Taufel (Aus).

Dravid

International Captain
If there was an award for worst umpire, I'm sure there would be no contest for Steve Bucknor.

Anyway, anyone what time the awards are going to be on tomorrow in India?

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
Dravid said:
If there was an award for worst umpire, I'm sure there would be no contest for Steve Bucknor.
Billy Bowden is worse.

Dravid said:
Anyway, anyone what time the awards are going to be on tomorrow in India?
http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/266775.html

Player of the year: Ricky Ponting
Test player of the year: Ricky Ponting
ODI player of the year: Michael Hussey
Captain of the year: Mahela Jayawardene
Emerging player of the year: Ian Bell
Women's player of the year: Karen Rolton
Umpire of the year: Simon Taufel
Spirit of cricket award: England

World Test Team of the Year 1 Matthew Hayden, 2 Michael Hussey, 3 Ricky Ponting, 4 Rahul Dravid (capt), 5 Mohammed Yousuf, 6 Kumar Sangakkar (wk), 7 Andrew Flintoff, 8 Shane Warne, 9 Makhaya Ntini, 10 Muttiah Muralitharan, 11 Glenn McGrath. 12th man: Brett Lee.

World ODI Team of the Year 1 Adam Gilchrist (wkt), 2 MS Dhoni, 3 Ricky Ponting, 4 Mahela Jayawardene (capt), 5 Yuvraj Singh, 6 Michael Hussey, 7 Andrew Flintoff, 8 Irfan Pathan, 9 Brett Lee, 10 Shane Bond, 11 Muttiah Muralitharan. 12th man: Andrew Symonds.

Dravid

International Captain
Great Birtannia said:
Billy Bowden is worse.

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/266775.html

Player of the year: Ricky Ponting
Test player of the year: Ricky Ponting
ODI player of the year: Michael Hussey
Captain of the year: Mahela Jayawardene
Emerging player of the year: Ian Bell
Women's player of the year: Karen Rolton
Umpire of the year: Simon Taufel
Spirit of cricket award: England

World Test Team of the Year 1 Matthew Hayden, 2 Michael Hussey, 3 Ricky Ponting, 4 Rahul Dravid (capt), 5 Mohammed Yousuf, 6 Kumar Sangakkar (wk), 7 Andrew Flintoff, 8 Shane Warne, 9 Makhaya Ntini, 10 Muttiah Muralitharan, 11 Glenn McGrath. 12th man: Brett Lee.

World ODI Team of the Year 1 Adam Gilchrist (wkt), 2 MS Dhoni, 3 Ricky Ponting, 4 Mahela Jayawardene (capt), 5 Yuvraj Singh, 6 Michael Hussey, 7 Andrew Flintoff, 8 Irfan Pathan, 9 Brett Lee, 10 Shane Bond, 11 Muttiah Muralitharan. 12th man: Andrew Symonds.
I will avoid the results of the award you just posted and watch it on TV. Anyone know what time it's going to be on TV in India. I know it's tomorrow, don't know what time though.

Perm

Whats the deal with selecting Dhoni as an ODI opener when you already have Gilchrist? Surely that's a bit harsh on the likes of Gayle and Jayasuriya.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
Perm said:
Whats the deal with selecting Dhoni as an ODI opener when you already have Gilchrist? Surely that's a bit harsh on the likes of Gayle and Jayasuriya.
Chris Gayle is certainly stiff not to be in the one day team and Bracken (43 wickets @ 19.63) is a curious omission as well, he is no world beater but he has had a very good year. The test team looks pretty good although I'm sure there are a number of unlucky players as there usually are in something so subjective.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Nice to see Lee getting 12th man for the test side. Very much deserved.

Can't argue too much with any of the awards actually. Yuvraj a little unlucky to miss out on the ODI award, and Dhoni as an ODI opener is a bit strange, but that's it.

Actually, I'm also a bit surprised that Bond made the ODI side ahead of Bracken and Ntini. He hasn't really played that many games against good opposition in the last year.

Perm

I got test player, captain, womans player and umpire all correct. Pity I made my prediction about Asif before the drugs scandal.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Murali again snubbed by the ICC awards . This despite Ranatunga being part of the selection panel (and most of the Selection panel being Asians) !!

One wonders if Ranatunga sold Murali to get Mahela the Captain of the Year award !!